Bring back MedicalCorpse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeffrety

Rangers Lead the Way
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spend my down time on night float reading through this forum. It's too funny. By far and away the most interesting and (unintentinally) hilarious poster is @MedicalCorpse. This forum is almost exclusively anti-HPSP and anti-milmed for good reason. No one articulated these reasons and provided such a deep insight into the abyss that is military medicine like MedicalCorpse. I can imagine him banging on his keyboard in anger with spittle flying out of his mouth. His posts are journeys into a dystopian world of injustice and abject suffering.

Last month marked the 10 year anniversary of his unceremonious exit from the Air Force. I would like Dr. Rob Jones to return and talk to us more about his experiences as a civilian anthesiologist versus a milmed officer. I don't know if he still reads this forum but we want you back Dr. Jones!

PS: Did Dr. Jones' books ever get published? I can't find them on amazon and internet searches turn up nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

I spend my down time on night float reading through this forum. It's too funny. By far and away the most interesting and (unintentinally) hilarious poster is @MedicalCorpse.

Find better things to do with your time. You're Class of 2014? So you've been in the MilMed a whole year? Word of advice: find a positive beacon to navigate to, your mental health depends on it. As for Dr. Jones: I'm sure you can find him via google or Facebook stalking and confess your love to him.

I'm genuinely shocked that someone with a clinical acumen as low as yours is seeing patients. But piss poor docs are a part of milmed. Youre rageful and embittered so get in line with the other GMOs but remember the ones who really suffer are the brave men and women who volunteered to fight for this country. They have no recourse against the rampant malpractice perpetuated against them. Dr. Jones is the only man who had the decency to fight against milmed while you shook in impotent rage.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm genuinely shocked that someone with a clinical acumen as low as yours is seeing patients. But piss poor docs are a part of milmed. Youre rageful and embittered so get in line with the other GMOs but remember the ones who really suffer are the brave men and women who volunteered to fight for this country. They have no recourse against the rampant malpractice perpetuated against them. Dr. Jones is the only man who had the decency to fight against milmed while you shook in impotent rage.

Your attack is baseless and out of line. That is no way to treat a colleague. Please refrain from such behavior in the future.

Well that went south in a jiffy....
We gotta keep it lively! (inport for 2 days, bored as hell, I could use a good SDN mud-slinging)

Your attack is baseless and out of line. That is no way to treat a colleague. Please refrain from such behavior in the future.
Thanks Psychbender. But nahh that's ok, let him judge my "clinical acumen" via my post, that makes a lot of sense!

Ok . . . now back to Jeffrety:

I'm genuinely shocked
No you're not. If you are, that means you're pretty young and haven't lived long enough to be "shocked" by what's really shocking in this life.

But piss poor docs are a part of milmed.
As they are a part of any system. Since Dr. Jones left us, we've been through two wars (OIF, OEF, look 'em up), and we've had some great doctors come and go, doing some great things.

the brave men and women who volunteered to fight for this country.
....and something you probably know nothing about. Are you even in uniform? Judging by your posts, it doesn't sound like it. And if you are, then you're way too early in the game to be this bitter. Again, I'd advise you to find a positive beacon, there's plenty else you could be doing during your night floats (I got through 2 seasons of 'Breaking Bad').

They have no recourse against the rampant malpractice
And so tell us . . . in your 12 months as a doctor, what do you know about 'rampant malpractice' (the cases, the mitigating circumstances, the ensuing litigation. . . .etc etc). Truth is: it's probably more 'rampant' in the civilian wold. In the MilMed, we don't get the high volume of sick patients and precarious situations that lead to malpractice events.

milmed while you shook in impotent rage.
Rage yes . . . impotent, not quite there yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Joining military medicine as an MD/PhD makes about as much sense as these posts.

As far as I recall, Dr. Jones disappeared suddenly from this universe after denigrating the moral character of specific people. I never read anything that I didn't think he could defend if he needed to but the sudden switch to radio silence made me suspect legal action at the time. He's one of the reasons I still guard my privacy after leaving the military.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure who Jeffrety is.

