Bros Deck Organization Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an m-2 and have never really used anki. I just downloaded the brosephalon deck, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to organize these decks.

I ideally would want to see 75-100 new cards per day from the systems I've already done. The decks are organized into decks and then subdecks by system. When I click one of the main decks (i.e. first aid or "pathomaology," and switch it to 75 new cards per day, it says I have 75 cards to learn from that deck; however, if I click within the subdeck of the main deck, each system has 75 cards to be learned. When I click the main decks (i.e. pathoma-ology), it gives me 75 cards from the fist alhabetical subdeck, i.e. cardiovascular.

Is there any way I can get 75 news cards total per day, randomly dispersed through the systems?

Members don't see this ad.

I just manually combined all the content I covered into one deck. I can't remember how he originally had it broken down because I've destroyed his original organization but it was fairly straightforward. Its not perfect in regards to selecting stuff you have actually covered but its probably better than going through all the cards individually. If you pull up the Browse part its pretty easy to do.

I will say, 75-100 new cards a day of review content is a crap load. Especially since they are not cards you made. You will end up doing 2+ hours a day of M1 stuff. Not that efficient during M2 imo. I was doing like 20-40 a day during summer with 100 review. I do like 5 now with 25 or so review cards. Hard enough to get through it while keeping up with coursework.

My new technique that I'm doing with my M2 coursework (and wish I did in M1) is anything in lecture I want to make a flashcard of, I will search in his deck and move the relevant cards to my current test deck. That way I am studying for coursework and getting through his cards which is my more long term goal. Plus many of his cards with pictures are better than anything I would make myself. After a test, I move those cards to a current course deck with smaller numbers, and then after a course I will move them into my long term review deck. By the end I will basically just have everything in one deck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That person has a good option but my problem with that and things like Firecracker is that you are very frequently seeing cards that you haven't learned yet. Even if its in your test or course block, if you are seeing something on Monday that you won't learn till Friday its pretty low yield imo and you end up just memorizing the card. Best case scenario you end up looking up info on the card but that ends up being really time consuming. I like flash cards as a way to reinforce and hammer down concepts/details that I've already learned and seen before. Even with supplementary sources. I would watch a Sketchy video and then go search for all relevant flashcards on what I just watched. That way when I do the cards I am reinforcing the Sketchy stuff I watched. If its a complete WTF then I go back and review the Sketchy slide. I'm sure it sounds time consuming to manually search for all the cards but its really not, you just type a few key words in the browse area and move cards around. Also, he has alot of repeats/different ways of asking the same question in there. Sometimes there is like 5 cards on the exact same info. While I'm not griping about this in regards to long term retention, it can be very time consuming when you are worrying about tests and current content. I usually put 2 repeats that ask the same info in a different way in my test deck, and then transfer the others to a long term review deck. Lastly, I feel like manually choosing which cards to transfer gives you some of the benefit that making your own cards does. Its not quite as good but it makes you think about the card a little bit, which you can lose when you are just going through a totally premade deck. Its a nice balance between the time consuming nature of making them all your own and not making any cards.

That person has a good option but my problem with that and things like Firecracker is that you are very frequently seeing cards that you haven't learned yet. Even if its in your test or course block, if you are seeing something on Monday that you won't learn till Friday its pretty low yield imo and you end up just memorizing the card. Best case scenario you end up looking up info on the card but that ends up being really time consuming. I like flash cards as a way to reinforce and hammer down concepts/details that I've already learned and seen before. Even with supplementary sources. I would watch a Sketchy video and then go search for all relevant flashcards on what I just watched. That way when I do the cards I am reinforcing the Sketchy stuff I watched. If its a complete WTF then I go back and review the Sketchy slide. I'm sure it sounds time consuming to manually search for all the cards but its really not, you just type a few key words in the browse area and move cards around. Also, he has alot of repeats/different ways of asking the same question in there. Sometimes there is like 5 cards on the exact same info. While I'm not griping about this in regards to long term retention, it can be very time consuming when you are worrying about tests and current content. I usually put 2 repeats that ask the same info in a different way in my test deck, and then transfer the others to a long term review deck. Lastly, I feel like manually choosing which cards to transfer gives you some of the benefit that making your own cards does. Its not quite as good but it makes you think about the card a little bit, which you can lose when you are just going through a totally premade deck. Its a nice balance between the time consuming nature of making them all your own and not making any cards.

I totally agree. I end up combing through the relevant organ block deck every weekend to find cards that I learned the previous week and add them to my "study deck." Though a bit time-consuming, it gives the added benefit of another read through each of the cards.

I totally agree. I end up combing through the relevant organ block deck every weekend to find cards that I learned the previous week and add them to my "study deck." Though a bit time-consuming, it gives the added benefit of another read through each of the cards.

Yea I try to do it while I watch a lecture on 2x speed or sometimes I'll finish a lecture and do it right afterwards. I don't know how you do a whole weekend at once, then aren't you dumping like 300 new cards on yourself at once? Also, would think it gives you less number of reviews during your test period since you are usually running a week back with your cards.

Yea I try to do it while I watch a lecture on 2x speed or sometimes I'll finish a lecture and do it right afterwards. I don't know how you do a whole weekend at once, then aren't you dumping like 300 new cards on yourself at once? Also, would think it gives you less number of reviews during your test period since you are usually running a week back with your cards.

It depends on how many topics we covered over the week. On higher volume weeks I'll add cards more than once. I don't get to see the last week's worth of cards as many times as I'd like before the exam, but in the grand scheme of things Bro's deck is more to help me not forget everything by the end of the year and less about helping me get a high score for each block exam.