bringing cv to interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemcats86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has brought a couple copies of your cv to an interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has brought a couple copies of your cv to an interview.

I have. And I always hand a copy to one interviewer at each school. I think it's a great way to update them with new information. I have also been asked about some of new, updated activities (research & publication), and it can strengthen the impression you leave with the interviewer.

I do that as well, if the interviewer seems receptive to it. I also brought a copy of my research abstracts/manuscripts, but you just have to see if the interviewer seems interested in getting additional info. Most of the time it will go in your fiile which can't hurt.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't, but it seems to me like it may be valuable if you're a bit of a non-trad applicant w/a lot of academic/research experience with some publications.

A vast majority of applicants won't have enough to put on a CV, unless you have significant research experience. If it's legit and not fluff, then bring it.

Isn't your amcas a fair representative of your CV?
I thought they limit the list of experiences on AMCAS to 15 to cut back on the time needed for reviewing applications and to emphesize your main experiences.
Also, I thought that interivew was to get to know the applicant personally?

I think it's something to think about. I'm afraid to bring it and feel like I'm imposing it on them?

Has anyone had any experience with bringing CVs and the reaction of the interviewer?

Thanks

You don't really need to carry anything during the interview, except maybe a leather portfolio, which is optional. I've rarely heard of people actually giving a resume/CV to the interviewer (they usually have your AMCAS already). However, I'd bring the AMCAS to review the night before the interview. It's probably a good idea to be able to recite everything on your AMCAS by memory. I've been asked questions about information on my AMCAS even while the interviewer is staring at my AMCAS. Know thyself!

AMCAS can serve as a CV for most typical undergraduates. Some of us non-trads, however, have done a lot more than 15 things. In my AMCAS primary I included several clinically relevant jobs, presentations, publications, research studies, etc., etc., but had to choose carefully which experiences I included. The CV served to flesh out the skeleton version contained in the AMCAS (a full list of presentations, full list of courses taught, guest lecturing, panel discussions, etc., etc.).

AMCAS can serve as a CV for most typical undergraduates. Some of us non-trads, however, have done a lot more than 15 things. In my AMCAS primary I included several clinically relevant jobs, presentations, publications, research studies, etc., etc., but had to choose carefully which experiences I included. The CV served to flesh out the skeleton version contained in the AMCAS (a full list of presentations, full list of courses taught, guest lecturing, panel discussions, etc., etc.).

Agreed. If you have had a fairly substantial life before applying, a CV might be a better way to put things into some semblance of a timeline. So nontrads might be well served to have one. The typical undergrad won't need it because many are having to think of more things to put on AMCAS rather than decide which things to leave out.

cv = curriculum vitae = resume.

I wouldn't say a CV is = to a resume. I'm sure you know the difference drizz, but I'll elaborate for others. For a CV, the longer the better. You want to include everything and usually list titles of publications, abstracts, etc. and elaborate on miscellaneous (sp?) activities, unlike a resume where you aim for brevity. They are similar, though different in some ways.

I've personally never taken anything like this to an interview, though from what others said, it may not be a bad idea. I heard that NYMC asks you to bring copies of your personal statement to give your interviewer...