Breast incentives to join military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAFdoc

exUSAFdoc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:) Join The Military And Get Free Cosmetic Surgery

By Robert Paul Reyes
Nov. 7, 2004

In an attempt to attract recruits, the Pentagon now offers soldiers free cosmetic surgery, from face-lifts and nose jobs to breast enlargements and liposuction. Should the Army's new slogan be: "Be all that silicon can make you"?

This special offer doesn't extend only to our brave fighting men and women. This deal also applies to immediate family members and retirees. Individuals covered by military healthcare can have as many procedures as they wish, and taxpayers foot the deal.

Now a wife's reason for encouraging her husband to join the military may be less than altruistic. "Joe you should join the military, to serve your country, see the world, get a free education, and so that I can get a free boob job.

Grunts need their commanding officer's approval because recovery averages 10 days. "Private Smith, put your gear on, we're going to attack the rebels' stronghold tonight." "Sorry Sarge, but I'm still recuperating from my nose job, here's my doctor's excuse."

Between 2000 and 2003, Army surgeons performed nearly 500 breast enlargements and more than 1,000 liposuction on both soldiers and their families, according to Pentagon statistics. Military personnel who are injured in battle receive a Purple Heart medal, emblematic of their courage and sacrifice; should those 500 female warriors who underwent breast enlargement surgery receive a Pink Boob medal, representing their vanity?

I'm a strong supporter of our courageous men and women in the military, who are defending our democratic values all over the world. In fact, I believe that they should be better paid and receive a more generous retirement plan.

But free cosmetic surgery for the military is an idiotic idea. Taxpayer money would better serve veterans who have seen a decrease in benefits during the Bush administration. Taxpayer money would better serve reservists who lack the health benefits their regularly enlisted colleagues get.

We mock our Islamic fundamentalist enemies who engage in suicidal attacks against us in a bid to enter a paradise with a harem of virgins. What must our enemies think of us if we entice our young men and women to join the military with a promise of a free nose job or larger boobs?
:laugh: :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I was told by active duty physicians that this program is to help train plastic surgeons in the military and as far as the breast enhancements the patient has to pay for the implants out of pocket. I also think, but not sure, that they have to use their leave time for recovery and not convalescent leave.

I was told by active duty physicians that this program is to help train plastic surgeons in the military and as far as the breast enhancements the patient has to pay for the implants out of pocket. I also think, but not sure, that they have to use their leave time for recovery and not convalescent leave.

why I think this ia a BAD program;

1) active duty people missing time to get their breat larger...unsat
2) tax payers footing the bill.
3) there would be no problem getting civilian/non military affiliated people to get this done, and they would pay for it themselves at a mild discount.

Members don't see this ad :)

By Robert Paul Reyes
Nov. 7, 2004

In an attempt to attract recruits, the Pentagon now offers soldiers free cosmetic surgery, from face-lifts and nose jobs to breast enlargements and liposuction. Should the Army's new slogan be: "Be all that silicon can make you"?

This special offer doesn't extend only to our brave fighting men and women. This deal also applies to immediate family members and retirees. Individuals covered by military healthcare can have as many procedures as they wish, and taxpayers foot the deal.

Now a wife's reason for encouraging her husband to join the military may be less than altruistic. "Joe you should join the military, to serve your country, see the world, get a free education, and so that I can get a free boob job.

Grunts need their commanding officer's approval because recovery averages 10 days. "Private Smith, put your gear on, we're going to attack the rebels' stronghold tonight." "Sorry Sarge, but I'm still recuperating from my nose job, here's my doctor's excuse."

Between 2000 and 2003, Army surgeons performed nearly 500 breast enlargements and more than 1,000 liposuction on both soldiers and their families, according to Pentagon statistics. Military personnel who are injured in battle receive a Purple Heart medal, emblematic of their courage and sacrifice; should those 500 female warriors who underwent breast enlargement surgery receive a Pink Boob medal, representing their vanity?

I'm a strong supporter of our courageous men and women in the military, who are defending our democratic values all over the world. In fact, I believe that they should be better paid and receive a more generous retirement plan.

But free cosmetic surgery for the military is an idiotic idea. Taxpayer money would better serve veterans who have seen a decrease in benefits during the Bush administration. Taxpayer money would better serve reservists who lack the health benefits their regularly enlisted colleagues get.

