British National - med school in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluefunk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Haven't been able to find anything about internationals going to med school in the states so just wondered what my chances are.

I've got a good undergrad degree in molecular biology, a PhD in Biochemistry both from British Universities (I am British) and (by the time I apply) I'll have two years postdoc at St Jude Children's Research hospital. I've got first author publications in Journal of Biological chemistry, Molecular cell and my name on a Nature paper.

I have shadowed an MD and done volunteer work in Memphis.

I'm guessing I'll still have to take the MCAT (the system here is different to the UK) but am I on the right path to getting accepted?

Thanks for your help in advance, I genuinely appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, 1st: you will have to question your motivation for wanting to do medical school for an extra 4 years with a Phd degree already because the adcoms will ask. 2nd: with your British studies done, double-check to see if you have the required courses; I am sure you might have taken equivalent courses.
3rd: will be studying on a student visa? Because, now we are talking about you paying for your studies out of pocket since you will not have access to federal loans. Private loans right now are as dry as a bone, so that's something to think about.

:confused:

Are you a dual citizen or do you hold a green card? An H1B or other work visa probably won't cut it. Many schools will not take international applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help, I'm currently here on a work visa, no green card. I'm guessing that pretty much eliminates my options here?

Thanks for your help, I'm currently here on a work visa, no green card. I'm guessing that pretty much eliminates my options here?

Bluefunk, I think there are about 25 schools that accept international students. The majority of private schools do not care about citizenship. I think your biggest problem is having a UK education. The majority of schools require that you complete your bachelors in the US or Canada. The other schools usually require at least 1 year of education in US or Canada.

This is a list of schools and their stance on international applicants:

http://www.naahp.org/resources_InternatMed_Article_June09.htm

Your should go through the above list and compile a list of schools accepting non-Canadian international students. You would then have to narrow down your list to schools that don't require an American/Canadian education(if there are any).

I'm not really an expert, but if you really wanted to practice medicine in the US, I think your best bet would be to go to a respectable school in the Caribbean....

Why wouldn't you consider a graduate entry program in Britain?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but essentially all US Med schools require that at least the pre-reqs be done at a US (or Canadian) undergraduate university, regardless of the out of country education of the applicant. Many require an entire bachelor's degree be done in the US. I would recommend that you look into med schools back home in Britain.

..... how are you going to whip out a quarter million dollars to pay for it?

Dartmouth comes to mind for taking international students regardless of where degree was completed at. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dartmouth comes to mind for taking international students regardless of where degree was completed at. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Their admissions website : http://dms.dartmouth.edu/admissions/admission/

says:
Admissions Requirements
  • One year (eight semester hours) each of general chemistry, organic chemistry, biology, and physics.
  • A half-year of calculus.
  • Facility in written and spoken English.
  • The equivalent of at least three years' college work at an American or Canadian post-secondary institution.
  • A semester of biochemistry is encouraged, but not required.
  • Students are encouraged to major in a field of particular interest and, if possible, to pursue independent investigations in that field.
  • All candidates are expected to present scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Students who choose not to submit MCAT scores will be at a disadvantage. Although the Admissions Committee does not employ rigid cutoffs, applicants should be aware that the average combined entering MCAT score is approximately 33, and the average undergraduate GPA is 3.7.

Don't give up yet. This isn't impossible, just quite difficult. You've got to do your research to figure out where exactly will work for you. There are a few places that will take you and given your qualifications, you could make this all work out, but the same advice applies for you as does for everyone else. Rock your pre-med qualifications, do well on the MCAT and shadow some doctors or work in a hospital setting.

Right now you need to find out which schools will even consider you. What were your results for your undergrad? A 2:1 from a reputable uni might transfer over without a problem. You'll want to take this to a 'degree translation' service/clearing house to figure out how your degree will be seen by admissions people and to see what (if any) courses you might need to take.

Saying that, if you're set on staying in the US, you might have to do your medical degree back in the UK and then come to the US for residency as a FMG (not exactly ideal, but a way in to the US). Strangely I might be doing the opposite thing in a few years.

Does this have to do with an international relationship and visa issues?

Wow thanks for all your responses, had no idea you'd all be this helpful.

To try and answer all your questions:

1. I'd like to do med school in the USA because I'm quite enjoying my time in TN at the moment and I can go back to england whenever I want - experiencing things in a different culture is the essence of life (to sound cheesy). I'm not adverse to going back to the UK, just the US would be my #1 option.

2. Unfortunately, I am not from a rich family so $250,000 is a bit out of my price range. I was curious to know if I would qualify for a federal loan but I guess that answers my question.

3. My undergrad degree was a 2:1 from a mid-range uni (not oxford/cambridge or any of the London schools), I understand this might be a problem.

4. The other option is doing med school in UK and coming over afterwards - I am keeping that in mind.

Out of curiosity, why would you choose to move to the UK for residency? I love the NHS for the service it provides but I pity the employees.

Thank you again!

If you enter a graduate entry program it might actually be better for your studies. Your course will still be 4 years long, but then it is only clinical years which means that you obtain more clinical experience than you would have at an american university.

Hell you could probably come and study here and enter the GEMP program. You would obtain far more experience and experience a relatively different culture.

i don't think american banks loan money out the foreigners without some kind of tax paying history?
My dad got a loan on a L-1 visa, and I know people with H1B visa who can get loans.
but they are straight up loans. American goverment won't loan you money to go to med school. Maybe a british agency would.

( i didn't have a green card for many many years)

I thought I'd post an update as this thread has had almost 1000 views.

I am now a green card holder, through my work and not marriage. Although I am engaged to an American girl, which has encouraged me to stay in US. Why don't I go back to UK for medical school? Other than the fiance, I am now considered a foreign student by UK standards (more than 24 months out of the country) so fees will be very similar to US.

I have taken the MCAT and got a solid score (33) and spoken to the dean of admissions of my local medical school who has said with a PhD, he doesn't think a lack of the per-requisites will be a problem and encourages me to apply.

I am currently completing my AMCAS application and will let you guys know what happens to help any other brits that may follow my path.

My main point is for any people who want to pursue medicine in the US without an American undergrad degree/pre-med course, there is still hope.

I hope I'm not the only one who reads your posts in an accent...

Damn Brits, coming over here and stealing our women with your sweet accent.

Oh well, Good luck!

Well I thought I'd post one last update to help anyone in the same situation.

I have just recieved an offer from a US university, despite not obtaining the required prerequisites from a US institution. I did however get instantly rejected from 4 others but... there's always hope. Just make sure you speak to the go-to person in the admissions office and have a good app.

Good luck you all!