Breast Cancer awareness... too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iliketoytles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spirit of good discussions, I thought I'd bring this up. I'm helping coordinate a breast cancer walk for next month and was reading online about some people who think that too much attention/resources is being spent on breast cancer awareness, and not enough on research for treating other diseases. These people actually go as far as to protest the walks. :eek:

I'm not taking a side (yet), but I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

Members don't see this ad.

While I think that awareness is good for any cause, expecially one which touches many people. I do have a certain degree of "pink ribbon" exhaustion. I know that this is the big time of year for breast cancer, but seems like there is always something related all year long. Kind of like how it always seems like the kids schools are doing some sort of fundraiser, you get a little tired of throwing $15 dollars a month at wrappingpapercookiespopcorncandlestrinkets.

Ofcourse the retort could be that other "causes" should pick up their A-game and learn from the breast cancer folks.

I also think there is a certain degree of politics that goes into the female causes that don't typically go into championing male causes.

Members don't see this ad :)
But I like boobiez?

Me too dude. Love 'em. But:

So why should you ditch the razor this month? “The number of prostate cancer deaths and breast cancer deaths in this country are very similar on a yearly basis, but breast cancer funding and research is more than double that of prostate cancer. It’s time for guys to stand up for something that directly affects their personal health,” Wagner says.

http://news.menshealth.com/want-a-beard-nows-your-chance/2011/08/29/

But I like boobiez?

That was going to be my second argument. Everyone loves Boobies. Straight men love them, Gay men love them, Lesbians love them, straight women love them, babies love them ......:thumbup:

My mom was diagnosed with DCIS breast ca when I was a sophomore in undergrad. A bilateral mastectomy later, along with around 15 surgical procedures she has been cancer free for around 8 years now! She didnt need chemo just surgery. Early detection really is key. So many people really dont understand this...and furthermore people really dont understand that you can get breast ca in your late 20s early 30s even.

So yeah...dont really get why people have beef with breast cancer awareness.

My mom was diagnosed with DCIS breast ca when I was a sophomore in undergrad. A bilateral mastectomy later, along with around 15 surgical procedures she has been cancer free for around 8 years now! She didnt need chemo just surgery. Early detection really is key. So many people really dont understand this...and furthermore people really dont understand that you can get breast ca in your late 20s early 30s even.

Sorry to hear about your mom willen, but it's definitely good she's cancer free now!! :woot:

I don't think anyone has a problem with breast cancer awareness, but it seems like the pink ribbon overwhelms other diseases that need MORE awareness. Breast cancer treatment has come a long way the past few years, and has been funded HEAVILY.

You hit the nail on the head; early detection is the key! If women (and some males) would understand this and get regular mammograms, I think the amount of money needed to treat more advanced breast cancer by alternative methods would be less necessary since it can be treated very well with surgery or other already-known methods (like in your mother's case!).

I feel the same way about lung cancer. Most lung/esophageal/mouth cancers are caused by bad habits. And even though it is the most predominant form of cancer in the world... I want to say that MOST of these cases can be treated by simply abstaining from things like tobacco, or making an attempt to quit. Things like this are caused by human ignorance and stupidity... why should a buttload of money go into finding treatments for lung cancer when the CURE simply requires the will-power to say "No". (I understand that some lung/esophageal/mouth cancers may be caused by some other means... so research is still important. But I hope ya'll get what I'm trying to say here. ;))

An argument may be that all cancers can be somehow be avoided by simply being healthy all-around. And while there's truth to that, sometimes cancer can be caused by genetic predispositions which are out of our control. I think these are the ones that should be funded the most.

this is very interesting and I wouldn't have thought about it unless i saw this thread. great article and very valid. we really do need to raise awareness and fund actual research regarding these other problems so prevalent in our society.

Honestly lung cancer in a month kills and affects more women than breast cancer does in a year ( or something like that). It's a paradox that we are so fixated on breast cancer.

I don't mean for this to be sexist at all, but could the enormous publicity for breast cancer be because many women are still stay-at-home moms and have the TIME to do it? I always see so many women doing breast cancer awareness events who bring their kids... they seem like the soccer-mom type hanging out with their "girlfriends".

