BR FLs vs GS FLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am postponing my test date by about three weeks to get more practice in.
In this additional time, I was wondering if I should buy GS tests or more BR tests. I already have BR tests 1-5, and all of AAMC; should I go with a couple more BR tests, or should I buy GS tests instead?

Members don't see this ad.

The only reason I'd say go with some GS tests is due to cost. BR doesn't offer their practice tests separately. You would probably be forced to buy the $200 bundle. Additionally, since you have 1-5 even if you could get 6 and 7 for a reduced cost, that's not enough for 3 weeks.

If you haven't used your practice tests, you should simply schedule them later in your schedule. To fill in the gap, pick up the TPRH Science and Verbal Workbooks. If you can't find those, then the EK 16 mini MCAT book (not that great) and the Official MCAT Guide (the best available practice material, but only about 1 practice FL's worth of passages) are good choices.

I should explained myself better.

If I don't delay, I will have done AAMC tests 7-9 as well as BR tests 1-5.

If I do delay, I will have completed these tests--aamc 7-9, and BR tests 1 to 5--and, in addition, will have an extra 3 weeks to complete 7 more (I figured 7 tests in 3 weeks is a fair number, without burning myself out). so, with these 7 tests, I plan to do AAMC 4-6, and 10; thus, I will still need two more FLs to fill out the 3 weeks.

for these 2 tests, should I go with 2 BR FLs (test 6 & 7--which they said I can buy for $50, not the whole bundle price), or should I buy 2 GS tests?

**by the way, I didnt schedule to take the test in the "official guide to mcat book," but you think I should take that one?

In that case, go with the BR tests. It's a better idea to take your tests in this order: AAMC #4-6 -> BR #1-7 -> AAMC #7-10. Don't use AAMC #7-9 first because they're closer to the current MCAT than AAMC #4-6.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was going to do the AAMC 7-10 first, because I've heard they're harder; thus, I would have higher scores from AAMC 4-6, and, by doing them last, I would have more confidence going into the test. but I guess that may not be the best thing to do.

while on the topic of ordering the practice tests, when should I do the test from the "official guide"?

I was going to do the AAMC 7-10 first, because I've heard they're harder; thus, I would have higher scores from AAMC 4-6, and, by doing them last, I would have more confidence going into the test. but I guess that may not be the best thing to do.

while on the topic of ordering the practice tests, when should I do the test from the "official guide"?

Yeah, don't do that with your tests. The only thing taking AAMC #4-6 last will give you is a false sense of security which will probably be crushed the moment see the real deal. You need to work up in difficulty. Besides, as long as you're thoroughly reviewing your tests and addressing your weaknesses, you shouldn't see a drastic drop in score when you reach AAMC #7-10. One of the reasons you usually see people's practice scores staying fairly constant despite the increased difficulty is because they're getting better with each test.

You should probably do the passages from the official guide around the time your ready for AAMC #9 or 10.