Break between 2nd and 3rd year...getting nervous

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdaav

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I took time off after second year. We're more than halfway through my break, over which time I've been teaching and doing research. Now, I'm starting to get a bit nervous about my "knowledge loss." I've started reviewing and things, but wanted advice. Those of you who took time off between second and third year: What did you do? How did you fare/are you faring during third year? Any advice?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same situation - I'm been working on my MPH this year and have stepped far away from medical school. I've thoroughly enjoyed my break, but am getting a bit nervous (and excited) to start back up in June.

I've spoken with the Deans and other students for advice, and they have all recommended brushing up on clinical skills. I'm going to go in a couple of times a month to work on history and physical with one of the internal med attendings. Other than that, I plan on skimming Mosby's.

I've heard everyone enters third year a little shaky and unsure. I think we have an advantage of being fresh and not coming straight from the stress of boards. Good luck!

My advice would be to relax. You'll pick it up in a week. 3rd year is about showing up, doing what you're told, appearing interested, being pleasant to be around, and trying to learn something. Don't stress over the H&Ps or reading a Mosby's. Beginning third years, whether they're fresh from MS2 courses or have taken time off, know absolutely nothing, so you won't be at a disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
To the Original Poster sdaav:

How did everything work out?

He or she was last seen on SDN in half a decade ago and matched to paediatrics (according to the profile page). Probably worked out well.

I bet his/her ortho dreams were shattered due to critical knowledge lost during the year off and he/she had to do peds

Reactions: 4 users
I bet his/her ortho dreams were shattered due to critical knowledge lost during the year off and he/she had to do peds

Harsh but very likely. All that forgotten biohemistry minutiae probably sank him or her during aways. "Good clinically, but during an overnight call could not remember that Complex II is synonymous with succinate dehydrogenase. Fund of knowledge commensurate with a premedical student."

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

"Fund of knowledge commensurate with a premedical student."

100% serious that sentence showed up on a MS4's evaluation.

That MS4 is my friend and, to be honest, probably deserved it. I have no idea how he made it that far (there are no board exams in Australia, and premedical students don't have to take science classes, which made the comment infinitely more hilarious).

He ended up getting kicked out and somehow landed into finance. We don't keep in touch, but all I see on his Facebook are pictures of him and models and bottles, which is yet another stinging reminder that I picked the wrong profession.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
"Fund of knowledge commensurate with a premedical student."

100% serious that sentence showed up on a MS4's evaluation.

That MS4 is my friend and, to be honest, probably deserved it. I have no idea how he made it that far (there are no board exams in Australia, and premedical students don't have to take science classes, which made the comment infinitely more hilarious).

He ended up getting kicked out and somehow landed into finance. We don't keep in touch, but all I see on his Facebook are pictures of him and models and bottles, which is yet another stinging reminder that I picked the wrong profession.

Hm well looks like I need to quit residency

Reactions: 1 user