break in a pre-M1 summer rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CielloStelatto

Non-member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here taken a break/vacation during a summer research rotation?

I'm getting ready to start an mstp this fall/summer, though I'm not certain yet where I'll end up. It's likely that I'll end up somewhere that requires a research rotation before the summer of the first year. However, my family has been planning a vacation for a 50th anniversary for quite some time. The fam was planning on going 9 days, which would mean 7 week/work days gone from the rotation (only 8 weeks, most likely). I feel really awful going back on my family's plans, but I'm also afraid of asking for such a long period of time off from a first rotation (or any short rotation, for that matter). Would it be bad to ask for that time off.. to find a lab that would accommodate that break? Perhaps if I only asked for 5 days off? Still... a whole week out of 8 total... i just don't know.

input?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm intending to do the same.... or hoping to start my rotation late. I have some family outside the US I haven't seen in nearly 8 years and there's no question that I'm going to go visit them before I begin med school.

my sense so far is that some schools are more lenient than others. I'm guessing almost anywhere as long as you notify your program director well in advance at least something can be set up between you and your PI. If a school has accepted you and they know that the trip is very important family-wise I cannot see them flat out telling you "NO." They want you there.

Ciello seems to have a good perspective and a situation that should be viewed favorably. Flashback much less so - you've had no opportunity to make this trip in the last 8 years? Remember you are ASKING them, not NOTIFYING them. I think they're going to tell you to wait for a semester break.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once you have an acceptance in hand, tell the program what you want to do. They should be understanding. If not, that may be a tip that he program is a bit too rigid or controlling.

Make sure you have good communication, because skipping orientation week or the annual MD/PhD retreat less excusable than missing part of a likely unimportant summer rotation. Learning to assert yourself (appropriately) is a key skill. Tell them what you need, make it clear that it is important to you, and tell them as early as you feel is practical (well before the rotation begins).

I would phrase it between notification and a query - with a tone similar to 'I intend to spend time with my family this summer (when/duration). How can this best be arranged?' If this is really important to you, then demonstrate it. It depends on the department and their regulations, but there is no harm in asking. You will be making a lot of decisions in the future between family and work - figure out your priorities and live by them.

....You will be making a lot of decisions in the future between family and work - figure out your priorities and live by them.
There's a hint of naivete in this last comment, or maybe I've misunderstood.

To "prioritize" time between family and work is important, but doing so doesn't mean that family/personal matters can always come first. Professional employment and opportunities come at the price of responsibilities and expectations. The normal expectation in academia is that vacations are taken during term breaks.

There's a hint of naivete in this last comment, or maybe I've misunderstood.

Dude, I completely agree with you, but do you really need to indict others' supposed naivete or lack of perspective each time you weigh into this discussion? Keep up the good advice; lose the air of superiority.

To "prioritize" time between family and work is important, but doing so doesn't mean that family/personal matters can always come first.

This idea is your own - I did not suggest this concept. My statement was more in regard to unreasonable expectations on your time. Of course you will make sacrifices. Is missing a little time during a summer rotation worth the mental stability afforded by bonding with your family during this important life transiition? I think so. However, you must make your own decision. I am not suggesting you can simply take random weeks off of clinical duty or not show up for 2 months during your PhD. Neither is the OP.

The normal expectation in academia is that vacations are taken during term breaks.
I did not suggest otherwise. A student (read: not employee) entering a nearly decade-long, emotionally challenging medical program is entitled to more freedom than a salaried faculty member. You make sacrifices - I am suggesting that you do not simply sign away your family/life when you enter this program.

Last edited:
I am suggesting that you do not simply sign away your family/life when you enter this program.

hmmmmm i could have sworn that was a part of the contract I signed last year....

haha just kidding...but not really.

anyways, to the OP, I would say as long as you're not missing a big event like someone else said like a retreat or orientation or something like that I think you could probably take the time for a family vaca....