Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Break it down for me please...MD vs DO

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by RadMD1day, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :confused: I am a little confused. Both schools require 4 yr. both require MCAT .. both are 4 year training. Both choose specialty like Radiology(right?)..
    so why is it that when you have a lower MCAT score and lower gpa people say apply to DO....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    "Here we go again..."

<Insert beating dead horse picture here>

"Troll..."

"Use the search function"

":Grabs Popcorn:"

Hmm did I miss any?

4. mikeinsd

mikeinsd predictably unpredictable
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    well, if one of the people that likes to start stuff is around, you might hear something like

"they are totally different, DO sucks!"

...and then boom, fireball :eek:

5. eternalrage

eternalrage Even Kal has bad days...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    awesome... i was waiting for one of these

6. Auron

Auron Cruisin' the Cosmos
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    MD vs DO :smuggrin:

If you are like most people, you probably don't know the difference between a medical doctor, MD, and an osteopathic doctor, DO.
    DOs and MDs are alike in many ways:
    • Applicants to both DO and MD colleges typically have a four-year undergraduate degree with an emphasis on science courses.
    • Both DOs and MDs complete four years of basic medical education.
    • After medical school, both DOs and MDs can choose to practice in a specialty area of medicine—such as psychiatry, surgery, obstetrics, or sports medicine—after completing a residency program (typically two to six years of additional training).
    • Both DOs and MDs must pass comparable state licensing examinations.
    • DOs and MDs both practice in fully accredited and licensed hospitals and medical centers.
    • Both are medical doctors; MD is specifically Doctor of Medicine and DO is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine.
    What Makes DOs Different?

• DOs can perform surgery, child delivery, treat patients, and prescribe medications in hospitals and clinic settings.
    • DOs look at the "total person." Osteopathic physicians focus on preventive care. Instead of just treating specific symptoms or illnesses, they look at the whole body.
    • DOs receive extra training in the musculoskeletal system, which is comprised of the nerves, muscles, and bones. This training gives DOs a better understanding of how an injury or illness in one part of the body can affect another part of the body; therefore, DOs have a therapeutic and diagnostic advantage.
    • DOs use what is called osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT). OMT is a technique in which the DOs use their hands to diagnose injury and illness, giving special attention to the joints, bones, muscles, and nerves. Manipulations improve circulation, which in turn, creates a normal nerve and blood supply, enabling the body to heal itself.
    http://www.stronghealth.com/services/primarycare/domd.cfm

7. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Thank you for taking my question seriously. I appreciate the positive feedback!:)

8. BlackSails

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    DOs schools are also easier to get into. According to the mentoring forum, DOs are also disadvantaged when applying for super sub specialties (the example in the thread is pediatric neurosurgery)

9. gotmeds?

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Clearly DOs are in every way superior to MDs. Thank you for the informative post. I shall withdraw my MD acceptances post-haste and reapply exclusively to DO schools!

10. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Me too.

11. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    And MDs can't? :confused:

12. spicedmanna

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Exactly. If you are talking in terms of average statistics (MCAT and UGPA), then you are right.

13. madamebovary

7+ Year Member

look either one you choose, you will still be a doctor. Just that some sub-specialty will be utterly impossible for a DO to get. Just watch out for the questions when you are interviewed by a DO school, because you need to know the difference. Other than that, your all set= apply to both MD and DO.

14. Pansit

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Why D.O Medical School have lower average numbers:

1.) Many pre-meds have no idea that they even exist, so they dont even apply. (Plus there are only 25 D.O vs. 125 MD schools)

2.) Pre-med misconceptions also stop some from applying, such as DO's cant specialize or DO's will have a hard time finding jobs after residency..etc. Just part of the lack of knowledge about the profession

2.) Many people associate more prestige with the M.D., probably because your harvards, johns hopkins..etc are allopathic schools with huge research dollars.

3.) D.O. schools are definitely more non-trad friendly than allopathic schools, so these applicants tend to lack a bit less on academic numbers but greater on real world experience.

4.) Some people do not feel comfortable with the osteopathic philosophy

5.) thats all i can think of for now...

So, most of these reasons deplete the quantity of applicants to osteopathic schools, which decrease the overall competition and allows people with lower gpa's or mcats to get accepted. But, just because you may have the numbers does not guarantee an acceptance. DO schools still have high standards when accepting their student body, as they often place large emphasis on health-care experience, extra-curriculars, and the interview. The fact that almost every student in each D.O. school end up in some residency, attest to the fact that they dont just accept anyone. So dont ever think that you are guarenteed a spot because you have a certain gpa or mcat score.

