Bringing Undergrad text books and notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tangent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just starting to pack to move across the country for med school and was wondering if it will be helpful to have my books and notes from undergrad classes or if I should just leave them

Members don't see this ad.

Tangent said:
Just starting to pack to move across the country for med school and was wondering if it will be helpful to have my books and notes from undergrad classes or if I should just leave them

Unless your new place has a fireplace and you are short on kindling, you will have no need for them.

Definitely leaving/selling/burning mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Law2Doc said:
Unless your new place has a fireplace and you are short on kindling, you will have no need for them.

Hehe... funny. However, I think it depends on what you took for undergrad. I took a neurobiology class, and our text was "Principles of Neural Science" (Kandel), which I have seen as a recommendation as a good neuro reference. I am definitely bringing that one with me. It might save me 100 bucks if it ends up being a recommended reference for neuro. If not, it's still a fantastic book to have around as a reference.

Do not bring them. They will be utterly useless. Save yourself the trouble; you'll accumulate plenty of notes in no time. ;)

Dr. Weebs said:
Hehe... funny. However, I think it depends on what you took for undergrad. I took a neurobiology class, and our text was "Principles of Neural Science" (Kandel), which I have seen as a recommendation as a good neuro reference. I am definitely bringing that one with me. It might save me 100 bucks if it ends up being a recommended reference for neuro. If not, it's still a fantastic book to have around as a reference.

In most cases you won't be buying the "recommended" references. Most people use the course notes, maybe the "required" text, and various board reference summary type materials. You won't have the time or need to go beyond this to other text references.

Heed My Advice! Sell All Your Undergrad Books Asap Before They Come Out With New Editions! Make Some Good Cash And Buy Yourself Some High-yield Books Or Some Board Review Books.

You won't need 'em.

After your MSII year, you won't need any of your notes for the third year either.

And for residency, you definitely won't need any notes.

Dr. Weebs said:

There's no way you'll ever get around to the Kandel book. It's nice to have on your bookshelf, but unless you're going to Columbia Med, your med school will approach neur in an entirely different way.

PostalWookie said:
There's no way you'll ever get around to the Kandel book. It's nice to have on your bookshelf, but unless you're going to Columbia Med, your med school will approach neur in an entirely different way.

I don't go to Columbia and Kandel was our required neuro text. The only other book i used from undergrad was Murray's Medical Microbiology. If you took biochem as an undergrad, you might want to bring that as reference for med school. Most books (and defnitely all notes) can be left at home.

pillowhead said:
I don't go to Columbia and Kandel was our required neuro text. The only other book i used from undergrad was Murray's Medical Microbiology. If you took biochem as an undergrad, you might want to bring that as reference for med school. Most books (and defnitely all notes) can be left at home.

Speaking of notes.... does anyone take notes on a computer or is class to fast paced? Alternatively anyone write up notes after class with computer?

tcar18 said:
Speaking of notes.... does anyone take notes on a computer or is class to fast paced? Alternatively anyone write up notes after class with computer?
Lots of people use computers. What do you mean by "too fast paced"? It's faster to type than it is to write.

I personally feel like I short hand faster than I type. I'm not a slow typer by any means but the lecture gets fast and furious, I can always hit that nos on my fingers and scribble.

yeah, and also some of us aren't used to typing out our notes during class...personally, I think it's kinda nice to write out your own notes since that's the only time I get to actually write something down. My penmanship has seriously gone to hell since high school.

The other thing is, most science classes in college consisted of powerpoint slides which we printed out and took notes on, labeling this structure and making arrows to show that relationship...you can't really do that on the computer, unless you have a tablet, and it's the same thing: you just label everything with a special computer pen thingy.