skybannister

10+ Year Member
May 21, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi guys,
I'm from Brazil and moved here in middle school.
Does being from South America (Brazil) qualify me as an urm. Oh, i'm not an international applicant because i have residency here.

Thanks for all the help

DrPavoreal

Full of Optimism
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2004
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't think so...

I know that Brazilians are considered "Latino", but I don't think they're considered "Hispanic" despite being from South America...

Are you a "White", "Black", or "mixed" Brazilian? What box do you check for race? :confused:

Here's a sticky thread.

devilpup

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2006
CA
restlessmd.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
i'll just put Latino
Good for you.

Interestingly, the highly unquestionable and indisputably valid Wikipedia :rolleyes: says,

"though as officially defined in the United States, "Latino" does not include Brazilian Americans,[5][6] and specifically refers to "Spanish culture or origin",[5][6] some of the dictionary definitions may include them and/or Brazilians in general. Furthermore, Hispanic or Latino origin is, like race, a matter of self-identification in the US, and government and non-government questionnaires, including the census form,[11] usually contain a blank entry space wherein respondents can indicate a Spanish/Hispanic/Latino origin other than the few (Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Cuban) which are specified; presumably, Brazilian Americans can thus self-identify as being of Hispanic or Latino ethnicity — as can anyone with no Latin American background, however. Brazilian Americans are not included with Hispanics and Latinos in the government's population reports.[12][6]"