Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Status (Visible)
Ok, so the inclined plane and I do not get along, but I hope to reconcile our differences for the sake of the MCAT. ::Sigh::

Anyhoo, really, for some reason I have always had difficulty with those problems, i.e. find the force of a block sliding down an inclined plane of some angle theta. Could someone try to explain in laymans terms how you go about setting it up with the relevant vectors and cos/sin or theta, etc.

You can just PM me, or respond to the thread. Thank you so much in advance! Yay physical sciences (riiiight). ;)

ornis4

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
always think mgsin theta for the force down the slope...always think mgcos theta for normal force. Friction must be considered as well, in the direction of mgsin theta...or against it, depending on the problem. I thought EK did a great job with this topic...kept it simple. Anyway, from what I hear it's a basic must-know for the test, so be sure to master it! Perhaps someone else can explain it better...

princessd3

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2002
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Imagine if the block was falling straight down i.e no inclined plane. The only force acting is gravity..mg. Since the block is on an incline the force pushing block down is not as much as mg...its a fraction of mg. That's where the angle comes in. The only force acting to move the block is mgX sin of angle of incline. Get it?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.