Breed of dog on movie "shooter"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Dreams

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there. I was hoping someone could tell me the breed of the dog on the movie "shooter." I thought the dog was beautiful and would love to have one like that someday when I do get a dog. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't seen the movie, but looking at the trailer there are a few short glimpses of this dog. To me, it looks like a mixed breed. Similar to a St. Bernard or English Mastiff...but difficult to tell from the short glimpses I got.

according to beyondhollywood.com it's either an Anatolian Shepherd Dog or a mix between a Bernese Moutain Dog and English Masiff (depending on who you believe) ;)

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/?p=1619

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what the dog looks like.

Members don't see this ad :)
As I was looking for the answer to this same question I arrive to find out the answer to your question at the following link:
http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php?topic=16776.msg205368

There, the owner of the dog, who is also the trainer and works for the firm and television industry provides the following information:
quote:
"My name is Drew Thompson, I live in Vancouver, BC.
I am an animal trainer for film and television and that is
in fact my dog in the movie. His name is Logan, I enjoyed reading all the posts at guesses to the kind of breed he is and am flattered. He is a Bernese Mountain and English Mastiff X. If you look on the internet at Registered Mix Breeds I actually just found this in the past couple weeks there are people apparently breeding them now in the U.S. as they make an amazing cross and he is easily the smartest dog I have ever trained. They are calling them a Mountain Mastiff.
Any other questions I would be happy to answer them."
unquote!

Drew is also credited, check IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822854/fullcredits#cast
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0860091/

Hope now this clears up your question.

MAD

Last edited:
according to beyondhollywood.com it's either an Anatolian Shepherd Dog or a mix between a Bernese Moutain Dog and English Masiff (depending on who you believe) ;)

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/?p=1619

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know what the dog looks like.

If it's an Anatolian, there are a few breeds out there that should NOT be owned by casual dog owners, especially with no job. The Anatolian is one of them.

GPY=Great Pyrenees I'm guessing? With both, especially Anatolians, they are intended to be aloof, bold, and highly protective livestock guardian dogs that live primarily with the flock. These aren't go fetch a ball, lay on the couch and watch TV type of dogs, nor should they be.

Being a working dog enthusiast, there's a few breeds that should not be average pets without a job to do because they are just "too much dog." Which as a working dog enthusiast is great, but when I hear "what a cool looking dog! What are they because I'd like one!", it makes me cringe. I get that a lot with my Malinois. In other words, they are not golden retrievers or Shih Tzus. A couple others (in my opinion in case anyone's curious) that are often "too much dog," which gets the average suburban person in trouble:

-Belgian Malinois
-Dutch shepherds
-Caucasian Ovtcharkas
-Central Asian shepherds
-Fila Brasileros
-Dogo de Argentinos
-Cane Corsos
-working line border collies
-Alaskan huskies (the performance lines dogs bred for racing)
-wolfdogs

There are a couple more examples I could think of, but these kinds of dogs should only be in the hands of the highly experienced or they will either drive you or themselves crazy or be downright dangerous. People who have had these breeds will tell you the same and probably be more interested in talking you out owning of a breed than talking you into one. Hope that makes sense!

Yes, great pyrenees. They were indeed adopted from a group of goat guarding dogs at a separate branch of the university. Funny thing is, Raaki is the official clinic dog - he meets and greets all of the clients and their pets. Some clients won't come in until we have him behind the desk because he's the size of a small horse, but he's never done anything wrong really, except for lean on an old lady and nearly knock her over. That's just him wanting to be pet is all.

Raaki and his sister, Eivi, live in a house with the vet and her husband (another vet, incidentally - got them because he works with the goat herds) and go run around the back yard but mostly live inside. I'm not arguing that they don't need exercise (I think the son takes them running a the lake quite a bit, at least) but they seem really happy and well-adjusted. Raaki loves attention and seeks it, likes to play with his toys, warms up easily to new people, and cowers if his "mom" yells at him or scolds him. (I think he tried to eat her french fries when she got up.)

So, maybe Raaki is just one-of-a-kind? I know that breeds are breeds but it stands to say that every individual dog is different. I would hate to think that clients that like him would go out and get a similar dog and expect it to be just as great in all the same ways...