1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Breakdown 26AA/24TS/21PAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by TAMU20, Aug 10, 2018.

1. TAMU20

Pre-Dental
    Wasn’t sure whether I would post one of these or not but I figured if I could help motivate someone then it would be worth it.

This first part will be a random culmination of my thoughts. I’d like to start this out with the fact that I am not a genius and my score is the culmination of diligence, drive, love of science, and luck. I also want to state that you don’t need a 22+ to get into dental school. There were 6 people who got into Texas schools last year with a 16-17. In addition to this for every high scoring post your read there is a low score to match that won’t be posting a study guide. This leads to an over representation of 22+ scores in the forums.

Materials: BC, destroyer, math destroyer, Ferrari’s notes, random quiz lets, khan academy, and Ochem YouTube channels. In my opinion BC was vital and responsible for my score. Period. You must pay for this and use it. Destroyer for biology and chemistry is a must. I found it to be very difficult and not truly representative for GC and more difficult but very helpful for bio. I did the GC section (the part recommended by BC) twice and the entire bio section once. I did half the Ochem section before deciding it wasn’t worth it(too difficult and not representative).

PAT: 21. Screen was kinda warped like another poster here mentioned in a previous thread. I’m pretty sure this threw off my keyholes. Practiced with generators and previous PAT tests.

QR: 30. I’ve always been pretty good at math and even took multivariable calculus in high school. I hadn’t taken a math course since then however so I started with watching all of the khan academy videos. This was a huge waste of time. I then moved onto math destroyer and starting with taking it timed. I always finished with plenty of time to spare and mostly got 3 or less questions wrong per section. The real DAT is less “tricky” and has less SAT style gimmicks than destroyer. It is worth your time though. BC QR was harder than the real QR. I finished most BC QRs with ten minutes to spare and scored mostly 22-24 with one 20 and one 30. Getting the 30 was a huge confidence booster and I knew if I took my time I could recreate it. The only questions I would get wrong were quantitative comparison and stats questions. I went through BC’s question bank to improve.

RC: 23. On Bootcamp RC was my worst section. I read the prescribed science article everyday and would usually read one or two more because I wanted to get more accustomed to it. I scored mostly 19s with a few 20s and only one 21. The real passages were simpler, the questions easier to understand, and I had topics I was interested in which really helped. The BC tests were so incredibly boring and I dreaded taking these. I used search and destroy. I know I don’t read enough books and this is the sections that shows it.

Biology: 22. Going into the test biology was my best section! I scored mainly 23-25 with a single 30 so I was very surprised to get a 22. I read the Bootcamp bio notes once through and then again while taking notes. After that I moved onto the ferralis notes where I wrote down everything I didn’t know the first time and second time I read through it. I also really tried to learn from destroyer. Every time I got a question wrong I would go back and think about my reasoning for the wrong answer as well as how that was flawed. Bio is so varied though that it is more about breadth than depth so if the choice is between truly understanding the mechanism with which a biological process proceeds and cramming in a new concept I chose the new concept. Some tests will be very anatomy heavy and have no respiration, others will be very plant heavy or have no inheritance math. I wasn’t prepared as well as I could have been because I chose to reinforce my knowledge on genes and that wasn’t a big portion of my test.

GC: 24. I used mikes videos exclusively for learning gen chem and destroyer to reinforce concepts. Other people have had success with chad but I didn’t want to spend any more money. Because I took my chem AP credit the last time I took gen chem was my junior year of high school. I got a 5 on the AP back in the day but almost none of that knowledge stuck and I had to relearn it all. Mike gave me a solid education and his questions plus explanations were very helpful. I went through the GC videos twice taking good notes each time. The first time a regular speed and the second time at 1.5X. It was definitely boring the second time but I did catch things I had missed or was doing wrong. Destroyer was very hard. Too hard. My DAT didn’t have any gimmicks in this section and Ramono loves them. I’d get maybe 11-17/25 questions correct in his book the first time. I didn’t look at the numbers the second time but I still missed a lot. As much as I whine about the difficulty it did force me to practice concepts I was shaky on.

OC: 30. I really enjoy ochem but didn’t want to put any effort into it so I waited two weeks after I went through the videos and until a month before my test to start really putting in work. The waiting after watching Mike’s videos was a mistake and I remember getting a 22, 18, 18, 23, 19 on the first five practice tests. I thought the tests were incredibly variable and was determined to get a 22+ so I rewatched all of mikes videos and did all of his questions again. And then again for a third time. And then a fourth for alkene reactions forward. Topics I was still getting wrong lead to watching YouTube which helped a lot. Destroyer was too hard. It was not like the real test at all. My studying for the last three weeks was definitely skewed more towards OC than anything else.

I started with Ari’s 10 week plan, extended it to 12 weeks, and doubled my GC and OC efforts. Also did a bunch of ferralis and slightly more reading. I probably averaged 8-10 hours every day with one day off a week. This 8-10 hour figure is really just the time I was at the library not the amount of time I was studying though. I studied for 40 minutes and then played Pokémon showdown or walked for another 15-20 and repeated this all day. At the beginning of the summer I was spending too much time browsing the DAT advice forum and not enough time studying lol. I also worked part time while studying but my doctor/boss is nearing retirement and slowing down business so I only worked one day a week. I forgot to mention it but I also took one week off in the middle because I moved to a new apartment.

Rant: This was the most boring summer of my life. I didn’t prioritize hanging out with my friends and being active enough. I didn’t get to go on any camping trips and I really neglected my running. Last summer I hiked over a thousand miles of the Appalachian trail and this summer I gained 10 lbs and took a test.

I’m going on a road trip but will try to answer all the questions. If anyone from my college browses SDN and wants to hang out I’m always looking to make new friends and meet new people.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IdleKoala

Pre-Dental
    I definitely feel you about having a boring summer lol! But applying to dental school and stressing about interviews is fun in its own way. Awesome scores and best of luck applying!

severage likes this.
  4. TAMU20

Pre-Dental
    Thanks I’ll be applying next cycle. Hope your application and interviews go well.

5. orgoman22

orgoman22 DAT DESTROYER
    Lifetime Donor Sponsor Exhibitor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Congratulations!

TAMU20 likes this.
  6. TAMU20

Pre-Dental
    Didn’t upload my score sheet last night so I’m doing it now for verification.

7. tatehunter10

Awesome scores dude. I got mine out of the way today. Are you applying next cycle? Noticed you are in Texas too and curious as to where all you are planning on applying?

TAMU20 likes this.
  8. TAMU20

Pre-Dental
    Yes I’ll be applying next cycle so see you on the interview trail! I have been thinking the three instate plus UOP but I haven’t really given much thought to others. I don’t plan on specializing so I probably won’t be applying to many big ticket ivy/fancy schools.

tatehunter10 likes this.