bringing a portfolio to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charlatangirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, a crazy idea has been germinating in my little brain for a few days.

i'd like to bring a portfolio to an upcoming interview for a school i really want to attend. it would include things that i think set me apart from other candidates - particularly, the two records i have cut with different bands i've been in. one is a 12-track LP from college, the other, a 5-song EP from grad school days. i would also throw in the inaugural issue of a magazine i founded at jhu, as well as samples of my writing.

is this against the rules? is it a really bad idea? does anyone at all think this would increase my chances for admission even remotely?

i appreciate your advice.
~cg

Members don't see this ad.

This was recently discussed in another thread...

It seems a bit much for me, but if it is important to you, then go for it.

I don't think it is a good idea and I don't think it will increase your chances for admissions. Medical schools make you travel to their schools partially because they want to meet you, chat with you, and get a sense of who you are beyond the paper application -- I don't think interviewers, who are generally pretty busy people, will be willing to take time away from that purpose to peruse additional materials that you've brought.

I don't think that interviewers will need to listen to a CD to be impressed that you've been a part of a band -- being able to communicate your passion for music during the interview conversation will be enough.

The same goes for the magazine. As for the writing samples, the best example of your writing will be your personal statement. I sensed that the majority of my interviewers had read my personal statement carefully; a few commented on how they enjoyed reading it. You should focus more on doing a stellar job on your personal statement rather than on bringing samples to an interview where they, more than likely, will not get read.

Members don't see this ad :)
overkill - plus a little overly desperate... and a little psycho :D :p

Originally posted by DarkChild
overkill - plus a little overly desperate... and a little psycho :D :p

Ditto.
Not to mention representative of the worst kind of classmate one could think of (think gunner in the making).

Nothing personal. Just realize most people will view it that way. Nothing wrong with your accomplishments, just find a more classy way to convey them. Good luck.

alright, guys, i get it! thanks for the input. guess i'm just a leeeetle nervous about this interview.

funny how this thread might characterize me as a gunner. i'm probably one of the laziest people on the sdn forums! :p