Britain schools cheaper than NY state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - as you could guess this post concerns british schools. I have a few questions for people who might have applied there or are currently studying at a school there. British schools are much cheaper than many state schools (NY being one of them), and their graduates can also get good residency placements in NY, and other US states. So why don't applicants consider them worth applying to. Is it too far for them, or just really competitive (if so, how competitive do you need to be?). I am not just lured by the price, but also the quality of education, which is comparable to US schools.
Any info would be great. I appreciate the help guys, thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure they're cheaper for you? I can understand them being cheap for citizens as everything is totally socialized there, but why would the government there want to pay for the physicians of the world?

I think people rather be in the US because it's easier to get a residency.

Try a search on the international forum to see if this has been addressed before

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know very many specifics on this.

but i studied at oxford and at least there, the "medical school" is six years and begins right after high school.

the tuition, however, is ridiculously cheap.

Living expense is high high high in Britain.

Graduating from British med school also means that you will be regarded as an international medical graduate for licensure purpose in the US, meaning there might be extra tests to take and extra hurdles to cross that US med school grads don't have.

Tuition is cheap for Britons and European Union citizens. Not sure if it will be that cheap for Americans. I believe that tuition for UK and EU people is around 2,000 pounds but 12,000 pounds for Singaporeans who study engineering over there Oxford. Medicine would be a different price.