But MD/PhD Class of 2014 is a very specific description that only fits a couple of people in MilMed, to include myself.

I put enough details in my throwaway nametag, so that one can put two and two together. I am also not on night float right now.
Very content in my Allergy rotation.

Do not want anyone in the world to mistake this handle with me.
I do not share this persons's opinion nor would I randomly instigate an attack on anyone I do not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Guess Jeffrety hasn't been to the military courtesy class yet.

Srsly, these "anonymous" forums do not disappoint...

Honestly as someone who has worked in both civillian and mil med. The military is not that bad and gets a horrible reputation from these boards.
Oftentimes one gets confused with command specific vs military specific complaints. As someone who has seen three different commands life at each command is starkly different then others. One command is excellent in terms of qol, command support, and time away from work. Other one terrible in all aspects.
And be optimistic and try to make things better!

I found that being inport is not as boring as underway (most of the time).

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Jeffrety figured out he isn't anonymous.

I have always wondered if anyone (of any importance) in milmed actively followed these posts,

I sort of doubt it. Think of all the crazy shenanigans servicemembers get up to on Facebook. And realize how little is done about any of that. They've got drug/DUI and OPSEC fish to fry.

A bunch of moderately grumpy doctors on a professional forum, who behave professionally 99%+ of the time despite their gripes ... nah.

and if anyone has been adversely affected as a consequence of their posts

The easy answer to that is to not ever post anything (on any social media) that you'd be embarrassed to say directly to your mother or boss. Honestly, this is junior high school social media lesson #1.

Also, it's important to remember the military specifically encourages servicemembers to use social media, and there are regulations (orders) governing what servicemembers do on social media, and how they do it.

Navy Command Leadership Social Media Handbook said:
The Navy encourages service members to share their stories of service online with the American people.

[...]

Leaders should encourage personnel to:
• Identify themselves with by rank and/or position when commenting about Navy matters online and add a disclaimer that the opinions shared are their own and do not represent the command or Navy’s viewpoints; ***
• Uphold copyright and trademark laws in online posts unless one has written permission to violate from the copyright or trademark holder;
• Replace error with fact, and always try to avoid getting into an online argument; and
• Admit mistakes and correct them immediately (make a note when information has been updated or edited so not to lose credibility with other community members).
Plus the usual caveats about OPSEC, how the code of conduct applies online as well as offline, not using your rank/title or position when expressing political opinions the way you wouldn't wear your uniform to a political rally, etc.

This forum is, bar none, the best place on the internet to get current, factual information about HPSP, USUHS, and service in the medical corps. This place is exactly what the Navy had in mind when they published those guidelines.

So I would encourage everyone to post freely about their experiences, but with the honor and decorum they'd have if they were standing in uniform someplace addressing prospective HPSP'ers, or their colleagues, or their mother, or their CO. It's OK to be critical.

Expecting the pseudo-anonymity of the internet to protect you from the consequences of saying things you know you shouldn't say is dumb.

*** The most recent version of this handbook (and the required online training) specifically notes that such a disclaimer isn't required when it's clear from context that the individual is not speaking on behalf of the Navy in an official capacity.

I think the islamic state and al qaeda have facebook accounts too. Some teen convert may come a calling.

I'm not very anonymous. How many Flight Surgeons from the state of Florida who went to LECOM Bradenton who matched to Mayo PM&R are there? I'm fine with that. A huge mistake people make is believing that they are anonymous. When you live in Japan in high school...along with trying to hook up with Japanese girls and watching WWE (the only show on TV)...you learn to create your own entertainment. So you dabble with benign hacking with your friends and find out that anonymity on the internet doesn't exist. :)

I find the comments re: MilMed very helpful. Much of civilian health care moves towards this (consolidation of services, hierarchy, bureaucracy).

I'm not very anonymous. How many Flight Surgeons from the state of Florida who went to LECOM Bradenton who matched to Mayo PM&R are there? I'm fine with that. A huge mistake people make is believing that they are anonymous. When you live in Japan in high school...along with trying to hook up with Japanese girls and watching WWE (the only show on TV)...you learn to create your own entertainment. So you dabble with benign hacking with your friends and find out that anonymity on the internet doesn't exist. :)
It's been probably 6 or 7 years since the first person walked up to me and said "are you that pgg guy on SDN?"

