brand new PhD/DO degree at PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newyorkcougar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although PCOM already has a DO/PhD program with a PhD in public policy, I just heard that they are starting a joint degree sicence PhD on campus. If anyone is interested in a joint degree, I would call PCOM admissions and ask about the new program. I am not sure if they are officially discussing it or not, but it is certainly in the works!

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting, thanks! I thought about doing a combined degree for a while, but then I decided against it. I am getting old and would like to get on with my life and actually make some money while I am young enough to enjoy it.;) Besides, PCOM takes WAY TOO LONG!!! I withdrew my application. But, thanks for the info anyway! I am sure there will be plenty of people interested in it. :D

Interesting, thanks! I thought about doing a combined degree for a while, but then I decided against it. I am getting old and would like to get on with my life and actually make some money while I am young enough to enjoy it.;) Besides, PCOM takes WAY TOO LONG!!! I withdrew my application. But, thanks for the info anyway! I am sure there will be plenty of people interested in it. :D

You're not too old. I'm older than you and I'm considering it. It really just depends on whether you really want to do it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not too old. I'm older than you and I'm considering it. It really just depends on whether you really want to do it or not.
I think women with a family are more inclined to just get the degree and move on. I have the same feelings as DoctorMom. I seriously have considered DO/PhD programs but the thought of 7 years of school then 3 years of residency just boggles me. Plus many of the programs for fundign would be at more "academic" like hospitals and I don't know if I will end up at one with what my husband and I are looking at ....

I had heard that this program was opening up on the DO/PhD thread and I'm glad that more of these programs are popping up. Hopefully it won't be too long until full funding pops in ;)

You have to be at least a first year student in order to qualify for this program.

You are sort of right about needing to be a first year. The PhD in public policy you apply to after admission. But the new PhD in science you actually apply to from the beginning of the process. They actually want you to be involved in the PhD from your first term (during SPOM). I wish they had done it in time for me!

:) I am 29 and have four children and I am tired of not having any money and not being able to pay my bills. So, I decided that as much as I enjoy research, I would focus on just the medical degree at this point so that I can get through school and make some money. Maybe at some point in the future I would go back and do a PhD. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!:D

You are sort of right about needing to be a first year. The PhD in public policy you apply to after admission. But the new PhD in science you actually apply to from the beginning of the process. They actually want you to be involved in the PhD from your first term (during SPOM). I wish they had done it in time for me!

This is another example of how PCOM listens to their students. There was a huge movement to get a science phD and the administration listened. I agree too bad it wasn't there for us.

Its hard to have complaints about PCOM because they are pretty good at addressing them if you bring them to their attention in the main meetings.

You are right...they do a pretty good job of listening to us. I mean, they didn't change to pass/fail, but they really do listen.

:) I am 29 and have four children and I am tired of not having any money and not being able to pay my bills. So, I decided that as much as I enjoy research, I would focus on just the medical degree at this point so that I can get through school and make some money. Maybe at some point in the future I would go back and do a PhD. Thanks for the vote of confidence though!:D

My class had a 1st year who was 51 years old.