Brown, Emory or Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intnlhealther

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having trouble deciding between these three schools for an MPH. I was accepted to the Global Health programs at Emory and the History and Ethics of Public Health program at Columbia and the general MPH at Brown (which doesn't admit into specific tracks)

I am interested in global health and also how historical perspectives can be used to understand public health situations. I am also focused geographically on Africa.

I am drawn to Brown because its small size and intellectual community (it seems like the school is well integrated into the larger university) and ability to take courses at other neighboring schools. I also am a fan of the small class size and ability to connect with professors. However, Columbia and Emory are much larger and must offer more alumni opportunities. Is the level of instruction going to be very different in these schools?

A question about Columbia--is it possible to switch tracks once you are there. I would prefer to be in the Global Health track (H&E was my 2nd choice). It may not be worth the trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let you know that the GH program at Emory is great but the GH core classes are quite large. If you are not a large class person it may not be the program for you. That said, I know that many GH students have relationships with faculty as they are very approachable and collaborate with students on a number of projects.

Which is a better MPH program - Columbia for Sociomedical Sciences or Emory for Behavioral Science/Health Education?

I'm graduating with a BA in psychology in May, and I plan to go to med school after my MPH.

Columbia gave me a merit scholarship for $10K each year but money isn't an issue. I'm leaning towards Emory right now because of CDC opportunities and better weather/location... but Columbia definitely has the Ivy advantage.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!