We mock our Islamic fundamentalist enemies who engage in suicidal attacks against us in a bid to enter a paradise with a harem of virgins. What must our enemies think of us if we entice our young men and women to join the military with a promise of a free nose job or larger boobs?
:laugh: :rolleyes:

Hmm, well this is a reversal of policy . . . As of 4 months ago when I got out, patients couldn't get seen by a military plastic surgeon or get any cosmetic surgery approved or covered by Tricare unless it was "medically necessary," i.e., resulting in severe disfigurement or loss of function. Any elective procedures (boobs, lipo, non-disabling scar removal, etc) had to be performed in the civilian sector at the patient's own expense.

X-RMD Beautiful just the way I am . . .

This op-ed certainly does not reflect the facts on the ground.

Here's my USUHS '90 classmate, Joe Legan, on the real deal:

http://www.hilltoptimes.com/story.asp?edition=166&storyid=4717

"The fact is all beneficiaries are eligible for these procedures but there are policies in place to govern this aspect of the military health-care system,' said Lt. Col. (Dr.) Joseph Legan, the Air Force Medical Service's chief consultant for surgical services.

"There is no charge for reconstructive surgery related to trauma, burns or disease,' Colonel Legan said. "Solely cosmetic surgery for an active-duty Airman requires no payment unless cosmetic implants are part of the procedure; the implants are paid for by the Airman prior to surgery.'

•(N)o surgery is done on active-duty members for weight reduction, Colonel Legan said.

"For other beneficiaries, solely cosmetic surgery is chargeable based on the procedure and whether it is performed on an inpatient or ambulatory basis,' Colonel Legan said.

Payment arrangements are finalized before patients are placed on the surgery schedule.

Colonel Legan also said that solely cosmetic surgery is done only on a space-available basis, and may constitute no more than 10 percent of a plastic surgeon's workload."

Hmmm...hey, ex-military docs...what percent of a civilian plastic surgeon's practice is "solely cosmetic"? Is that why they get so much better results?

Also, as the article states:

"Medical service officials said cosmetic surgeries could also be performed by doctors other than plastic surgeons, specifically general surgeons, ophthalmologists, ear nose and throat surgeons and oral surgeons. The Air Force Academy has ophthalmologists and ENT surgeons who have done some cosmetic cases. "

Any comments on quality of results between board-certified plastic surgeons and others? I have some horror stories from my time in the military...but I'll let others share first.

Bottom line: the promise of "free plastic surgery" either to active duty or dependents is bogus. Ain't gonna happen...unless you're a retiring O-6 who violated Air Force policy re: elective surgery within 6 months of ETS...(digging around e-mail archives...will post later...)

--
R

Bottom line: the promise of "free plastic surgery" either to active duty or dependents is bogus. Ain't gonna happen...unless you're a retiring O-6 who violated Air Force policy re: elective surgery within 6 months of ETS...(digging around e-mail archives...will post later...)

Most people try to get their plastic surgery just before terminal leave/retirement, so as not to walk around their colleagues with sore, puffy, and/or bruised parts.

This was made against USAF policy in 2004.

Only high ranking Absentee Landlady M.D.s (and certain politically-connected CRNAs) can violate this with impunity to get their tummy tucks.

Here's the policy, which was promulgated as a PowerPoint presentation as part of an explantion of the MEB process:

http://www.medicalcorpse.com/medstandardsbrief1.ppt

I especially love the e-mailed explanation accompanying this policy, which explicitly states how surgeons "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" with regard to time and outcome (i.e., hepatectomy = 1 hour; Whipple = 1 hour; recovery from major surgery = 1 week):

Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 9:05 AM
To: Ruda Richard J Col AFPC/DPAMP
Subject: Field Update #34 -- Elective Surgery
Importance: High

"...Finally, I DOUBLE the recovery time. This is to allow for complications. The surgeon gives you the "if all goes well" estimate. What he/she doesn't tell you is what happens if all does NOT go well. I double the best-case scenario estimate to allow for a margin of safety should all not go as well as planned."

Len Trout, M.D. Lt Col, USAF, MC
Chief, Medical Standards
HQ AFPC/DPAMM

Update: the text of the entire policy letter is here: http://www.medicalcorpse.com/Elective_Surgery_Policy.doc

"The truth shall set you free" of the military...in more ways than one.

