Brothers Vying for same spot in USD med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfranz08

brownpow
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am writing because I am wondering about this current application cycle and my brother's chance of getting into school. I am 25 and was accepted through the early admittance program this year at Sanford School of medicine in South Dakota. My brother who is 31, a father of four, has a masters in Industrial engineering and has started two businesses is also applying this cycle. His numbers are roughly average at USD, but his ECs are far superior to the average traditional post undergrad applicant. My test scores are better than his, and my experience is much more relevant to med school. My dad is a family Doc, and talking to him, it sounds like it would be very unlikely for two siblings to get into the same med school class (the class is roughly 70 people, and every med school likes diversity yada yada yada).

USD is the only school he is still waiting to hear back from and the only one I've gotten into so far. Honestly, I would rather he got in this year as he's feeling the pressure much more than I am. I'm also considering deferring for a year and wouldn't want to mess him up once he beefs up his app and applies next year. So I was wondering if anyone has heard of two siblings getting into the same med school? Is my dad onto something, or would med schools, especially smaller ones, not want to give two seats of a class to members of the same family?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am writing because I am wondering about this current application cycle and my brother's chance of getting into school. I am 25 and was accepted through the early admittance program this year at Sanford School of medicine in South Dakota. My brother who is 31, a father of four, has a masters in Industrial engineering and has started two businesses is also applying this cycle. His numbers are roughly average at USD, but his ECs are far superior to the average traditional post undergrad applicant. My test scores are better than his, and my experience is much more relevant to med school. My dad is a family Doc, and talking to him, it sounds like it would be very unlikely for two siblings to get into the same med school class (the class is roughly 70 people, and every med school likes diversity yada yada yada).

USD is the only school he is still waiting to hear back from and the only one I've gotten into so far. Honestly, I would rather he got in this year as he's feeling the pressure much more than I am. I'm also considering deferring for a year and wouldn't want to mess him up once he beefs up his app and applies next year. So I was wondering if anyone has heard of two siblings getting into the same med school? Is my dad onto something, or would med schools, especially smaller ones, not want to give two seats of a class to members of the same family?

I got into the medical school that my brother is currently attending. I would be a first year there if I choose to attend that school in the fall, and he would be a fourth year. It's a different situation than yours, but thought it might be worth sharing to calm your nerves a bit. Good luck to you and your brother.

I got into the medical school that my brother is currently attending. I would be a first year there if I choose to attend that school in the fall, and he would be a fourth year. It's a different situation than yours, but thought it might be worth sharing to calm your nerves a bit. Good luck to you and your brother.

Curiously, were you interviewed by a classmate of your brother?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got into a medical school that my brother is attending. I am one year behind him, so he will be a second year while I'm a first year. It is also an out of state. I think it actually helped me that he was attending.

Reactions: 1 user
My school has had classes with siblings a number of times, including identical twins!

Hello all,

Reactions: 1 users
My class has three sets of siblings, including a pair of twins. Also have a husband and wife who were married prior to applying. Med schools take the best applicants regardless of if they already have 36 siblings in the class or not.

My school's class size isn't much larger than USD and my wife got into the same class as her younger sister.

You and your brother both bring different experinces into med school. If you are both qualified applicants with a good fit for the school it's quite possible that the school would take both of you.

Reactions: 1 user
You're both going for TWO spots, not ONE spot in the class.

Also, why would you apply this year knowing you're going to defer anyway?

My class had a pair of siblings. There were also a couple of residents from the same family at the hospital.

Thanks for the replies everyone,that's encouraging to hear, he should hear back this week. And Bones 2020, I am considering deferring now, months after I applied.

To add on, I've always wondered this:

Do OOS public schools actively try to avoid using their few OOS spots to take applicants from the same OOS school? This is basically the exact same question except when people are unrelated.

Assume two bio majors from Public School X, with similar GPAs and MCATs. I feel like since many schools use the OOS spots to add diversity to the class they might be hesitant to take two similar applicants compared to an equally qualified person from another state. Thoughts?