Breakdown of step one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sky04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are all areas - path, bio chem, pharm, etc. equally tested on step 1 or is there a larger percentage of questions in a few areas and less in others?

Members don't see this ad.

Sky04 said:
Are all areas - path, bio chem, pharm, etc. equally tested on step 1 or is there a larger percentage of questions in a few areas and less in others?
I'd say the distribution went something like this:

path >>>> pharm > micro/immuno > physio > behavioral > neuroanatomy > genetics/molecular bio > biochem > straight-up anatomy > embryo >> straight-up cell bio

So to answer your question, no, they don't test everything equally.

Boris Badenov said:
I'd say the distribution went something like this:

path >>>> pharm > micro/immuno > physio > behavioral > neuroanatomy > genetics/molecular bio > biochem > straight-up anatomy > embryo >> straight-up cell bio

So to answer your question, no, they don't test everything equally.
Also, different people will see the test emphasize different things. For instance, my test probably had more path and micro than anything else, and surprisingly had waaay more biochem than pharm, and a good deal of anatomy to boot.

Sky04 said:

It just depends. Path is probably always going to be number 1 and pharm number 2. I felt like I had way more physio/pathophys and hardly any micro compared to a lot of people. Pure gross anatomy and biochemistry questions will probably always be infrequent.

It was pretty random. Everyone I know said their test emphasized different topics more than others... translation: you've got to know it all.