--
R

At Wright Patt, we had two aggresive young plastic surgeons that for about one year, were filling their schedules with cosmetic surgery, be it tummy tucks, whole body lifts, or facial surgery.

When they left, a guy who CAME OUT OF HIS CIVILIAN PRACTICE, and came in as an 0-6 said he would be doing no surgery, I mean no elective cosmetic surgery, and the only implants would be on breast cancer pts. Left a private practice to enter the military. I think about a million red flags went up. As it was, the support for the OR had dwindled so bad, that he only got one day a week to operate, and hardly used it. The decline continues.

As a current AD surgeon who performs facial plastic surgery, I can say that as of today, free cosmetic surgery is not allowed. I had a woman just pay TriCare $1200 to have a rhinoplasty performed by me in conjunction with a septoplasty next week. That was what she was charged in anticipation of what I plan on doing. If it is more difficult that expected, more extensive than planned, or something else causes it to be coded higher, she will have to fork over more cash.

One way that we currently get around things like this is to code them as "Acquired" which then bypasses the auto-denial of Tricare. For example, if someone has a dorsal nasal hump I could say it was acquired and therefore do the rhinoplasty. Obviously, this may be dishonest but it is sometimes done by surgeons so that they can maintain their skills. This will work for things like blephs, brows, rhinoplasties, otoplasties, etc, but I can't see someone justifying a breast augmentation as a medical necessity.

Interesting that this story is being told though. Should increase my plastics which drastically dropped when the pay-for policy came out 18 months ago.

Interesting that this story is being told though. Should increase my plastics which drastically dropped when the pay-for policy came out 18 months ago.

Note the date on the original poster's story: Nov 2004. Even then, it was false information.

--
R

"medically necessary" plastics are covered, but at least in the capital area catchment area, get referred out-- with a catch. my wife underwent surgery over the summer, and was the *last* of this surgeons quota for the year he was allowed from TRICARE. he can't perform any more until next year. his reimbursment was laughable. we paid some of the anesthesia bill, but other than that it didn't cost us a dime. so, they will pay for you to go civilian, but you may not get it done due to lack of surgeons accepting TRICARE.

--your friendly neighborhood appreciative of kind plastics surgeons caveman

Left a private practice to enter the military. I think about a million red flags went up.
New member trying to get information about military medicine, not trying to hijack a post, but I'm curious what red flags go up about someone leaving private practice to go into the military. Without this understanding I don't fully follow your post.

Left a private practice to enter the military. I think about a million red flags went up.

New member trying to get information about military medicine, not trying to hijack a post, but I'm curious what red flags go up about someone leaving private practice to go into the military. Without this understanding I don't fully follow your post.

Exhibit #1: Board-Certified anesthesiologist leaves "$750K" practice in Manhattan to join the USAF. Claims that his recruiter told him he could pass gas on airplanes on a daily basis in the USAF. When he arrived at Andrews, I almost fell on the ground laughing at his naïveté. When 9/11 hits, he turns out to be alcoholic who wanted to drive to New York while drunk at 1100, rather than show up at work for mandatory "all-hands" recall.

Criteria for leaving private practice for the military:
1) Incompetent
2) Substance Abuse
3) Insane
4) Pick 2 of the above
5) All of the above

--
R

Exhibit #1: Board-Certified anesthesiologist leaves "$750K" practice in Manhattan to join the USAF. Claims that his recruiter told him he could pass gas on airplanes on a daily basis in the USAF. When he arrived at Andrews, I almost fell on the ground laughing at his naïveté. When 9/11 hits, he turns out to be alcoholic who wanted to drive to New York while drunk at 1100, rather than show up at work for mandatory "all-hands" recall.

Criteria for leaving private practice for the military:
1) Incompetent
2) Substance Abuse
3) Insane
4) Pick 2 of the above
5) All of the above

--
R

6) You have made the money you need and actually want to do something different. It does happen. Rare, but does occasionally happen.

6) You have made the money you need and actually want to do something different. It does happen. Rare, but does occasionally happen.

Name one competent individual. Just one. "Money you need" indeed. They need to do something different because their partners threatened them with reporting to the state medical board, because they are insane with irrational, misplaced patriotism, or both of the above.

--
R