General Admissions & OTCAS Brenau University MSOT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khosford

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello :)

I recently got accepted into Brenau's weekday program on their Atlanta campus. My cohort starts in May of 2014. Anyone else attending in this cohort or any of Brenau's other programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello :)

I recently got accepted into Brenau's weekday program on their Atlanta campus. My cohort starts in May of 2014. Anyone else attending in this cohort or any of Brenau's other programs?

I just applied to the Gainesville campus. I'm waiting for a decision. If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers? (Gpa, shadowing hrs. Etc,?) and what was the interview process like?

Hi :)

My general stats are:

3.92 undergrad GPA
4.0 post-graduate and prerequisite GPA

52+ hours of shadowing (hospital rehab, acute care, and pediatrics)
Work as an animal trainer and behavior therapist for children with developmental disabilities
Countless hours with my own two kiddos on the autism spectrum

The interview was structured into a few different areas including a file review, group interview, Q and A with current students, and a timed writing sample. It took a few hours to get through the entire process. It was very pleasant and the staff was genuinely helpful and caring toward all of the candidates. All of my questions were answered and the admissions coordinator is great and a wonderful resource.

I hope you get an interview! I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just applied to the Gainesville campus. I'm waiting for a decision. If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers? (Gpa, shadowing hrs. Etc,?) and what was the interview process like?

Good luck, @OccuGirl! I applied to the Gainesville campus as well and just received the email that it is being processed, fingers crossed.

Thanks @khosford! Out of curiosity, do you remember how long it took for them to review your application/invite you for an interview? I received the email 4 days ago stating that my verified application would "be under review shortly" and have been biting my nails ever since. I'm sure I have a few more weeks to go but just curious if you had a ball park!

I applied at the end of September and was invited for an interview by mid-October. My interview was the first of three sessions and actually took place a week before the November 15th application date. I remember thinking that they processed everything rather quickly! You must be on pins and needles!

When is the application deadline for the cohort you are applying to?

The deadline isn't until May 30th, but they began reviewing applications this month!

Has anyone heard back from the program ?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you referring to the Fall 2014 cohort? If so, I haven't heard back either. This waiting game sure is nerve wracking!
Simza91 have you had your interview yet? I remember the waiting game. It was constantly on my mind!!

I had my interview on Monday, and I believe we were the last cohort for the May program.

I had my interview on Monday, and I believe we were the last cohort for the May program.
Awasim01, you interviewed for May 2014? I did not realize they were still interviewing for that cohort! How do you feel about your interview (if you do not mind me asking :) ).

I got an email saying I was accepted! :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
Simza91 have you had your interview yet? I remember the waiting game. It was constantly on my mind!!

I hadn't heard from them at all until today! And the first news is good news.. I'll be interviewing there the first week of February! I'd love tips or suggestions you have/how the writing portion went/what you wore, I'm already nervous so I'm all ears :)

I got an email saying I was accepted! :soexcited:
Wow congrats! So am I to assume you accepted and will be joining me in Norcross in May? I feel like there is so much to cram in between now and then as far as communication, meetings, immunizations, etc...

Are you local or out if city/state? The time is going to be here before we know it!

I hadn't heard from them at all until today! And the first news is good news.. I'll be interviewing there the first week of February! I'd love tips or suggestions you have/how the writing portion went/what you wore, I'm already nervous so I'm all ears :)
Best advice I can give is to do something the night before to help you relax. Be yourself during the interview as they will be asking you questions specific to your own experiences not general situation type questions...although I think I remember one or two of those. Take your time to formulate an answer and relate it back to OT whenever possible. Brenau seems to be more about the individual and they are looking for people who will be successful and bring something new and exciting to the table. They also seem to be research oriented so if you have any experience in that realm, tell them about it.

The essay was a blur to be honest but was definitely about my own experience and how I could relate it back to OT. They probably change topics for each interview though so expect anything. I did not think I did so well on the essay but it obviously turned out okay!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Wow, I did not know they were still conducting interviews for the May cohort. I'm slightly confused now.

I applied for the fall 2014 cohort. However, OTCAS hasn't verified my application yet soo I'll be waiting even longer I suppose.:(

Wow, I did not know they were still conducting interviews for the May cohort. I'm slightly confused now.
I did not know either! I suppose they must have had loads of applicants this time around. When I spoke to Nancy, she said things were very busy in the admissions office and would be for a bit longer. If that was indeed the last cohort then I am guessing final decisions will be made within the month. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

I did not know either! I suppose they must have had loads of applicants this time around. When I spoke to Nancy, she said things were very busy in the admissions office and would be for a bit longer. If that was indeed the last cohort then I am guessing final decisions will be made within the month. Still keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!
Thank you!!! I'll be sure to let you know if I hear any good news!

I spoke with Nancy and she informed me that if a spot doesn't come available in the Summer cohort I will automatically be placed in the Fall cohort since I applied for that one as well.

Awesome! Does that mean wait list or automatic acceptance??

Simza91...is your interview next week? :)

It is! I'll be driving up there later next week. When it comes down to it I do pretty well in interview/professional situations, but seeing as how this is the first school I've heard back from (and my first interview) my nerves are getting to me! Might be the idea of an 8 hour drive that's throwing me off.. :)

It is! I'll be driving up there later next week. When it comes down to it I do pretty well in interview/professional situations, but seeing as how this is the first school I've heard back from (and my first interview) my nerves are getting to me! Might be the idea of an 8 hour drive that's throwing me off.. :)

That's great that you interview well! Wow, I did not realize that you had such a long drive! I'm sure you will do well and, as I mentioned before, the staff is great and will put you at ease :)

Hi! I interviewed for the Fall Cohort at the Gainesville campus last Friday. I had an 8 hour drive the day before too and it was my first interview as well so I was in a really similar position. If you have any questions let me know! Everyone there is very nice and welcoming so don't be nervous!

Hi! I interviewed for the Fall Cohort at the Gainesville campus last Friday. I had an 8 hour drive the day before too and it was my first interview as well so I was in a really similar position. If you have any questions let me know! Everyone there is very nice and welcoming so don't be nervous!

Thanks! I just shot you a message :) and thank you @khosford, it's really reassuring to hear how welcoming they are. One of my friends also pursuing OT came back with a horror story from her interview at a school up north so I wasn't sure what to expect! I'll be sure to update on how it goes :)

I applied for the fall 2014 cohort. However, OTCAS hasn't verified my application yet soo I'll be waiting even longer I suppose.:(
Have you heard anything from them?? My application got verified a week or two before the january 15th deadline and I havent heard a thing. I called and Nancy said this cohort is particularly competitive so it may be a while before hearing anything but STILL!

Hi :)

My general stats are:

3.92 undergrad GPA
4.0 post-graduate and prerequisite GPA

52+ hours of shadowing (hospital rehab, acute care, and pediatrics)

A 3.92 GPA. It sounds as if you got perhaps 1 B in your undergraduate education? Where did you do your undergrad, I'm curious. It is very impressive that any students have above a 3.9; with applicants to choose from who have 3.92s I guess they can start looking at the 3.97s and 4.1s if that exists. This is simply amazing. I never met anyone in college who had a GPA that high. The competition in this field is red hot intense.

A 3.92 GPA. It sounds as if you got perhaps 1 B in your undergraduate education? Where did you do your undergrad, I'm curious. It is very impressive that any students have above a 3.9; with applicants to choose from who have 3.92s I guess they can start looking at the 3.97s and 4.1s if that exists. This is simply amazing. I never met anyone in college who had a GPA that high. The competition in this field is red hot intense.

Well, it is has been a while since my undergraduate education so I had to refer back to OTCAS to get an answer for you. I received 3 B's...1 B and 2 B+. I also got a couple of A-s. I did my undergraduate education partially at Berry College and the rest at the University of South Florida. Most of my prerequisites were done at USF early in my college career as I was not sure what direction I was going to go in at the time. I finished them up at Georgia Highlands and Brenau. According to the calculations from OTCAS, my GPA went up .1 to a 3.93 after completion of my post-bachelor's courses. I appreciate you thinking my undergraduate work is impressive! Believe it or not though, I have come across several people on this forum with my GPA or higher. Your assessment of fierce competition is correct! There is a post on GPA calculations you can peruse to get an idea of people's stats vs. what schools have offered them interviews and/or accepted or rejected them. Some schools seem more heavy on the GPA while others experience. I have sort of a colorful background so I think that helped me far more than my GPA :)

@osu789 I also was admitted into Brenau Fall 2014 cohort, but my GPA was not a 3.9 (mine was 3.75 according to OTCAS). I think GPA may get you in the door, but as you can see @khosford also had some interesting and impressive extra's on her application. I think sometimes it's how you make yourself stand out from the others. I think life experience definitely helps with that. Some of the strongest candidates I have seen got in not just based on their GPA or hours of observation, but on what they do outside of class. My advice to candidates who are unsure or not confident in their application is to go out and experience the world. You will learn about yourself and gain that life experience that will make your really stand out.

@osu789 I also was admitted into Brenau Fall 2014 cohort, but my GPA was not a 3.9 (mine was 3.75 according to OTCAS). I think GPA may get you in the door, but as you can see @khosford also had some interesting and impressive extra's on her application. I think sometimes it's how you make yourself stand out from the others. I think life experience definitely helps with that. Some of the strongest candidates I have seen got in not just based on their GPA or hours of observation, but on what they do outside of class. My advice to candidates who are unsure or not confident in their application is to go out and experience the world. You will learn about yourself and gain that life experience that will make your really stand out.

Did you get accepted into the fall 2014 cohort for the Gainesville campus or the weekend program? If the Gainesville campus when did you do the interview and when did they tell you that you were accepted? Thanks!

Did you get accepted into the fall 2014 cohort for the Gainesville campus or the weekend program? If the Gainesville campus when did you do the interview and when did they tell you that you were accepted? Thanks!

I interviewed in early January and was accepted a couple weeks later :)

Out of curiosity, for those who have interviewed, has anyone received a rejection/deferral yet?

I have not heard even a peep back from them, FYI. It's pretty awful that you pour out your life into these applications and don't even hear anything back.

I have not heard even a peep back from them, FYI. It's pretty awful that you pour out your life into these applications and don't even hear anything back.

Since your interview, @osu789? Or not at all? I would hope they would be courteous enough to at least extend a deferral notice.

If you do not mind me asking, when did you interview and for what cohort?

nothing at all- for Gainesville. Not even a peep. Not a peep from many places fyi. Eastern Washington didn't even have the courtesy to send a letter. I asked for what I can do to strengthen my application- not even a response to that.

nothing at all- for Gainesville. Not even a peep. Not a peep from many places fyi. Eastern Washington didn't even have the courtesy to send a letter. I asked for what I can do to strengthen my application- not even a response to that.
That's strange. Have you tried contacting Nancy? I know she is very good at responding at a timely manner, in most instances she replies the same day and if not the next. I've been in contact with her and she did tell me things were pretty hectic around there. Initially I never received confirmation that my application for the fall cohort was ever received. I wasn't sure if that was because I had already been through the application/ interview process for the summer cohort so I contacted Nancy. She then informed me that everything was in order and apologized that I hadn't heard anything sooner. So, if you haven't tried contacting her I highly suggest you do.

Honestly I find this the most offensive part of this process. Calls to Long Island University have gone unanswered completely as have emails. I believe that when you put yourself out there - pay a hefty application fee- the least you can expect is a response.

Last edited: