Breaking into California for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calianesth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm couples matching this year and was wondering about the chance of breaking into California (wife is from there and really wants to return). I hear about how competitive it is to match to California and how hard it is to couples match. I am looking for some opinions on how many programs to apply to.

She is matching FM and has a great application. Mine isn't bad either - would we be safe in applying only to west coast? I counted 13 programs that I could apply for anesthes, some are obviously very competitive (Washington, UCSF, Stanford UCLA), I was thinking of adding in Arizona even though she doesn't want to, which would bring the total programs i could apply up to 15. I'm pretty sure my application will be the deciding factor and my dean advised to apply to at least 30 programs. We are both from a well known east coast school, she is a resident of california, i am not.

My stats are 255+ step 1, HP all third year with only one honors, 2 anesthesia related posters, 1 non-anesthesia research project. Strong letters of rec.

Hers are also 255+ step 1, she has half honors and half HP, 2 pubs both in family med.. so i figure she should be able to match no problem since she isn't too picky about where she goes. I'm worried that ill be the one holding us back from matching to Cali.

Do you think 15 programs are enough?... and if not any suggestions on what else to add that would make it easy to get back and forth from california, my wifes family lives there (specifically in LA) and we have children... so being near grandparents that can babysit will make residency a lot easier.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't understand why people with clearly outstanding scores and far above average activities think they won't match at a good program in anesthesia. It makes no sense. Anesthesia has nearly 100% match rate for US MDs. How far above average is a 255+? The average applicant is probably greater than one standard deviation below your score.
Are you looking for a pat on the back?
Give me a beak. California programs are competitive, everyone wants to live in California, if only to check it out. Your bringing a bit more than average to the table.:rolleyes: Yes, the couples match is an interesting wrinkle, but she did better than you, right?
Apply to every decent west coast program, and AZ too if you want, if you don't match at one of the strong ones there's something seriously wrong with your interview skills and/or personality and/or letters.

-
Il D

Last edited:
It's really just a numbers game, right? You want to be close to LA? Apply to all the LA programs. Beyond that, is it really any easier to get to LA from SF than compared to, say, Dallas? So if your goal is to be able to get to LA easily, then I'd apply to all the LA programs (including San Diego) and then pick programs in cities with big airports.

If the goal is to be in CA, and the LA thing was sort of a red herring, then apply to all the CA programs. Then look at the map and form concentric circles around CA and apply to all the nearest programs. How many is enough? I don't think you can apply to too many. It costs next to nothing to apply to more programs and if you happen to get lots of good CA interviews, you don't have to go to the ones in TX, WA, OR, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coming to California for residency is NOT like trying to get into a UC medical school. The restrictions on state residency and formal preferences for minorities do not exist (at least not to anywhere near the extent for med school).

You don't have to be a Hispanic female with a 42S on the MCAT who started 8 HIV/AIDS clinics in Rwanda to get into a California residency.

Plus, there are way more spots relative to the demand.

All they want to know is that you have a solid reason for coming from an out-of-state medical school (you do) and that you're seriously considering THEIR program.

For you on your own, you'd never have to apply to 15+ residency programs since you'll get one of your top 3...but you're NOT on your own. Couples matching is your wild-card here and you would do well to apply "widely." What you described (12-15 programs) doesn't strike me as "applying widely" so consider casting a wider net. Of course, if you guys would rather scramble than go to residency in Arizona, well, there's no accounting for taste. :D

I can't understand why people with clearly outstanding scores and far above average activities think they won't match at a good program in anesthesia. It makes no sense. Anesthesia has nearly 100% match rate for US MDs. How far above average is a 255+? The average applicant is probably greater than one standard deviation below your score.
Are you looking for a pat on the back?
Give me a beak. California programs are competitive, everyone wants to live in California, if only to check it out. Your bringing a bit more than average to the table.:rolleyes: Yes, the couples match is an interesting wrinkle, but she did better than you, right?
Apply to every decent west coast program, and AZ too if you want, if you don't match at one of the strong ones there's something seriously wrong with your interview skills and/or personality and/or letters.

-
Il D

Thanks for the feedback, i never considered texas... but now we might. I never meant to get a "pat on the back", but i was searching for some reassurance that perhaps couples matching into california won't be as impossible as my Dean says. Its just an anxiety filled time after all the work I've put into medical school, plus family planning are on the line and add to that my wife is a bit jaded about getting back into california after she was waitlisted for medical school with an extremely strong application at the top UC's but didn't get into a single one. im praying something manageable comes out of it.

Thanks for the feedback, i never considered texas... but now we might. I never meant to get a "pat on the back", but i was searching for some reassurance that perhaps couples matching into california won't be as impossible as my Dean says. Its just an anxiety filled time after all the work I've put into medical school, plus family planning are on the line and add to that my wife is a bit jaded about getting back into california after she was waitlisted for medical school with an extremely strong application at the top UC's but didn't get into a single one. im praying something manageable comes out of it.

Im not from california, i dont know anyone from california, I didnt know anything about california. I did worse on step one than you did. I never had a poster or any research. When the program director asked me why I wanted to come to california I told him to turn around and look out the window at the cloudless sky. I matched there as my first choice. I think you will be fine.

Maybe i was a bit harsh, you'll be fine. Look at all the strong western programs as well, as they will have plenty of connections in CA. Seattle, Denver, UTSW, OHSU, Baylor, etc. They will give you both great training and leave the door open to getting back to CA.

Unless there is something really unpleasant about your personality, I'm almost certain you'll couples match in California. Med school advisors have to be conservative... they really want to avoid the scramble (SOAP now I guess?) as much as possible.

Thanks for all the feedback guys - I was a bit anxious after meeting with my Dean, your responses have really helped refocus my perspective.