Breast Boost: Scar or Lumpectomy Cavity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPhys2MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw a breast patient who's scar is under her breast and who's tumor was is in the upper inner quadrant. To make things more complicated, she also had a breast reduction during her lumpectomy surgery. In this situation, what area do you boost when the scar is far away from the tumor bed? And given we do not know how the tissue was moved around during the breast reduction, can the tumor cavity even be drawn on the CT reliably?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If your breast surgeons doesn't leave clips then localization will be challenging. I sometimes use preop ultrasound or diagnostic mammogram to localize. However, if you have reduction mammoplasty, then fat will have been moved around. In those cases, I sometimes treat the whole breast to a modestly higher dose (~ 56 Gy).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I saw a couple patients like that I wound up not boosting at all.

Kinda annoying on surgeons part to do a simultaneous breast reduction at the time of a lumpectomy. One would think a lumpectomy was enough of a breast reduction as it is.

Regardless, oncoplastics seems hard to get around if there are no clips to mark the edge of the lumpectomy cavity. I'm glad the surgeons at my institution don't do it on a routine basis. If you would boost the patient normally, I don't see the overtly dangerous harm in attempting to boost what looks most like the lumpectomy cavity on CT (would look at US/Mammo from pre-op to assist with localization). Gfunk's method seems reasonable but likely the potential for mildly worse skin toxicity to the entire breast?

But in general, at my institution we don't boost the lumpectomy scar; we boost the cavity. Often times they are essentially one and the same, but with more peri-areolar incisions (to improve cosmesis) reaching back into whatever area of the breast the cancer is in to pull the cancer out on a lumpectomy, it would seem to make more sense to boost the cavity where the tumor was rather than the scar.

Post-mastectomy RT gets a boost to the scar.