Britain schools cheaper than NY state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - as you could guess this post concerns british schools. I have a few questions for people who might have applied there or are currently studying at a school there. British schools are much cheaper than many state schools (NY being one of them), and their graduates can also get good residency placements in NY, and other US states. So why don't applicants consider them worth applying to. Is it too far for them, or just really competitive (if so, how competitive do you need to be?). I am not just lured by the price, but also the quality of education, which is comparable to US schools.
Any info would be great. I appreciate the help guys, thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools in Britain that is ...England and Scotland are mostly 6 year programs which students start after high school.Only a couple of them allow transfers into the third year.There is a lot of competition for entrance to med school as in the US,and space is very limited for international applicants with many of the slots going to asian and middle east nationals.Thats why few americans are in these schools,its not impossible but very hard get in.The schools in Ireland are adiffirent story...they have a good number of places for americans.

Also bear in mind that a graduate of a British school is still an IMG and subject to ECFMG certification should they desire a US residency. Despite the well-recognized quality of education received at these schools, some residency programs shy away from taking IMGs - even those from commonwealth countries. Many students likely don't apply because they are fearful of the repercussions of being an IMG.

Secondly, consider that many applicants would also be uncomfortable about being so far from home. While you and I might enjoy the opportunity to live abroad, many are not and even when they make the decision to do so, spend a great deal of time bemoaning the fact that "its not like it is in the US." :rolleyes:

At any rate, the reasons why people don't apply to the British schools are varied and for some, the cost difference (not withstanding the extremely high cost of living in the UK; which *might* negate the tuition difference) isn't worth the other challenges.