Bringing up Abortion, Secondary Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwertyytrewq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So some schools have secondary essays that require you to talk about clinical experiences and cultural sensitivity.

I talked about taking gynecological patient histories on Hispanic woman who are (usually devoutly catholic) and the awkwardness that I (and they originally felt) when asking these detailed questions and how I got over it, learned to handle it etc.. For one of my examples I brought up a time in my training when a woman lied about the number of times she had been pregnant (she did not mention that she had an abortion) even though I specifically asked, and my trainer a medical assistant called her on it, got the truth from her etc...

I didnt say I was for or against or abortion or attempt to make any political stances, but still, was it a bad idea for me to bring this up at all? When I wrote it I didnt even think of it as an abortion issue.

And yes I know, I shouldnt even be worried about this now since its too late, but waiting around makes you neurotic.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say if you're asked about it just be careful with your wording. But for what it's worth, no one is "for abortion". Being Pro-Choice is not the same as "Pro-Abortion".

secondary essay

+

abortion

=

Oh_God_No.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see anything wrong with talking about abortion in your secondary as long as you refer to the sensitivity people have when talking about the issue, NOT your position. It's a part of medicine and should be handled with maturity. In other news, why is there a bottle of KY in the picture with the hamster?

Maybe I missed something in your post, but I don't see the connection between doubting a woman's pregnancy count and cultural sensitivity in a clinical setting. Yeah, Hispanics tend to be Catholic, but not everyone follows the "rules" of their religion in all circumstances...I think that the presumptions I'm getting from what you said above are worse than mentioning abortion.

Anyway, I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing to mention abortion in an essay. It definitely depends on how it's approached. The fact of the matter is, abortion exists, regardless of what an individual's view is. It's a check box on intake papers. So if you kept it a neutral commentary, like just simply stating facts and leaving out judgement, I wouldn't worry too much.

Plus, not like you can change it now, like you said. Put it out of your mind and move on. :)

secondary essay

+

abortion

=

Oh_God_No.jpg

I totally disagree. I don't think you're experience speaks to pro-choice/pro-life or anything political but rather to your cultural sensitivity. This is a big topic and an important one in health care today. I think by simply discussing this you're are demonstrating that you're aware of these things and that you care about making your patient feel comfortable while still treating her. Just don't mention your opinion on abortion. Make it more about the patient and how this taught you how to work with patients of different cultures/religious backgrounds.

Maybe I missed something in your post, but I don't see the connection between doubting a woman's pregnancy count and cultural sensitivity in a clinical setting. Yeah, Hispanics tend to be Catholic, but not everyone follows the "rules" of their religion in all circumstances...I think that the presumptions I'm getting from what you said above are worse than mentioning abortion.

Anyway, I think it doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing to mention abortion in an essay. It definitely depends on how it's approached. The fact of the matter is, abortion exists, regardless of what an individual's view is. It's a check box on intake papers. So if you kept it a neutral commentary, like just simply stating facts and leaving out judgement, I wouldn't worry too much.

Plus, not like you can change it now, like you said. Put it out of your mind and move on. :)

I meant to convey that the woman was catholic and thus didnt want to reveal her abortion to me ( a relative stranger) and theHhispanic part has more to do with taking the patient history asking all these personal an intimate questions in Spanish (not my native language). I wasnt judging, its a community I grew up in and care about. Dont want to spread any bigotry or stereotypes.

I meant to convey that the woman was catholic and thus didnt want to reveal her abortion to me ( a relative stranger) and theHhispanic part has more to do with taking the patient history asking all these personal an intimate questions in Spanish (not my native language). I wasnt judging, its a community I grew up in and care about. Dont want to spread any bigotry or stereotypes.

That's understandable and a bit clearer now to me.

Nothing of use to add, I just love how any SDN thread can turn into a thread about hamsters up the butt. :rolleyes:

well if you submitted already, it's too late but i would avoid controversial issues. better safe than sorry.

I totally disagree. I don't think you're experience speaks to pro-choice/pro-life or anything political but rather to your cultural sensitivity. This is a big topic and an important one in health care today. I think by simply discussing this you're are demonstrating that you're aware of these things and that you care about making your patient feel comfortable while still treating her. Just don't mention your opinion on abortion. Make it more about the patient and how this taught you how to work with patients of different cultures/religious backgrounds.

if i were the adcom, then id inquire the op's position

I don't see anything wrong with talking about abortion in your secondary as long as you refer to the sensitivity people have when talking about the issue, NOT your position. It's a part of medicine and should be handled with maturity.

it is a quagmire in the making

Nothing of use to add, I just love how any SDN thread can turn into a thread about hamsters up the butt. :rolleyes:

my 285 posts = ******ed

Well, the only reason to not hamster somebody's butt is if they either have no butt, or you have no hamster.