15. thanecyan

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
  16. Kodiak

Kodiak Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

17. GAdoc

GAdoc GAdoc
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I agree with what you've said, but I'd also like to give fellow pre-meds the benefit of the doubt and hope they actually do their research before just choosing a career path. Medicine in general is a huge choice, but deciding on DO vs MD is also a huge choice. Last year, I was accepted to a DO school. I committed myself to reasearching it and didn't just say "oh, great now I'm accepted and a doctor is a doctor". That's oversimplifying it just a little much.

I read "The DOs" as well as A.T. Still's own handbook, "Osteopathy". I'm sorry, but the guy was a nut job. Well, that's not fair. He at least recognized that modern medicine (in his time) was insufficient and often did more harm than good. But he also went too far the other direction and ended up creating a cult-like following of doctors who believed that smallpox was curable with OMT. In his handbook he even describes how!

Modern DOs are completely competent physicians. I'd not argue with that. But, they also should be fully aware of where they come from and WHY there is a stigma. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) the stigma is disappearing, but only as the two degrees (MD and DO) merge closer together. There is not a stigma because schools like Harvard and JHU are allopathic. There is a stigma because osteopathy was a spliter faction from allopathic medicine of the 19th century and it was the only one with the tenacity to make it through to today.

I'm not criticizing DOs in any way. I'm just saying, don't take yourselves too seriously. In the end, I choose to wait it out for an MD school. It had nothing to do with whether or not the DO school where I was accepted would turn me into a great physician. It also had nothing to do with a stigma. It was just a matter of preference.

18. Tired

Tired Fading away
    7+ Year Member

Just once I'd like to hear somebody tell me what the hell that actually means.

19. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, if I attend a MD school, upon graduation, I will get something akin to superman x-ray vision that will only allow me to see the organ system affected by the problem at hand. So if a patient walks in with gastroenteritis, I'm not going to see a person, I'll see a floating colon.

Now if I go to a DO school, I won't have any super powers, I'll just see whole people walking around. But I'll get to use my amazing kung fu OMT skillz on them.

20. mongrel

mongrel Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Someone let me know if this is totally out of line. But as I read about MD's, DO's, and use of OMT- is it fair to say that if there was a spectrum with say Allopathic doctors on one end and Chiropractic doctors on the other end, a DO would fall somewhere in between (albeit much MUCH closer to the allopathic side)?

21. Depakote

Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's not really accurate.

OMT is a tool that DO's have available to them. Many DO's (aprox 2/3) do not use OMT at all during their daily practice. When they do, they will generally use it for pain control or to supplement a therapeutic regiment they have prescribed.

Differences between OMT and Chiropractic Therapy
    OMT is not limited to spinal manipulation (unlike chiro). OMT can be applied to muscle and other soft tissue and as I mentioned above, OMT is something that is intended to be used after the orders have been written before the patient is treated with the primary treatment. It is quick and easy, providing immediate results. Chiropractic therapy is intended to be the primary therapy.

22. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

23. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  24. Dookter

Dookter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Oh snap, that is a good one. Much better than the little one.

25. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My understanding of that phrase is that in general, allopathic medicine trains people to focus on and treat the symptoms where they occur. That is, the patient has back pain, you treat back pain some way or other. Whereas, the "whole person" concept will take into account their other systems and what part they have to play in the causing of the back pain.

It is more simply pointing out that BOTH can do the same things. Not that one can and the other can't. :rolleyes:

Another big thing is that chiropractic therapy for the most part, is high velocity manipulation. OMT can use it, but uses a much more gentle, less 'violent' manipulation.

26. baylormed

baylormed On the Search
    5+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Before you go all :rollyeyes: :rolleyes: at us look at the post and see that that particular sentence is under "DOs can:", which is why people are posting "And MDs can't?" in the first place. He could have posted it in the first category which I'm guessing is where it is supposed to go, but it's in the mistaken section.

27. Old ortho

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is another difference. Many foreign countries do not recognize DO degrees from U.S.A., but will recognize M.D. degrees.

28. Depakote

Attending Physician
    blah blah... here's a list of DO international practice rights.

29. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's a pretty sarcastic comment to say, "And MD's can't?" in response to that post. I mean, clearly that ISN'T what they were saying, or implying. Thus the :rolleyes:

30. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    People also apply DO simply because it is their backup when they have lower UGPA and MCAT. Regardless of what qualities the field of DO actually has, regardless of what makes them special, regardless of whatever misconceptions there are about them, people still see it as a backup and treat it as such.

31. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You gotta be kidding me. The thing was titled "MD vs DO" and they first gave similarities between the two and then gave differences between the two. They were blatantly saying DOs do those things listed in the first bullet point and MDs don't, as ridiculous as it sounds.

32. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Um, actually, that is exactly what it said. And I quote: "What Makes DOs Different [from MDs]? DOs can perform surgery, child delivery, treat patients, and prescribe medications in hospitals and clinic settings." Which is clearly incorrect, and is why a few of us objected. We're not saying that DOs can't do those things, just that, say, treating patients and prescribing medication isn't something exclusive to DOs as the post claimed.

33. medhacker

medhacker We can end world poverty!
    7+ Year Member

All the previous is weak and lame

DO schools have the better looking students, period. Kaput. :cool:

34. SupergreenMnM

SupergreenMnM Peanut, not chocolate
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hmm...it does seem like there are several major countries DOs can't practice in or are very limited (France, Greece, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Ireland, SA, UAE, Italy) and tons of "unknowns". :confused:

35. medhacker

7+ Year Member

Greece and Italy accepts DOs fully, the process is very difficult as it is for any foreign physician MD or DO.

The unknowns usually mean no DO has yet applied for licensure in these countries - it does not mean rights have been denied.

Also, countries which in the past had denied practice rights have recently allowed full practice (e.i. Great britain).

So this is a dynamic process, rather moving towards full acceptance worldwide.

36. Depakote

Attending Physician
    :thumbup:
    Tru Dat.

37. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yah - okay. So if you guys really want to read it literally (and therefore misinterpret it), that's what they were saying. You were right, I was oh so wrong. Feel better now?

38. Doctor~Detroit

Doctor~Detroit this poll sux!!!
    2+ Year Member

stop . . . hammer time!

39. Lorienne7

Lorienne7 Austenophile
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Look, the post was misleading. If someone comes on this forum and really doesn't know what DOs and MDs do then that bullet point can be confusing. We were merely trying to clarify. It's not a big deal. No need to get all weird about it.

40. Orthodoc40

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, you're right. I didn't mean to get jerky. Sorry.

41. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Well, the joke used to be what do you call someone who can't get into a MD medical school???
    -A DDS!

Now it's...
    -A DO!!

42. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh: I lol'd pretty hard at that one. this thread has a winnar!:thumbup:

43. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ah the direct approach. I am looking forward to the next posts

44. medhacker

7+ Year Member

Even most DDSs earn as much or more than most MDs
    Makes you wonder who the joke is on...:laugh:

45. life_saver

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The post was misleading. But honestly, what rock would someone have had to crawl out from under to not know what a MD can do? But they have somehow ended up on SDN?

Let's face it MD vs DO threads are really just threads that inform newbs that DOs are not dentists or limited to eye exams...that's until they get going a bit and end in expletives and users getting on probation and/or banned.
    So lets get this party started!!! :banana:

46. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    :laugh: OOOPs...I may have opened up a can, sorry. I was unclear of the difference...obviously . I didn't mean to get everyone's feather ruffled,,just an explanation.
    Obviously it seems that those who are allopathic are sorta looking down on DO. that's what I am getting. So if I don't get in to M.D. and have to go to DO..will I be looked down on by the med field and patients?

47. eternalrage

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Probably. Regardless of what qualities DO has, and regardless of whether this stigma is warranted or not, there is a chance you would encounter MDs who have disdain for DOs. Then again you might encounter ones who are more open minded. But I'd say the former more than the latter.

48. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

49. Timmythemic22

Timmythemic22 Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
    10+ Year Member

You're aspiring towards medical school and can't use the SEARCH function?

50. RadMD1day

RadMD1day Cat Scan
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I thought this was more of a support group instead a bunch of smart [email protected]@s

51. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I suggest you do a search to read some actually reasonable explanations of MDs vs DOs. Auron's post is horribly skewed (talking about DO's "better understanding" and the like) and simply doesn't paint a fair picture of the distinctions.

Generally MD vs DO threads get shut down as a result of flaming between the two camps. Which is why you are getting the dead horse and "do a search" responses you are getting. Read more, post less on this topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.