Bring to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amikhchi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read several threads on what to bring to an interview, but my question is directed to what to actually bring to the interview room (or whatever). Like are you supposed to go in empty, or should you bring a copy of your amcas/ps/etc. in a breifcase or one of those folder things?

Members don't see this ad.

I brought a bunch of stuff in a nice, professional looking folder thing. I set it down on the table, off to the side, when the interview started.

Never opened it once.

I could have gone empty if I wanted to, but it was nice knowing I was prepared for the unexpected.

Members don't see this ad :)
I brought in a leather portfolio with my primay app, school specific 2ndry app, pen and notepad. I mainly had the apps to review while waiting for the interview to begin and the pen and paper to jot notes during the interview.

I brought in a leather portfolio with my primay app, school specific 2ndry app, pen and notepad. I mainly had the apps to review while waiting for the interview to begin and the pen and paper to jot notes during the interview.

Great idea! I have a lot of ECs and I can't keep the dates straight sometimes. Especially the ones I did more than a year ago. Thanks for the good advice!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thats what I thought to bring, k thanks...

About writing notes, wouldn't it be kinda weird to be writing down notes while you're being asked questions?

Great idea! I have a lot of ECs and I can't keep the dates straight sometimes. Especially the ones I did more than a year ago. Thanks for the good advice!

:thumbup::thumbup:
They're not going to quiz you on specific dates you did things. If you say "Last year" or "Two years ago" they'll be perfectly fine with it.

About writing notes, wouldn't it be kinda weird to be writing down notes while you're being asked questions?

The notes I wrote were in response to the questions that I asked at the end of the interview. Research opportunities, rotations, etc. I don't think I could take notes while the interviewers were asking questions, too distracting.

After going to my interviews i really think all you should bring is your best suit and a pen. Only bring a leather folder if they ask you to bring in a photo or some other paper work. I think for the interview itself you should have preped some questions before hand for your interviewer, and go in and just have a conversation. My personal belief is do not hold a folder, do not write anything during your interview, and if you do receive your interviewer's card just slip it in your coat pocket. I say this because i think the best interviews are when you are completely focused on the topic at hand and conversing freely - writing while talking makes you look distracted and having a resume, PS, or CV is just a waste, you should beable to speak to your credentials and your interviewer is going to want to hear it out of your mouth not attempt to read it on a piece of paper.. after all this is an interview. Just my thoughts on the whole process.

After going to my interviews i really think all you should bring is your best suit and a pen. Only bring a leather folder if they ask you to bring in a photo or some other paper work. I think for the interview itself you should have preped some questions before hand for your interviewer, and go in and just have a conversation. My personal belief is do not hold a folder, do not write anything during your interview, and if you do receive your interviewer's card just slip it in your coat pocket. I say this because i think the best interviews are when you are completely focused on the topic at hand and conversing freely - writing while talking makes you look distracted and having a resume, PS, or CV is just a waste, you should beable to speak to your credentials and your interviewer is going to want to hear it out of your mouth not attempt to read it on a piece of paper.. after all this is an interview. Just my thoughts on the whole process.

That and, if it's an open-file interview, they're going to have everything they need in front of them anyway

Just bring a pen.

i bring nothing. you will not need anything other than yourself on interview day.