I don't have a problem with this... but I wish the media wouldn't buy into it as much. Or even better, start buying into other disease awarenesses as much as breast cancer. It seems that research funding is going to be channeled wherever people feel the largest awareness is... if money isn't allocated towards breast cancer research, there would be a huge uprising... whereas pancreatic cancer isn't funded as much (even though it's far more aggressive), but it won't create nearly as large a commotion since it just isn't publicized.

I bet this guy would've appreciated it:
MarvinZindler.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify that breast cancer awareness is not about boobs. It's about women. Moms, sisters, daughters; actual people.

Don't buy into the marketing. And boycott Susan G Komen especially: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html

While I firmly believe in research and have given my fair share to these causes, I tend to do my homework a little bit more than the average person. ManBroDude is exactly right regarding SGK. There is a website (actually several) that you can look up the 5013C form for non-profit organizations and see how much of the money they raise actually goes into funding research ( directly helping the people who need it) and what percent actually just goes into large salaries for the people who run them. If I am not mistaken, I believe Lance Armstrong was a big offender of only giving some 41% of money raised for his foundation back to the community. We also had a POS dad here locally that used his daughters abduction and murder to start a foundation in her name, and subsequently taking a 60k yearly salary and only contributing about 5k a year in promotional sign awareness. It kind of puts a bad image for the ones that actually do what they are intending to do. Point is to just do your research if you want to contribute to a great cause.

While I firmly believe in research and have given my fair share to these causes, I tend to do my homework a little bit more than the average person. ManBroDude is exactly right regarding SGK. There is a website (actually several) that you can look up the 5013C form for non-profit organizations and see how much of the money they raise actually goes into funding research ( directly helping the people who need it) and what percent actually just goes into large salaries for the people who run them. If I am not mistaken, I believe Lance Armstrong was a big offender of only giving some 41% of money raised for his foundation back to the community. We also had a POS dad here locally that used his daughters abduction and murder to start a foundation in her name, and subsequently taking a 60k yearly salary and only contributing about 5k a year in promotional sign awareness. It kind of puts a bad image for the ones that actually do what they are intending to do. Point is to just do your research if you want to contribute to a great cause.

Couldn't agree more. Educated donations are so critical... it's so important to ensure that your time/efforts/donations are going directly where you want it to... rather than dealing with stingy, greedy middlemen.

Honestly lung cancer in a month kills and affects more women than breast cancer does in a year ( or something like that). It's a paradox that we are so fixated on breast cancer.

There are more cases of breast cancer in women alone (which... okay... only 1% of cases are males, but that still >2,000 cases) than lung cancer in both sexes combined. And it used to be insanely fatal. Now its one of the least fatal cancers out there because we have great screening algorithms, good public awareness, and specifically targeted drugs.

But all the research we spend on breast cancer is still required because we've realized something through it. This is our most researched cancer by a mile (some cancer had to be it) and we've managed to make what was one of the deadliest cancers out there become 90% survivable. But we've also learned that breast cancer, and cancer in general, is so much more complicated than we could ever imagine. Take LCIS for example. By all obvious metrics that is a cancer that should be cut out and its genesis has *nothing* to do with ductal forms. EXCEPT that DCIS will never go metastatic nor will it grow so we dont treat it as cancer, but it is a huge risk factor for ductal carcinoma, often in the other breast, by some mechanism *completely different* than the mechanism that made the original LCIS.

Every scientific conundrum needs an experimental model. Breast cancer is our experimental model because it was the ultimate cancer. It was ridiculously prevalent (only prostate cancer is more prevalent), it was crazy lethal (prostate cancer barely kills anyone, statistically), and it took away boobies. You don't pull funding while there is still so many unanswered questions that can be pulled from breast CA and applied to other cancers.

Of note: Lung cancer is almost as prevalent as breast cancer, and is very lethal... but back in the day it was not nearly as prevalent and back in the day breast cancer was equally/more lethal than lung cancer. Its only because we treat breast CA so well that lung cancer took over the title of best known killer.

Also of note: prostate cancer reigns supreme on frequency in the general population in the USA. It clocks in at tens of thousands above any other competitor, and it can only affect 50% of the population and its still #1. But it also has a 90% survival rate with pretty damn conservative urologic/oncologic treatments.

should other cancers get more coverage? sure, if they can raise their own awareness and money. But dont pull the funding or attention from the experimental model we've had such success with. Especially since we have no damn clue what to do with bronchogenic carcinoma and no amount of money is going to fix that overnight.

