Brown (Alpert) vs NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DuckFook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I've got a dilemma. I'm in at both Brown U Alpert Med School and NYU. There are perks and drawbacks to both schools, as I see it. Here's what Ive got so far, but I'd love for you guys to add to the lists or give some input...

NYU
+New York City!!!
+Music/Food/Social Life
+iTunes U Lectures
+New Curriculum
+bellevue
-cost of living
-larger class size

Brown (Alpert)
+Providence
+Food/Bars
+smaller class size (94)
+match list
+dean letter for residency
+new med school building Aug. 2011
+Ivy League (?)
-smaller city
-smaller hospitals

Members don't see this ad.

Thats basically a go with your gut dilemma

And if you can't figure out your gut feeling, see which is harder to press the withdraw button on the status page.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick NYU. I think NYC would be more interesting than Providence and be worth the extra cost of living. Plus there's Bellevue.

I'd also have a feeling that a lot of Brown kids would be cliquey after all being in the BA/MD program for the last 4 years.

I would pick NYU. I think NYC would be more interesting than Providence and be worth the extra cost of living. Plus there's Bellevue.

I'd also have a feeling that a lot of Brown kids would be cliquey after all being in the BA/MD program for the last 4 years.

This. After interviewing at some schools where the medical school took a lot of their undergrads, I felt a sense of cliquey-ness and you'll be the odd one out.

Yes, cost of living is greater but you can easily save money the way that you hopefully did in undergrad. Don't eat out all the time, buy used textbooks, etc. Plus you're not living in Rubin!

Larger class size might not be a negative. More personalities and backgrounds to choose from to form a tight-knit group or study group. If one weekend you want to study, choose the latter...if you want to go to the bar/Times Square/Central Park, find the former.

what specialty are you interested in (if you know yet)?

I'm not sure, so I'm trying to find hospitals and curriculums that will provide me with a wealth of experience.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinions thus far. anyone else have any perspective on the matter?

another plus to brown is the scholarly concentration opportunity

(also i don't think brown is cliquey, the students in the combined BA/MD program usually don't hang out together or even know each other before starting med school - there are like 50 of them spread among thousands of undergrads)

+nyu pays partially for you to travel abroad to study or do community service between the summer of your first and second year

also nyu has a lot of traditional applicants compared to other schools, this could be good or bad

Status
Not open for further replies.