acetylmandarin

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Did anyone have trouble with this chapter? I've read it twice now and I am really lost. I have spent two days trying to understand this. I also don't really understand any of the phase I passages except for the Millikan oil drop experiment. Magnetism was never covered in my physics classes, and I'm also not familiar with that section on electronic dipoles and calculating torque for charges? That stuff is completely foreign to me

alpha-GTP

Where's my 5' UTR?
Jun 16, 2016
Some membrane somewhere
Status
Pre-Medical
Magnetism is pretty low yield, so I wouldn't focus on it if you are limited for time to do content review. You may at best get a free response question out of this. With electricity, I would focus on circuit elements and maybe electrostatics. These were not my strength and I learned this stuff 10+ years ago, so I had to do a lot of content review.

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Focus on the practice problems.
Get your equations and units down.

Joules, coulombs, volts, resistance, resistivity, watts, etc...

R=(resistivity) Length/cross sectional area
P=IV P=(I^2)R P= (V^2)/R
G= -nFE (still falls under electricity)
V=IR
parallel = same voltage drop (IR=IR) series = same current (I=I)
capacitors in series and parallel. resistors in series and parallel
q=CV
Fe=kQq/r^2 and E = kQ/r^2 so... Fe=qE V=kQ/r qV=Potential energy 0.5mv^2 = Kinetic energy (just general physics but is brought up alot in particles accelerated in a field)
F=qvBsin(theta)

I'm probably missing a few things, but this is most of what you need to know how to apply.

Reactions: BerkReviewTeach

BerkReviewTeach

Company Rep & Bad Singer
Vendor
10+ Year Member
May 25, 2007
Did anyone have trouble with this chapter? I've read it twice now and I am really lost. I have spent two days trying to understand this. I also don't really understand any of the phase I passages except for the Millikan oil drop experiment. Magnetism was never covered in my physics classes, and I'm also not familiar with that section on electronic dipoles and calculating torque for charges? That stuff is completely foreign to me
This is one of the sections where you are at a disadvantage using our old books as opposed to the new ones. While I'm not sure I 100% agree with alpha-GTP that it is low yield, it is certainly not high yield. Your best bet is to focus on the passages that involve electrophoresis, the right-hand-rule, and m/q ratios. The updated book has reduced content and more biological examples here, so I'd recommend emphasizing those subjects when you use the older materials.

OP
acetylmandarin

acetylmandarin

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2014
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
This is one of the sections where you are at a disadvantage using our old books as opposed to the new ones. While I'm not sure I 100% agree with alpha-GTP that it is low yield, it is certainly not high yield. Your best bet is to focus on the passages that involve electrophoresis, the right-hand-rule, and m/q ratios. The updated book has reduced content and more biological examples here, so I'd recommend emphasizing those subjects when you use the older materials.
:(. I'm using the updated book

Horse Apiece

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical