1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Brett Ferdinand MCAT-PREP.COM material

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ~CDN Pre-med~, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ~CDN Pre-med~

~CDN Pre-med~ Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I've heard a lot about TPR, Kaplan, and ExamKrackers. But, has anyone found the material from Brett Ferdinand useful?

He wrote the Gold Standard but I was also looking at the CD lectures for each subject that he offers on website www.mcat-prep.com.

Worth the money? :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. reynardor

reynardor Membership Revoked
    Removed

Are you in Canada? I am from Europe, and I am thinking about coming to US for my medical studies, I want to go to Harvard.

4. ~CDN Pre-med~

5+ Year Member

I am in canada...but hope to go to canadian schools...the only thing drawing me to the US is my bf in MA :)

5. Jeesing

Jeesing Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I bought one of the gold standard MCAT books. I didnt find it very good, the Kaplan material is better, and i hear princeton and EK are good too. It didnt feel like it really represented AAMC material very well. AAMC material was the best overall, but id suggest using it with kap, prince, or EK because they have so much material to study with

6. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

I've heard they are good source if you are looking for some free practice tests. But EK, TPR, TBR, and Kaplan (The big 4) still rule in winning the most reliable MCAT prep awards.

TBR = The Berkley Review
    TPR = The Princeton Review
    EK = Exam Krackers

7. theunderdog

theunderdog Medical Student (Slave)
    7+ Year Member

Examkrackers is the best. Hands down.

Don't listen to any other people. I'm serious. I took that MCAT 3 times and started off with a 19 using Kaplan. With EK, I went all the up to 36.

8. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]

EK is definitely one of the best. However, for a person needing more understanding of details, they will need to go to their textbook or go to the TPR or TBR stuff. I like using EK as a supplemental thing to my TPR materials.

9. Lests55

Lests55 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Are you guys talking about the "1001 questions" series as being the best or the subject books?

Thanks!
    Allie

10. ~CDN Pre-med~

5+ Year Member

I think i have just about everything now for the mcat...i just wanted to know what people thought of the mcat-prep.com teaching CDs...

I'm enrolled in the TPR course just to have the five tests scored relative to others writing it.

I also have the Kaplan full length, subject, and topical tests and all AAMC tests.

As well...i have audio osmosis and the 1001 series which i hope to finish before the TPR course starts in january. Since I wrote in August I reallly just want as much practice as possible.

I hope this is the LAST time i write this awful test because i ABSOLUTELY hate it....

11. hopeful_dr

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist

WOW! Very nice...2 questions: (1) When had you taken the MCAT when you got the 36? (2) I'm taking the MCAT in April for my 2nd time, and I'm signed up for 16 credits...I have EK books, and I was wondering if it would be possible to get at least a 30 with that course load?

If you (or anyone who got a 30+) would respond back, that would be awesome. Thanks :)

12. nouveau007

nouveau007 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I bought the Gold Standard, but I find that they are too advance for me (I don't have a broad science background). Hence, I switched to the Kaplan book and feel more comfortable with it.

My friends (they have already taken the MCAT) recommend the Gold Standard as a final review to remind you of key concepts; not to understand the material. Additionally, the Gold Standard does nott have a strong verbal review.