Last edited:
Old thread or not, I think this needs to be said.

I absolutely cannot stand the "Save the Tatas" crap. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and can't stand it either. There's a certain amount of dignity one loses when having a mastectomy or lumpectomy. To indicate that their "tatas" were in some way not saved because these procedures were required is offensive to many survivors who are already self conscious.

It's a marketing ploy and kids think it's cute to wear the stuff without realizing how serious a situation breast cancer really is. Regardless of any leaps and bounds made it is still a killer of women of all ages and should be given the respect, as a disease, that it deserves.

Of course, there are those that will argue any awareness is better than no awareness. To each their own.

should other cancers get more coverage? sure, if they can raise their own awareness and money. But dont pull the funding or attention from the experimental model we've had such success with. Especially since we have no damn clue what to do with bronchogenic carcinoma and no amount of money is going to fix that overnight.

I completely agree with your entire post. However, isn't it somewhat unfair for other cancers to raise their own awareness and money? This kind of goes back to what I mentioned in my last post... about how breast cancer awareness propelled forward. I totally agree that breast cancer is a good model cancer to learn more about the nature of the disease so that other cancers can be treated. And it's because of this that funding breast cancer research is necessary... I just think that people who are able to, should promote the awareness of other cancers as well so that more people will be motivated to fund or donate to the cause.

Old thread or not, I think this needs to be said.

I absolutely cannot stand the "Save the Tatas" crap. My mom is a breast cancer survivor and can't stand it either. There's a certain amount of dignity one loses when having a mastectomy or lumpectomy. To indicate that their "tatas" were in some way not saved because these procedures were required is offensive to many survivors who are already self conscious.

It's a marketing ploy and kids think it's cute to wear the stuff without realizing how serious a situation breast cancer really is. Regardless of any leaps and bounds made it is still a killer of women of all ages and should be given the respect, as a disease, that it deserves.

Of course, there are those that will argue any awareness is better than no awareness. To each their own.

I've never thought about how annoying this is, but you're right. Those "I <3 boobies" pink wristbands are pretty silly. If they really do love their tatas and they get breast cancer, they should forget the mastectomy and let the cancer do its thing. It'll likely kill them, but at least they'll still have their boobz, amiright? :rolleyes:

I didn't mean for that to be rude... hopefully ya'll know what my point was. lol.

Well,The breast cancer is one type of cancer.In this cancer the breast size and breast shape are changed and also nipple are turn.The breast cancer treatments are available.The mammography is the treatments of breast cancer.

time for Spam poetry! From the Wikipedia spoetry entry

"What Can You Do in 3 Minutes?
Look out your window
Make a child happy
Groom those bushy eyebrows
Get residency in Panama
Lose 10 lbs.
Remove dents
Pupate"

How much of the walks and fundraising are impacting early detection? I was under the impression they were raising research funds. U know... kommen for the cure. Not kommen for the checkup.

I think the complaint is that research gets like 9 cents on the dollar raised. Most of the money raised is just spent ti throw another fund raiser.... that is the complaint anyways

Even you accomplished all of this signs of breast cancer; it does not beggarly that you already accept the cancer. In a lot of cases, accepting breast chastening does not ensure you that you accept an astute affectionate of cancer, it usually about-face out to be benign, a not annihilative blazon of lumps.

:confused:

Even you accomplished all of this signs of breast cancer; it does not beggarly that you already accept the cancer. In a lot of cases, accepting breast chastening does not ensure you that you accept an astute affectionate of cancer, it usually about-face out to be benign, a not annihilative blazon of lumps.

Wut?

It seems to me that part of the reason people like to rally around breast cancer is because it affects an "external" part of the body. The idea of a woman losing her breast is somehow more alarming to the general public than someone losing a lung. I think, especially, that many women do consider their breasts as part of their identities as women (whereas, who would notice the lack of some internal body part, and thus not affect personal identity). Another point is that, even if breast cancer was completely obliterated, there is nothing to indicate that those individuals who contributed financially to "the cure" would then turn their interests to research of other cancers. It seems that people who support breast cancer research are doing so largely because of a close family member's struggle with the disease.

