BR CBT 6 BS 103

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
exam6bsp2fig1.gif

The H NMR peak at 7.37 ppm in Figure 1 can BEST be described as a:
a. doublet of doublets with a peak area ratio that is equal to 1 : 2 : 2 : 1
b. doublet of doublets with a peak area ratio that is equal to 1 : 1 : 1 : 1
c. quartet with a peak area ratio of 1 : 3 : 3 : 1
d. quartet with a peak area ratio of 1 : 2 : 2 : 1

Answer A is the best answer. The peak is not a quartet, because the baseline drops to zero in the middle, and the symmetry is not even throughout (i.e., the peaks are not evenly spaced). This eliminates choices C and D. The ratio of the peaks is not 1 : 1 : 1 : 1, so choice B can be eliminated. Perhaps it is not a perfect 1 : 2 : 2 : 1 ratio, but choice A is the best answer. The best answer is A

I'm a little confused as to why its not considered a quartet.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a quartet to me, Doublet-Doublet should have 4 of the same amplitude signals ?

thanks for the pictures, yeah reading through TBR it showed us that a doublet of doublets indicated a benzene ring. so we're all in agreement this should be a quartet?

Members don't see this ad :)
bump

Can someone please explain why this is not a 1:1:1:1? The benzene is para-substituted so there are only 4 Ph-H bonds and the integration of 4H supports that. I'm really worried about this. Thanks in advance!

Because the diagram clearly shows two central peaks that are twice as high as two lateral peaks. Remember what you see in the 1:2:2:1 ratio is the relative ratio and not the absolute ratio. A 1:2:2:1 ratio still supports the 4H integration - 2/3:4/3:4/3:2/3, which add up to 4H.