BR Organic (Molecular Structure:Fundamental reactivity) Basicity: example 1.13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the "solution" part for this example. I'm rather confused with how you find out that the nitro group is electron-withdrawing. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have TBR Ochem, but it has to do with resonance structures. This is the same principle that is used to determine whether something is an O/P, versus an M position substituter in EAS.

I just found it easier to find a table of what is electron donating/withdrawing and what adds O,P vs M and memorize it.

Think of the structure of NO2, it has 3 electronegative elements AND it is resonance stabilized with a double bond split between the nitrogen and both oxygens. This makes it a very good electron withdrawing group --> increasing aciditiy --> decreasing the conjugate base's basicity.

If the functional group is your only problem, memorize.

If it is too hard for you to reason, follow the above advice and memorize the major groups and their effect.

If I didn't answer your question as you had hoped, give me some more info on where you are having problems.

I will not insult you and say that memorizing is rarely enough and that you must be able to apply/reason even with the items memorized.

No, I'm not that kind of guy. ;)

Last edited: