Brief Evaluation Would be Appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coranath

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I came here looking for an objective opinion. I greatly appreciate any help you can give.
I am interested in applying to schools but would like to know my chances of getting at least getting looked at by top schools. Otherwise, a suggestion of what schools might be appropriate would also be greatly appreciated.
I did not go to a school with a reputation for being easy. I am very interested in UVA, UNC, Pittsburgh and Minnesota to name a few.

My brief bio:
-3.65 GPA, Neuroscience major
-32_O MCAT
-Has worked in a cell and molecular bio lab for a year and a half
-Division I student athlete
-Academic All American
-Elected Team Captain
-Worked as a peer mentor in a pre-med athlete student club for 9 months
-Sporadic volunteer experience (due to time constraints) visiting with children patients and general patients at the U Hospital, coaching in youth athletic camps in local areas.
-Has shadowed an oral and maxillofacial surgeon as well as an ophthalmologist and thoroughly enjoyed both. Intending to shadow a neurologist.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Brief evaluation. You should have success if your PS and secondaries are good and if you can interview well. I would bet on you ending up at a mid tier program. But apply right and you will have luck.

You have a pretty well-rounded application but it's probably not going to get you looks at 1) top 10 schools or 2) stringent state schools. You should take this into consideration when choosing your school list. For example, you're interested in UNC - are you an NC resident? If not, you might not even bother with it; it's extremely competitive to get in from out of state, just as competitive if not more than the very top schools (~140/160 slots are in-state). Both UVA (80/140) and Minnesota (175/230) are similar. I would apply for a few reach schools but a majority of mid-tier schools and some backup lower tier schools, and definitely look at the MSAR information for each school that you choose and see how well the average entering class statistics match up to yours as a baseline for selection. For public schools, you should check the IS/OOS number of interviewees and matriculants for the year.

Hello,

I came here looking for an objective opinion. I greatly appreciate any help you can give.
I am interested in applying to schools but would like to know my chances of getting at least getting looked at by top schools. Otherwise, a suggestion of what schools might be appropriate would also be greatly appreciated.
I did not go to a school with a reputation for being easy. I am very interested in UVA, UNC, Pittsburgh and Minnesota to name a few.

My brief bio:
-3.65 GPA, Neuroscience major
-32_O MCAT
-Has worked in a cell and molecular bio lab for a year and a half
-Division I student athlete
-Academic All American
-Elected Team Captain
-Worked as a peer mentor in a pre-med athlete student club for 9 months
-Sporadic volunteer experience (due to time constraints) visiting with children patients and general patients at the U Hospital, coaching in youth athletic camps in local areas.
-Has shadowed an oral and maxillofacial surgeon as well as an ophthalmologist and thoroughly enjoyed both. Intending to shadow a neurologist.

Thanks!

Your chances at getting into an american MD medical school? Really High. If you are reasonable by applying early and broadly.

In terms of what specific schools, knowing what your state of residency is would be helpful. Your stats are around the national average for accepted applicants so you will have to do something miraculous with your PS, secondaries, and interviews (if you get to them) to have a chance at Top 20. You are a good bit below the accepted averages in terms of GPA/MCAT for these schools. Your D1 athlete experience can be great if you write a powerful personal statement, pretty much every school would think that its a nice thing to have on your resume considering you were able to keep your GPA/MCAT pretty high in the process.

My advice would be to submit your app as soon as AMCAS opens, return secondaries asap, and apply to 20+ schools of all tiers. You don't have to go overboard with it (so much that the quality of your secondaries diminishes), but make sure you have a good amount of low, mid, and some reach schools. Your GPA/MCAT will get you past the automatic cuts for every school out there I think, that's why you really need to knock it out of the park with your personal statement. Best of luck,