It seems to me that part of the reason people like to rally around breast cancer is because it affects an "external" part of the body. The idea of a woman losing her breast is somehow more alarming to the general public than someone losing a lung. I think, especially, that many women do consider their breasts as part of their identities as women (whereas, who would notice the lack of some internal body part, and thus not affect personal identity). Another point is that, even if breast cancer was completely obliterated, there is nothing to indicate that those individuals who contributed financially to "the cure" would then turn their interests to research of other cancers. It seems that people who support breast cancer research are doing so largely because of a close family member's struggle with the disease.

Good points. I agree.

penn and teller do a bit on breast cancer in their show bullsh*t. google it, but NSFW
pretty much agrees with the above

usually the girls/ladies are too much conscious about the inner disease then the boys that's why you can see their consciousness in disease like Cancer.

In the spirit of good discussions, I thought I'd bring this up. I'm helping coordinate a breast cancer walk for next month and was reading online about some people who think that too much attention/resources is being spent on breast cancer awareness, and not enough on research for treating other diseases. These people actually go as far as to protest the walks. :eek:

I'm not taking a side (yet), but I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.

I'm under the impression that a lot of the resources for breast cancer are from private sources. If that's true, then I don't see a reason to protest. If people with money want to spend it on breast cancer research and awareness, so be it. Now, if the government is funding breast cancer more than they are HIV or any number of other things, then I think that's a little ridiculous.

I boycott and protest against all the independent cancer research giants. Susan G. Coleman, Karmanos...all of them. The cure for cancer is prevention. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true. We could cut cancer rates by half if we told the people the truth, that consuming carbs in large quantities is what is making America fat (especially sugar, wheat, and corn) and that Omega-6 loaded vegetable oils are creating an internal environment of inflammation which together create a perfect breeding ground for cancer.

You're not going to hear about that because the big cancer "foundations" are nothing but for-profit companies (profit of those running them) in disguise. Do you really think that the Susan G. Coleman group wants to see a cure for breast cancer? The day after they do they either have to reposition themselves as going after prostate cancer now or else they have to close their doors. Those people are praying that the public doesn't figure out that simply consuming REAL food that is very, very high quality can pretty much ward off cancer not to mention heart disease.

University studies I can get behind, but those big organizations can take a flying leap at a donut rolling down a hill. I feel bad for all the sheeple who take part in those 3-day walks and stuff.

I boycott and protest against all the independent cancer research giants. Susan G. Coleman, Karmanos...all of them. The cure for cancer is prevention. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but it's true. We could cut cancer rates by half if we told the people the truth, that consuming carbs in large quantities is what is making America fat (especially sugar, wheat, and corn) and that Omega-6 loaded vegetable oils are creating an internal environment of inflammation which together create a perfect breeding ground for cancer.

You're not going to hear about that because the big cancer "foundations" are nothing but for-profit companies (profit of those running them) in disguise. Do you really think that the Susan G. Coleman group wants to see a cure for breast cancer? The day after they do they either have to reposition themselves as going after prostate cancer now or else they have to close their doors. Those people are praying that the public doesn't figure out that simply consuming REAL food that is very, very high quality can pretty much ward off cancer not to mention heart disease.

University studies I can get behind, but those big organizations can take a flying leap at a donut rolling down a hill. I feel bad for all the sheeple who take part in those 3-day walks and stuff.

You really think you can prevent breast cancer? Women of all different backgrounds are affected every year. It's not like skin cancer where reducing your exposure to the sun significantly helps you.

Wow... I stopped reading this right before the good stuff. You sir are speshul :)

Oh.... and who is Susan Coleman?

Wow... I stopped reading this right before the good stuff. You sir are speshul :)
Oh.... and who is Susan Coleman?

Evidently ColeMine is not the only one who said Coleman. Enough people have said it that Google knows who "Susan G. Coleman" is. Interesting.

So what would you propose the pathogenesis behind food high in carbs causing cancer is? I am literally at the peak of my preclinical knowledge so throw it at me....id love to hear it. I havent read something so stupid in a while. Its funny that as a premed you think you know more than physicians and reachers who dedicate their lives to this field.

So what would you propose the pathogenesis behind food high in carbs causing cancer is? I am literally at the peak of my preclinical knowledge so throw it at me....id love to hear it. I havent read something so stupid in a while. Its funny that as a premed you think you know more than physicians and reachers who dedicate their lives to this field.

Came here to say the same...

Evidently ColeMine is not the only one who said Coleman. Enough people have said it that Google knows who "Susan G. Coleman" is. Interesting.

I also saw Susan B komen.... You know, the woman who put tatas on the silver dollar.

A thousand times THIS. I sometimes get legitimately pissed off at people who think 10 min on google gives them a reasonable outlook on a topic and the ability to go toe to toe with myself or other pre/current health professionals. The irony is that in their lust for the "truth" they are simply ill equipped to even start the discussion

be wary of the Susan G. Komen foundation. Their leaders are making a fortune and only a fraction of the money raised actually goes to cancer research. Seems more for-profit than non-profit.

If you want to donate money/time, send it to a hospital like "city of hope", etc.

I'd like to take this opportunity to clarify that breast cancer awareness is not about boobs. It's about women. Moms, sisters, daughters; actual people.

Don't buy into the marketing. And boycott Susan G Komen especially: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/02/susan-g-komen_n_1250651.html

Thank you.

I was hoping someone would post about Susan G. Komen.

Please stop marketing "save the boobies."

CopToEM said:

Agreed 100%.

I really, really, really compel anyone to look at the true face of breast cancer, and check out The Scar Project, which focuses on young women with early onset breast cancer, many of whom lost their breasts or had tissue removed from their breasts. I don't think anyone can look at these photographs and believe these women are not strong, brave, and beautiful... http://www.thescarproject.org/

I really, really, really compel anyone to look at the true face of breast cancer, and check out The Scar Project, which focuses on young women with early onset breast cancer, many of whom lost their breasts or had tissue removed from their breasts. I don't think anyone can look at these photographs and believe these women are not strong, brave, and beautiful... http://www.thescarproject.org/

The scar project is amazing!

My biggest issue with all the breast cancer awareness is that I feel like it has completely lost its original objective. Now it has become fashionable and trendy to drench your life in pink. Cancer is not a fashion statement. These women have their lives devastated to this disease but people are out dancing around in pink tu tu's chanting to "feel your boobies." I am willing to bet that the majority of people who participate in these events don't even know how to do a proper self breast exam; information that is much more useful than where to find your next pink pair of shoes.

I love that these women have stood up to a disease and fought back with such rigor. It's very inspiring and maybe other suffers can follow suit and learn by the example from these women who have spoken up. I can only hope that other well-deserving diseases get this much research funding in the future too.

My biggest issue with all the breast cancer awareness is that I feel like it has completely lost its original objective. Now it has become fashionable and trendy to drench your life in pink. Cancer is not a fashion statement. These women have their lives devastated to this disease but people are out dancing around in pink tu tu's chanting to "feel your boobies." I am willing to bet that the majority of people who participate in these events don't even know how to do a proper self breast exam; information that is much more useful than where to find your next pink pair of shoes.

I love that these women have stood up to a disease and fought back with such rigor. It's very inspiring and maybe other suffers can follow suit and learn by the example from these women who have spoken up. I can only hope that other well-deserving diseases get this much research funding in the future too.

Great post. I hate those "I heart boobies" bracelets. They Bug the crap out of me.

this :thumbup:

Definitely too much attention/resources spent on awareness. I'm usually a fan of prevention, but there isn't a way to prevent cancer. Yes, make sure you do self-checks and regular doctor visits, but all you're doing is giving yourself the best chance to catch it early. Plus, it's human nature to ignore things until it's too late so telling women (men too, I guess) to monitor their breasts probably isn't doing very much.

I'd personally like to see some more attention brought about to Colon cancer. It kills an unreal number of people, and is quite treatable if caught early, similar to breast cancer.

I'd personally like to see some more attention brought about to Colon cancer. It kills an unreal number of people, and is quite treatable if caught early, similar to breast cancer.

"i"? :D

But seriously yeah.... I may have mentioned earlier in this thread (pre-revival....) anyone catch the penn and teller episode on breast cancer awareness?

Ah yes... I remember when I started this thread, a YEAR ago. :laugh: I'm always up for a good discussion, though.

My biggest issue with all the breast cancer awareness is that I feel like it has completely lost its original objective. Now it has become fashionable and trendy to drench your life in pink. Cancer is not a fashion statement. These women have their lives devastated to this disease but people are out dancing around in pink tu tu's chanting to "feel your boobies."

Well said.