• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Broad base vs narrow base fungi

Broad-based budding = Blastomyces dermatitidis

Narrow-based budding = Cryptococcus neoformans

-------

As far as I'm aware, per imaging, you'll see the budding occur along what appears to be the whole diameter for broad-based, so the widest part of the budding complex is at the axis of cytokinesis.

Don't worry about the imaging for narrow-based. Know that narrow-based budding = Cryptococcus just in case a vignette mentions it, but if they show you an image, it will be a white circular prominent polysaccharidic capsule in surrounding India ink stain, or they'll show you red mucicarmine staining. But also be aware of latex agglutination for Crypto.

Reactions: 2 users

withrye

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
The "base" refers to the amount of contact between two buds. This is to say that broad based buds are practically entirely connected at the base before splitting off. Yes, you MAY see some Blasto organisms at a narrow stalk right before they split, but this is about the classic, textbook histology. Narrow based buds, however, show a clear "stalk" or narrow zone from where they're splitting.
http://tiger.kobiljak.msu.edu/WebSites/Web_Path/webpath/microbio/microbe/mic-fung.htm
http://www.cap.org/apps/docs/cap_today/1210/Fig-3.jpg

I think it's most helpful to remember that Blastomyces is classically "broad based," while many other fungi can be considered narrow based. Histoplasmosis, for instance, is also narrow based budding yeast. You're rarely (never?) going to need to make a fungus diagnosis based on the image alone; more often the patient presentation will make itself helpful as to which organism is most likely.

About the Ads

lulafroes

Apr 23, 2017
Broad-based budding = Blastomyces dermatitidis

Narrow-based budding = Cryptococcus neoformans

-------

As far as I'm aware, per imaging, you'll see the budding occur along what appears to be the whole diameter for broad-based, so the widest part of the budding complex is at the axis of cytokinesis.

Don't worry about the imaging for narrow-based. Know that narrow-based budding = Cryptococcus just in case a vignette mentions it, but if they show you an image, it will be a white circular prominent polysaccharidic capsule in surrounding India ink stain, or they'll show you red mucicarmine staining. But also be aware of latex agglutination for Crypto.

Don't forget that Paracoccidioides brasiliensis is also a narrow-based budding yeast. The difference is that, in this case, there are many buddings in the same cell, i.e., it is a multiple narrow-based budding yeast, unlike Cryptococcus neoformans and Blastomyces dermatitis, which may have only a single budding daughter cell, if any.

Don't forget that Paracoccidioides brasiliensis is also a narrow-based budding yeast. The difference is that, in this case, there are many buddings in the same cell, i.e., it is a multiple narrow-based budding yeast, unlike Cryptococcus neoformans and Blastomyces dermatitis, which may have only a single budding daughter cell, if any.
Cheers. Will be sure to remind myself of that 4.5 yrs ago.

Reactions: 1 users
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.