Brand New to Forum.. been seriously thinking about Pharmacy

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I have been seriously thinking about pharmacy lately, and have so in the past. I have had a few years in college working in a hospital pharmacy. I have a BS undergrad and MPH in Epidemiology graduate. I currently make a great salary working for a hospital in infection prevention and epidemiology.
I would have to fulfil several pre-recs before applying to the pharmacy program. In order to not to be spending several years completely these pre-recs, I feel I would need to quit my job and simply focus on bulling through and getting all the pre-recs completed, study and take PCAT test.
I could move home with my parents and do this. BUT I would be taking a significant financial cut etc.
Has anyone else had to do this? Luckily I have the support of my family. Thanks in advance. I'm glad I found this forum! :)

Nov 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi everyone. This is my first post to this forum. I have been seriously thinking about pharmacy lately, and have so in the past. I have had a few years in college working in a hospital pharmacy. I have a BS undergrad and MPH in Epidemiology graduate. I currently make a great salary working for a hospital in infection prevention and epidemiology.
I would have to fulfil several pre-recs before applying to the pharmacy program. In order to not to be spending several years completely these pre-recs, I feel I would need to quit my job and simply focus on bulling through and getting all the pre-recs completed, study and take PCAT test.
I could move home with my parents and do this. BUT I would be taking a significant financial cut etc.
Has anyone else had to do this? Luckily I have the support of my family. Thanks in advance. I'm glad I found this forum! :)
Hi,
welcome new folx,

You are making great money in the hospital, so i think you should keep that job unless you have been really into this career or your salary , you think, is still less than pharmacists'. After grad from pharmacy schools, it's not easy to get a job too

Anyway, good luck

pearljam5a1

I'm still alive
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2009
Memphis, TN
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Are you happy at your current job? If yes, then stay there. The fact that you are considering another career makes me think that you are not though.

If you are considering pharmacy for the financial aspect then I think you would be ill advised to switch careers due to the loans/tuition and the lost pay from your current employment. There's also the relative instability of what the future holds for pharmacy employment.

Switching careers right now seems like a big risk. I would definitely list the pros and cons to either scenario and make the decision on what you want from life.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey Pbhl18! What is it about pharmacy that interests you to make a big jump? It's just that I noticed you didn't mentioned why. I think that if pharmacy is something you seriously want to become, then pursue it!

PonderingChoice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2008
Status
Pharmacy Student
If you're over 30, and you're making a good salary, you might be LOSING money by pursuing pharmacy.

If you're really unsatisfied with your job, then maybe it's something to consider, but the years of pre-reqs and schooling plus the tuition and interest really cuts into your life-time earnings.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I just really enjoyed working pharmacy when I did in college. Also, I feel like I need to couple something with my MPH. There are many pros.. the cons would be leaving my job and taking a bunch of classes but it would all be for a good reason. I really do not feel like there is a lot of growth within my current job either.
I'm currently 27 years old.