Brainstorming Ideas for Challenge/Adversity Essays. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfijiefjieji

Reaction score
It looks like most schools have a secondary essay question that pertains to how one deals with adversity and I was thinking about my life and have struggled to come up with a topic that truly answers the question. After brainstorming a little bit, I've come up with the following topics and I would love to get the thoughts of some of the people on this forum.

1. Last year, my mom was hospitalized due to a progressing chronic disease and that really took a toll on me mentally. I began to stay up at night thinking of worst-case scenarios and letting myself get consumed with bad thoughts about the future. In order to cope, I tried to do things that took my mind off of reality for a while. I started playing intramural basketball and began meditating every night before sleeping. I basically learned to free my mind and stop thinking about things out of my control.

2. My grandmother does not speak any English at all so there is a significant language barrier when I communicate with her. This always used to bum me out because she is always so loving towards her grandchildren but I never really had the chance to reciprocate due to an inability to speak the language. Over the past few years, I have used my passion for music and played the guitar for her which really helped to strengthen our bond and lend a shared activity that we both enjoy together. This essay would basically be about using other means (rather than words) to connect personally with people.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

I think in terms of "adversity" dealing with a chronic disease of a loved one is probably stronger personally. Especially if you can really focus on how you got over those issues and what you learned from it. Although I'd say the second topic would be good for another essay prompt, maybe one in which they ask for an "obstacle". I know those sound similar, but that is kinda what I would think anyways?

Reactions: 1 user
Dealing with personal or family illness is a very common topic. My only hesitation with #1 is that since your mother's disease is chronic and progressive, it raises the question of how you would react if her course were to take a turn for the worse during medical school or beyond. So for these topics, how you write about it matters. I would avoid language that paints the 'old you' as an emotional mess (e.g "consumed with bad thoughts"), using 'softer' language in these situations may be helpful.

Also, be ready to talk about this during interviews if asked. It'll become fair game. I've seen applicants completely break down when talking about these highly emotionally charged topics. And while showing emotion is, in my opinion, perfectly okay, breaking down has definitely thrown off interviewees and prevented them from highlighting their strengths. My advice for dealing with this is to simply practice saying these things out loud to desensitize the raw emotion that comes with these topics.

#2 would make for a good obstacle essay. Could still probably work if spun for an adversity essay, i.e. overcoming language barriers. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 1 users