About the only thing missing from my posts here over the years, clue-wise, is a photo and business card.

I just assume everyone who cares knows exactly who I am. :)

medicalcorpse and galo were both so vehemently anti-military medicine any actual useful bits were drowned out by their wailing/gnashing of teeth. which in a way is unfortunate but i think some people see SDN as a way to genuinely assist people, others for cathartic therapy. i think they were both the latter.

i'm not too concerned about anonymity. i am careful about what i post, but to my knowledge no negative consequences have befallen anyone from the forum. i can assure you that SDN as an entity is pretty damn tight with membership info and far larger issues have come up in the past (non-military) that members identities have been protected. i'm sure if i spent the time parsing everyones posts i could cross reference and guess who people are IRL but in the end it wouldn't really change my opinion of them. i know a few people, but as far as i know i'm not in day to day contact with anyone. the army is small at times, but for things like this it's big enough to maintain some anyonymity without being overly paranoid.

oh, and in some particular cases a people may be watching. the next time you defend the army from a troll you should notify your boss-- maybe you'll get an ARCOM! (and no, this is not from duffleblog...) http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/2014/12/31/moerk-commendation-award-trolling/21103073/

--your friendly neighborhood where is my online MSM caveman

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone here badmouths Suzy Rottencrotch, I will have Ash Carter on the phone.

I spend my down time on night float reading through this forum. It's too funny. By far and away the most interesting and (unintentinally) hilarious poster is @MedicalCorpse. This forum is almost exclusively anti-HPSP and anti-milmed for good reason. No one articulated these reasons and provided such a deep insight into the abyss that is military medicine like MedicalCorpse. I can imagine him banging on his keyboard in anger with spittle flying out of his mouth. His posts are journeys into a dystopian world of injustice and abject suffering.

Last month marked the 10 year anniversary of his unceremonious exit from the Air Force. I would like Dr. Rob Jones to return and talk to us more about his experiences as a civilian anthesiologist versus a milmed officer. I don't know if he still reads this forum but we want you back Dr. Jones!

PS: Did Dr. Jones' books ever get published? I can't find them on amazon and internet searches turn up nothing.

Funny a few of us military members who had the unpleasurable experiences of "working " with Jones over 20 years ago... Decided to google this nutjob to see where his journey has led him..serving time in leveworth? Instututionized ? 6 ft under? Nah...of course he would be a drisgrunteled, grandiose hate spewing blogger...
He's written a lot and it's all the same --we get you Rob. I will just add that are the most miserable person I have ever known in my middle years. Readers , this is a guy who brought gaggles of interns and students to trail to him as he found a new nurse who had incorrectly charted the word "outer vs lateral" he then , as he always did 'do you know how I Am??" And made her say whatever lowly rank he was, then he demanded she take notice of his rank --and that he is an MD- then came his entire Harvard Graduate, Mensa member.. Resume . Then he would continue to berate and humiliate this nurse, until every patient , patient family member , doctors gathered around, nurses came out , clerks, janitors, everyone and he continued to bash her until she cried. started to descend and circle around, janitors , clerks , everyone

Funny a few of us military members who had the unpleasurable experiences of "working " with Jones over 20 years ago... Decided to google this nutjob to see where his journey has led him..serving time in leveworth? Instututionized ? 6 ft under? Nah...of course he would be a drisgrunteled, grandiose hate spewing blogger...
He's written a lot and it's all the same --we get you Rob. I will just add that are the most miserable person I have ever known in my middle years. Readers , this is a guy who brought gaggles of interns and students to trail to him as he found a new nurse who had incorrectly charted the word "outer vs lateral" he then , as he always did 'do you know how I Am??" And made her say whatever lowly rank he was, then he demanded she take notice of his rank --and that he is an MD- then came his entire Harvard Graduate, Mensa member.. Resume . Then he would continue to berate and humiliate this nurse, until every patient , patient family member , doctors gathered around, nurses came out , clerks, janitors, everyone and he continued to bash her until she cried. started to descend and circle around, janitors , clerks , everyone

Funny [...]

