brain injury and ritalin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one have advice on what types of patients would benefit from ritalin use? Any specific thing to look for before starting ritalin that might predict outcome or is it one of those, "this patient isn't initiating much and not very alert, lets give ritalin a try" kind of thing...

also, do any of you do routine neuroendocrine screening in your brain injured patients when they are still inpatients?

Members don't see this ad.

Any one have advice on what types of patients would benefit from ritalin use? Any specific thing to look for before starting ritalin that might predict outcome or is it one of those, "this patient isn't initiating much and not very alert, lets give ritalin a try" kind of thing...

also, do any of you do routine neuroendocrine screening in your brain injured patients when they are still inpatients?

Ritalin: Methylphenidate & related stimulants have effects that can/are regularly seen in non-brain injured individuals, hence the widespread use/abuse/controversy in ADHD, college students, etc. For my patients with brain injury, however, I most frequently use it in patients with hypoarousal and/or impaired initiation. It also has demonstrated benefit in improving attention for some patients. You shouldn't have to wait long to see a therapeutic effect, a decided advantage when titrating dose. When compared with other classes of drugs used to enhance cognitive function, stimulants such as ritalin tend to have a higher "hit rate" (proportion of patients reporting/observed with favorable response.)

Neuroendocrine screening: A trendy, albeit controversial topic. Lots of articles on this issue in the last few years, particularly with increased attention regarding growth hormone. Ghigo et al. (Brain Inj 2005; 19: 711-24) recommend systematic screening of "all patients with moderate-to-severe TBI at risk of developing pituitary deficits." The controversy revolves around the fact that while neuroendocrine abnormalities do occur, and are more prevalent in individuals with poorer outcomes, few data exist to connect the poorer outcomes to the neuroendocrine abnormalities. In other words, if provocative testing can find 20% of severe TBI pts with abnormalities of growth hormone release, there is far less evidence to suggest that GH administration will improve global outcome (or any outcome, other than lean body mass perhaps). I used to routinely screen for these, but it is such a low-yield practice that I now employ it only in pts with clinical history suggestive of problems-->e.g. interrupted menses, hyponatremia, etc., or in SAH secondary to ACoA aneurysm rupture.

Thanks for that info. I was wondering because 1) for my own curiosity 2) my BI attending (not a BI fellowship trained) has been on a neuroendocrine screening kick lately, and wasn't really sure why. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
-->e.g. interrupted menses, hyponatremia, etc., or in SAH secondary to ACoA aneurysm rupture.

I've seen a lot of interrupted menses in mild TBI - usually unrecognized after MVA w/o Fx's - sent home from ER same day, devlope whiplash symptoms, mild cognitive impairment (post-concussive symptoms mainly). Usually only lasts a couple months, but scares the hell out of the ladies. I tell them to do 1x/wk home HCG test until they're satisfied they are not prenant. Period almost always comes back in a few months. I also tell them if it's bothering them enough, have PCP or GYN run tests. I'm sure if I ordered blood tests I'd either mis-interpret them or not order something I should have.

I've heard stories of pituitary hypothyroidism induced by TBI, but can't say I've seen it. DI once on inpt.

I've seen a lot of interrupted menses in mild TBI - usually unrecognized after MVA w/o Fx's - sent home from ER same day, devlope whiplash symptoms, mild cognitive impairment (post-concussive symptoms mainly). Usually only lasts a couple months, but scares the hell out of the ladies. I tell them to do 1x/wk home HCG test until they're satisfied they are not prenant. Period almost always comes back in a few months. I also tell them if it's bothering them enough, have PCP or GYN run tests. I'm sure if I ordered blood tests I'd either mis-interpret them or not order something I should have.

I've heard stories of pituitary hypothyroidism induced by TBI, but can't say I've seen it. DI once on inpt.

Altered/interrupted menses are among the least specific and more transient of neuroendocrine signs, and as you have observed, can be seen among women with lesser degrees of injury severity. Hypothyroidism after TBI is among the least prevalent of the neuroendocrine abnormalities, probably fewer than 2% of my inpts with severe TBI during the years I was conducting prospective screening.

Conversely, disturbances of Na (hypo>>hyper) are relatively common, particularly early post-severe injury and with aneurysmal SAH. Moreover, these can get the patient in big trouble if not recognized quickly and properly. Serum Na within 130-150 tends not to be clinically noticeable in my experience; <130 and >150 can result in cognitive/behavioral/other changes, and <125/>155 is spooky territory. (I have seen Na as low as 112, and as high as 178 [in pts that survived]--Yikes!!!).