Break down from primaries to acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any stats on average number of secondaries, interviews, and acceptances people tend to get based on how many primaries they have?

I mean something like people tending to lose 50% at each stage (20 primaries --> 10 secondaries --> 5 interviews --> 2-3 acceptances), for example. I know there's no set number for this, but I was thinking maybe people had general ideas about it. I also know that a lot of schools send secondaries to everyone, so that can mess stuff up, so no need to point this out again.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know of any stats on average number of secondaries, interviews, and acceptances people tend to get based on how many primaries they have?

I mean something like people tending to lose 50% at each stage (20 primaries --> 10 secondaries --> 5 interviews --> 2-3 acceptances), for example. I know there's no set number for this, but I was thinking maybe people had general ideas about it. I also know that a lot of schools send secondaries to everyone, so that can mess stuff up, so no need to point this out again.

Thanks.

pretty much everyone gets secondaries from everywhere (except UCSF) if their GPA/MCAT is remotely acceptable (ie. >3.0 and >27) . It's free money for the school.

Very few schools screen pre-secondary.. If you are truly interested in statistics from an academic perspective, try the premium US news report (gives you the exact break downs, applied, interviewed, accepted, matriculated for each school, usually by gender, residency and nationality). This will tell you absolutely nothing about how you will do - that depends completely on the strength of your application and how interesting you are. There is definitely a large element of luck in the application process, but if you look at the overall statistics remember there are very different populations of students being lumped into a couple of categories. Stop wasting time and start working on your personal statement. :p

Thanks.

There are so many factors that it's impossible to say. Here's my breakdown though: 11 MD primaries, 1 DO primary, 12 secondaries, 2 MD interviews, 1 DO interview, all 3 interviews led to waitlists. Depressing as my current situation is, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be yours. Numbers are just statistics, so take them with a grain of salt.