It's funny how necrobumped threads almost always come from newly registered people who are apparently using the internet for the first time in their lives. A 4 post necrobumping debut that has 3 botched attempts at quoting makes me wonder what else is wrong with you.

I never met the guy (MedicalCorpse), but it was abundantly clear from his posts that he would be an absolutely insufferable colleague to be around. There were grains of truth in the systemic problems he ranted about, but nobody (nobody) has such repeated run-ins with administration over trivial things (like crossing the street away from a crosswalk) unless he's a genuine problem child and/or is spoiling for a fight over everything.

@pgg Maybe but he didn't seem like the type and disappeared suddenly. Look at his website "For personal reasons having nothing to do with the US govt, medicalcorpse.com is on hiatus".

Baseless conspiracy speculation with absolutely no proof: he was subject to some kind of cease and desist. He was AD when he started doing this. There was FOUO stuff on the site and he clearly disparaged specific senior officers. I could see them holding up his separation. I bet he pissed people off enough that they decided he was worth the effort. Or...he wrote that to give this impression.

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone would get out with 19 years service (as medicalcorps claimed) unless they were going to deploy. One would be "stop loss" most likely anyhow.

I don't believe anyone would get out with 19 years service (as medicalcorps claimed) unless they were going to deploy. One would be "stop loss" most likely anyhow.

I've come across a number of people (4) getting out at 17. Haven't encountered anyone at 19 yet. These were all surgeons who did a .mil residency followed by fellowship.

I've come across a number of people (4) getting out at 17. Haven't encountered anyone at 19 yet. These were all surgeons who did a .mil residency followed by fellowship.

He wasn't really at 19 years, but 15 active duty. He liked to include his USUHS time to increase the dramatic effect.

- ex 61N

nobody (nobody) has such repeated run-ins with administration over trivial things (like crossing the street away from a crosswalk) unless he's a genuine problem child and/or is spoiling for a fight over everything.

I don't know what the story about the crosswalk was, but I have found that repeated run-ins with the administration over absolutely trivial things are pretty much what defines military medicine for every military physician I know.

"Your leave has been denied because you are delinquent in the following online SWANK HEALTH training: How to answer the front desk phone politely."

Thank god this training is available. Otherwise when the situation occurs, which might happen close to never, I totally would have answered, "Hello, this is dr zaius, go **** yourself with a severed horse c*ck, how may I help you?"

This is why I get into repeated rows with the company.

"Your leave has been denied because you are delinquent in the following online SWANK HEALTH training: How to answer the front desk phone politely."

Thank god this training is available. Otherwise when the situation occurs, which might happen close to never, I totally would have answered, "Hello, this is dr zaius, go **** yourself with a severed horse c*ck, how may I help you?"

This is why I get into repeated rows with the company.
"You haven't completed the required MRT blocks for this month.

The next training date will be [4 weeks after your requested leave date]."

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

I've gotta say, the military was maddening at times. I had the opportunity to serve as a flight surgeon, and I will never regret it. Took care of some great people, met many more. The circumstances led to meeting my wife and making lifelong friends. I owe the USAF a great deal due to these considerations.

What I didn't appreciate was the HPSP apparatus that denied me entry into my chosen field without offering any support at any juncture.

I am a ****ing physician. I have worked my ass off, and as a system, there was no point in time that I felt valued or respected for my hard-earned credentials. I never felt that my career goals were honored in any capacity by the institution. Therefore, because I had self-respect, I got out and will never legitimately look back.

Was the AF willing to help me make O4-6 in exchange for re-upping and being a good officer? Sure. That's not what I value in this life. So it wasn't a good fit, and I suspect it won't be for many physicians who sign up even with the best intentions.

I display my RMOs from deployment, my various medals, photos with dear friends, the photo of the embrace my wife and I shared when I arrived back into the States... I remember it all fondly.

But I couldn't stay in. Wasn't for me. Thankful I got to do it, won't do it again.

Still think it's a great option for many, and I don't regret it. I will still recommend with significant caveats.

Last edited: