Brigham and Womens, Mass General

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dochubert

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US-born IMG and am interested in going into Internal Medicine. Does anyone know if Mass General or Brigham and Women Medical Centers are IMG friendly? I looked at their website but could not get a listing of their current house staff.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by dochubert
I am a US-born IMG and am interested in going into Internal Medicine. Does anyone know if Mass General or Brigham and Women Medical Centers are IMG friendly? I looked at their website but could not get a listing of their current house staff.

Thanks.

I hope you have some really good connections!! Nepotism is good and strong these days. Good Luck.

You will be facing a TREMENDOUS uphill battle if you want to go to MGH or BW as an IMG. You will be facing competition from the cream of the IM crop from the best of American medical schools, many will have AOA's, many will have pubs. As an IMG, you will need to prove you are better. I guess it is not IMPOSSIBLE if you have straight honors in med school, have glowing letters and have 250 boards, but then, if you have what it takes to get all those, why were you an IMG in the first place?

On MGH's official website, it says for IMG's, you need minimum of 90 on step 1 to even be considered, and from what I have heard, you better have 95 to have a serious shot at an interview. According to a friend of mine who is there, it may take an IMG every year or two, but those IMG's are usually Europeans trained at Cambridge, Paris, Heidelberg or some other elite European university medical schools, and still have good US qualifications and pubs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dochubert

Thanks.

Yeah, dude, MGH and Brigham and Women's aren't AMG friendly. A buddy of mine interviewed at MGH for anesthesia (we're USIMG's), but matched at his #2 (because MGH was, obviously, #1). Getting to Cambridge is tough any way you look at it, but, as a foreign grad, all I can say is, don't be surprised.

Originally posted by Renovar
On MGH's official website, it says for IMG's, you need minimum of 90 on step 1 to even be considered, and from what I have heard, you better have 95 to have a serious shot at an interview.

Knowing this, do you think the same cutoff exists for US grads? I'm looking at a 95 (hopefully that'll still be a decent score in a couple years), no AOA and maybe a couple pubs, from a solid but not top 25 school. It would be good to know whether this would be competitive.

Originally posted by Fermi
Knowing this, do you think the same cutoff exists for US grads? I'm looking at a 95 (hopefully that'll still be a decent score in a couple years), no AOA and maybe a couple pubs, from a solid but not top 25 school. It would be good to know whether this would be competitive.

No official cutoffs for AMGs I dont think, but I would imagine that they have the same bar for IMGs and AMGs. I imagine their class would easily have 90 or 95 average. As far as I know, both people from my school matched at MGH for IM last year have 99.

What does at 99 translate to in 3 digit scores? 95? 90? I was just given a 3 digit score by my school.

Originally posted by Hop Toad
What does at 99 translate to in 3 digit scores? 95? 90? I was just given a 3 digit score by my school.

90 would be mid 220's
95 would be mid-high 230's
99 would be somewhere in the 240's

HI,

Have either of these programs ever taken a US DO?

I know that there are DOs in the Anest. and PM&R programs.

Thanks.