Break down your 2007/2008 USMLE Test by Subjects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who took Step One this year or last year I was hoping you could break down your test into what percentage of questions you had for the various core subjects: Path, Micro, Phys, Pharm, Anatomy, Neuro, Embryo, Biostats, Biochem, Cell and Molecular Bio, Immuno, and anything else I might be forgetting. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who took Step One this year or last year I was hoping you could break down your test into what percentage of questions you had for the various core subjects: Path, Micro, Phys, Pharm, Anatomy, Neuro, Embryo, Biostats, Biochem, Cell and Molecular Bio, Immuno, and anything else I might be forgetting. Thanks in advance.

every person gets a test with a different breakdown of subjects...apart from a few high yield subjects (biochem, path, micro, neuroanatomy), the other topics can be either be over-represented (>30 questions) or under-represented (<10 questions) in any individual's test.

every person gets a test with a different breakdown of subjects...apart from a few high yield subjects (biochem, path, micro, neuroanatomy), the other topics can be either be over-represented (>30 questions) or under-represented (<10 questions) in any individual's test.

This is not supposed to be true - the distribution is supposed to be equal on everyone's exam, though the individual questions themselves will be different.

This is not supposed to be true - the distribution is supposed to be equal on everyone's exam, though the individual questions themselves will be different.

I'd imagine it goes:
Tier 1: Path, Pharm, Physio
Tier 2: Micro, Biochem, Neuro
Tier 3: Behavioral Sciences (Psyc, ethics, child development....epi) - Don't overlook this section
Tier 4: Anatomy
[Histo (which you'd get from knowing path and everything else anyways)]

Then of course you could go by system for each topic...

Members don't see this ad :)

sounds like you have some sources/references for this statement. care to share?

I agree with MedLover 25 except that i think biochem is a little on the lower side but may be higher in some peoples tests. Also i had a ridiculous amount of embryology which i think replaced a lot of my anatomy questions....so i also agree with lankysudanese. Further proving his and my point is that my brother took the exam on the same day as me in the same testing center and he swore he had over 75 questions on neuro alone which would make that an anomaly and not a lot of pharmacology at all which i had a buttload of. so yeah tests are different all over i think the only constant is that path is the biggest :)

Also bear in mind that experimental questions could be focused on a single subject (I got the same question worded 4 different ways) and skew your interpretation of the breakdown.