Breaking up is hard to do...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panda01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't know about you all but this process is an emotional rollercoaster for me. If it's not the pleading to get in, it's the endless games and waiting. I'm lucky enough to have multiple acceptances, but there a lot of people on SDN who don't have any, and not for lack of ability. I have seen so many people I know get rejected who would be amazing, caring, talented doctors, and complete dinguses get accepted to top-notch schools. I've seen plenty of kids pressured into medicine by their parents, and some just doing this for the money. What is wrong with this picture? Maybe I'm feeling conflicted because I'm writing withdraw letters from my acceptances (except one :) ), and I know I could be happy at these places, just not as happy as elsewhere. After spending days and nights praying to get in, and then getting in to more than one school and having to withdraw--I feel like an amputee praying for a new arm who gets six and then has to chop off five. (Yes I know that is very random; it's late.)

This whole process is a crapshoot, a mindgame, a study in ass-kissing--where's the fairness? Am I being unreasonable and jaded?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, just keep thinking of the happiness you're spreading with those withdrawl letters!

An acceptance is something highly prized as a result of the sheer number of candidates competing for one. Naturally, there will be an emotional attachment towards the schools that have considered you to be a prime asset to their roster, but think of withdrawal as the way to look for the school that will make you the best physician that you can possibly be. Unfortunately you do not have control over where the slots you've withdrawn go, and added to that, the knowledge that undeserving people get in anyway. In this case, just be grateful that you know one deserving person (i.e. you) is going to medical school and that in the future, the choice is open for you to make a difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by darkmatter:
•An acceptance is something highly prized as a result of the sheer number of candidates competing for one. Naturally, there will be an emotional attachment towards the schools that have considered you to be a prime asset to their roster, but think of withdrawal as the way to look for the school that will make you the best physician that you can possibly be. Unfortunately you do not have control over where the slots you've withdrawn go, and added to that, the knowledge that undeserving people get in anyway. In this case, just be grateful that you know one deserving person (i.e. you) is going to medical school and that in the future, the choice is open for you to make a difference.•••••damn ur so damn eloquent!!! wow...I've never seen anyone with ur writing and counseling ability.....by the way, have you seriously considered psychiatry as a possible field....if so, when can I sign up...I can be ur first patient :D

ur good therapy....I still love that advice u gave me, about moving mountains to win the friendship back....

Thanks guys I feel better. :) Add another reason to my "why SDN is great list"--cool intelligent people who care about each other. Yes that sounds sappy, but so what? After all the cutthroat pre-med crap out there, it's great to see a supportive and involved crowd.

Go us. :clap: