Brag bout your Low GPA today

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UCLABruin,
shoot for the stars! You shouldn't start out your college career saying to yourself "All I need is a ..." because an important part of getting into medical school is being able to push yourself to work as hard as you possibly can, and you'll be competing against a lot of people who can do that very very very well. Keep your standards high, then by the end of your college career when it's time to apply, adcoms will see this and hopefully you will measure up to their high standards also.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLABruin...I agree...your freshman year will probably be your easiest so knock em dead! Shoot for all A's! Good luck!

Michelys : where can i get info on the international research program you did? It sounds very interesting!
thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement! Honestly, I am working the hardest that I have ever worked because I want to go to med. school so badly... I just hope that my best can cut it! :D

Tater tot i just PM'ed you :) !

I am tired of people saying, "There is more to getting into med school than GPA. You need to give your other stats also." I agree with this 100% that GPA is not everything, but....the person who started this thread wanted to hear everyone's low GPA and not all of their MCAT scores, EC's, rec. letters, undergrad research, etc. If you want all of this other info, start your own thread. It just gets annoying with all of the other info when that is not what this is about. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by MyEyesMesmerize:
•I agree with sandflea. Post bacc courses are looked at positively because they are almost always upper level science courses. Taking these is just like taking them as an undergrad but if you do extremely well it looks good because it is shown as a separate GPA on your AMCAS. Also, there are many post bacc classes out there in programs that allow you to take courses that are offered to first year med students. So doing well in those will definitely be looked at positively.•••••In many post-bacc courses one actually receives some kind of master's degree.. therefore, these courses cannot be included in the undergraduate gpa.

Michelys, I have a similar "turn-around" type story yet I am not sure if I should waste the whole personal statement on it since it is pretty complicated. How much of your personal statement did you use to address this issue, and how did you go about doing it in a positive way? My turnaround is not as intersting as a friend with cystic fibrosis, but it concerns a horrible break-up with an long-term girlfriend. Thus, I am not sure how appropriate this is. What do you guys think?

Hey sng...turn on your PM thing or PM me!