broke up with gf :( / MCAT sadness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zephyrus

The Yellow Dart
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Man, I feel like my whole life is in limbo.

Future is all but uncertain.
Dumped.
Exams in mere hours and I can't think straight.

Study the MCAT as much as you possibly can when you have the chance, because your life can change in the blink of an eye (or a misbubble). Life as you have come to understand it turned on its head.

I guess it could be worse. I barely have enough money to get through the semester if I live on Boston Baked Beans ($.25 for 200 calories) and Burger King. I'm pretty sure I'll get a 4.0 this semester, and I have a roof over my head.

Who are those people who can extract a day's worth of calm or happiness from a few moments of respite. All I feel is a constant struggle, competition imposed upon me by my peers, heartache.

Give me my goddamned scores and let me move on with my life, you heartless bastards. :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes; things could be worse. Try giving up on the dream of medical school for over a decade (long story) and then decide you made a huge mistake, and come back for more MCAT punishment! :)

BTW; big test in 1 hour 4 mins :)

Zephyrus said:

Dumped.

Study the MCAT as much as you possibly can when you have the chance, because your life can change in the blink of an eye (or a misbubble). Life as you have come to understand it turned on its head.

I guess it could be worse. I barely have enough money to get through the semester if I live on Boston Baked Beans ($.25 for 200 calories) and Burger King. I'm pretty sure I'll get a 4.0 this semester, and I have a roof over my head.

Who are those people who can extract a day's worth of calm or happiness from a few moments of respite. All I feel is a constant struggle, competition imposed upon me by my peers, heartache.

Give me my goddamned scores and let me move on with my life, you heartless bastards. :mad:

Good luck to you both on the exam!

Try to find/keep your balance. As you said, life is uncertain, so find something positive each day. If you don't, the constant barrage of tests, interviews, essays, etc. will make you miserable (e.g. be glad for your health, as many patients you will see will make you realize how fortunate you really are).

Take one day at a time, and "...remember no matter where you go, there you are."

Wook

life's not easy guys. but where there's friendship and love, anyone can be happy

Members don't see this ad :)
Zephyrus said:

Dumped.

aww i feel for you zephyrus!! breaking up is hard to do, but they happen for a reason, plus you seem like a really nice smart person- If I wasnt engaged Id go out with you
:love:

Remember the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine helps her b/f pass the boards by not having sex w/ him...

The dream of becoming a doctor is so that you can immediately dump the person you are with and find someone better.

Words of wisdom for times like this...

Zephyrus said:

Dumped.

Hey Z,

I've been reading your posts for some time now, and I can't understand why you're so worried about the MCAT. Based on your practice scores (and your rather eloquent/erudite personality) you are going to smoke the MCAT. Also, I'm sure you'll be able to find another (a perhaps better?) gf...

BTW, your posts rock..

RB

I'm sorry to hear what's happening. Last year both in April and in August, there was at least one person with a similar story to yours. The one in April, who had a girlfriend dump him, was dating a med student of all things.

Hope things work out. On the upside, I have no doubt you did fine on the MCAT.

Awww, I'm really sorry to hear that Zephyrus. She obviously didn't realize what a catch she had. Her loss.

And you're going to do awesome on the test. It so hard not to worry, though.

Breaking up sucks, and although it might not seem like it now, it will make you a stronger person. Easy for me to say, right? I had a hard breakup long ago and thought it was the end, but in retrospect it was the BEST thing that could have happened to me. AbsoLUTEly the best. Take some time to yourself, take care of yourself, take some mental health days, and try not to make any big decisions in the next couple of months. People always make the worst and biggest decisions when they're under emotional duress. And good luck to you. :luck:

Keep your chin up the best you can! :) Just remember that although this breakup is a HUGE bummer right now (I've been through a bad breakup or two, I feel for you!) you will want to do well on this test for your own future.
You can do it! And baked beans are delicious! :)

Hey Zephyrus.
Hope things get better for you (I am sure they will just give it time). We all have had to make sacrifices and give up things that we desired to be pre-meds. Keep your chin up and think of the poor children of Darfur right now. They have it much worse than you and me.

That is really sad. I know how a rough breakup can throw you off your studying.
As much as it hurts right now, try to look at this as opening the door to find the *right* woman later on down the road. Somewhere out there is a good woman who isn't going to leave when you're in the midst of prepping for a big exam, and she'll be very glad that you didn't end up settling for this one who did. Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
It makes me sad to see that every semester at least one of the posters here get dumped because of the MCAT. Why can't people be more supportive of their significant other's goals??? Seriously.

ilovehedgehogs said:
aww i feel for you zephyrus!! breaking up is hard to do, but they happen for a reason, plus you seem like a really nice smart person- If I wasnt engaged Id go out with you
:love:

Id go out with you too cause of your sexy mcat practice scores, if i didnt have a gf and if i wasnt straight :love:

Honestly it may have been for the better. if she cant stick by your side through mcat, no way would she be hanging around during med school.

Sounds like you are burnt out though.. take a day, a week, a month, even better a quarter off! or you can think about the top med schools which you are probably going to get into!! pretty dumb on her part to dump a future doctor :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
It makes me sad to see that every semester at least one of the posters here get dumped because of the MCAT. Why can't people be more supportive of their significant other's goals??? Seriously.
For those of you who are trads (normal college age), unfortunately the adolescent angst is part of the territory. The good news is that things DO get better as you get older. You don't stop being hurt by failed relationships, but you DO get more adept at coping with heartbreak and loss. Most of us even eventually figure out that the world doesn't revolve around us, but some of us take longer than others to come to this realization. My advice to all of you teen nerds is to go to your ten year HS reunion. You'll be amazed at how many of the uncool kids have become very cool adults, and how many of the formerly cool kids have become total losers. :p

Z-man, you're cool with us. I for one am counting on your help this summer with the subforum. Don't let your SDN groupies down, dude.

QofQuimica said:
For those of you who are trads (normal college age), unfortunately the adolescent angst is part of the territory. The good news is that things DO get better as you get older. You don't stop being hurt by failed relationships, but you DO get more adept at coping with heartbreak and loss. Most of us even eventually figure out that the world doesn't revolve around us, but some of us take longer than others to come to this realization. My advice to all of you teen nerds is to go to your ten year HS reunion. You'll be amazed at how many of the uncool kids have become very cool adults, and how many of the formerly cool kids have become total losers. :p

Z-man, you're cool with us. I for one am counting on your help this summer with the subforum. Don't let your SDN groupies down, dude.

good post. :)

Zephyrus said:

Dumped.

i feel for you, man I really do. But I'll te;ll you breaking up with a gf is not as bad as her dying. Just as I was to walk into my first final of freshman year I get a phone call saying my fiance collapsed and is on life support...try talkking a final after that.

All the best...

I'm single :oops:

I'll stick with you through your USMLEs and I'll bake you fudge brownies for your late night studying. :love:

Hey Zephyrus, if it's any consolation to you, be glad that you didn't get dumped right before the MCAT. When my boyfriend dumped me in March (also because I wasn't spending much time with him), I kept telling myself that it could have been worse. Imagine getting dumped the week of the MCAT. Putting it bluntly, that would suck horribly. Use the studying for the MCAT as a channel for your sadness. If it worked for me (I'm a basket case when it comes to things like these), it will work for you.

Best of luck

BlackBantie said:
Hey Zephyrus, if it's any consolation to you, be glad that you didn't get dumped right before the MCAT. When my boyfriend dumped me in March (also because I wasn't spending much time with him), I kept telling myself that it could have been worse. Imagine getting dumped the week of the MCAT. Putting it bluntly, that would suck horribly. Use the studying for the MCAT as a channel for your sadness. If it worked for me (I'm a basket case when it comes to things like these), it will work for you.

Best of luck

Hey, that really sucks. Didn't he know you were going to take the MCAT soon? :(

:oops:
Teerawit said:
Hey, that really sucks. Didn't he know you were going to take the MCAT soon? :(

To everyone:

I really appreciate all your kind words and your non-judgmental offers of advice and support, despite the fact that I rattled off what amounted to a semi-incoherent whine fest.

I think I have my life back in order now. No girls or anything (it's weird -- i'm almost categorically distrustful of female affection now) ... but I got through the semester with A's and enjoyed a nice few nights off with my friends. Can't argue with that, no matter how fervent the gnawing in your soul :oops:

Z

when i broke up w/ a bf, i didn't really take it too seriously. well, it's his loss after all. ;)

EDIT: i don't like the idea of crying over a man. what a waste of time..jeez..i have enough things to do in school already...studying for freaking MCAT and stupid finals. plus, ecs. :rolleyes:
i think i'm strong enough to live w/out a man in my life..well, at least, i think.

I sort of going in through the same sistuation too...I guess what I did was listen to lots of music and try to study as hard as I can. I know it's really hard to concentrate but you must focus. What really helps me too is to write poetry or something to get it off your chest. I hope you the best of luck.

mis

I sort of going through the same sistuation too...I guess what I did was listen to lots of music and try to study as hard as I can. I know it's really hard to concentrate but you must focus. What really helps me too is to write poetry or something to get it off your chest. I hope you the best of luck.

mis

That's a rough situation. Whenever something turns sour in my life, I always turn to God for help and support. I find that He is able to help me with my problems like no person ever could. I'd recommend just praying to God about your problem, asking for His help and seeking the peace that only He can give. The Bible can also be incredibly helpful and encouraging in times of distress. Here's a particularly good verse for this situation I think:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

I can pray for you too, if you want. May God richly bless you with a sense of peace during this time.

shoyt said:
That's a rough situation. Whenever something turns sour in my life, I always turn to God for help and support. I find that He is able to help me with my problems like no person ever could. I'd recommend just praying to God about your problem, asking for His help and seeking the peace that only He can give. The Bible can also be incredibly helpful and encouraging in times of distress. Here's a particularly good verse for this situation I think:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:6-7)

I can pray for you too, if you want. May God richly bless you with a sense of peace during this time.

:)

e_phn said:
when i broke up w/ a bf, i didn't really take it too seriously. well, it's his loss after all. ;)

EDIT: i don't like the idea of crying over a man. what a waste of time..jeez..i have enough things to do in school already...studying for freaking MCAT and stupid finals. plus, ecs. :rolleyes:
i think i'm strong enough to live w/out a man in my life..well, at least, i think.

E_phn, I have a comment to what you said but first I wanna say it's not a direct attack at you, just something you said.
Yes, the aforemention "bf" suffered a loss because you're great, so true: "his loss." BUT..."what a waste of time" doesn't quite work for me. When you love someone, it's hard, no matter what age you are, or even if YOU are the one to break it off because you know it's the best thing. When I was a senior in college I ended my engagement with my then fiance because I knew in my heart it wasn't right, though I did love him. It was right before finals and it sucked cause I cried about it, and this was NOT a "waste of time." I took my finals though and sucked it up because I'm strong, and everything turned out fine, but crying (or some other form of being upset), no matter how old you are, is a part of breaking up. It's human nature. Anytime I end something with someone where I don't "really take it too seriously," it means I never really cared in the first place. Z, the OP, obviously really cared for this girl. OF COURSE he was upset, and it's ok!!

And now to Z: glad to hear you're feeling better about it, and glad you're taking a break to be with yourself and get to know (re-know) how amazing you really are. Cheers to the lucky woman (a good one!) who will capture your heart!