Brown Med Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old_boy

Contrarian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start this thread - was accepted last week and good chance I'll attend.

Question to start things off: Why attend Brown over other, higher ranked schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Why attend Brown over other, higher ranked schools?

Ok, I'll start this off.
Positives:

1) I see small class size as a plus: more access to faculty, particularly when it comes to shadowing and research. The impression that I got was that faculty are very eager to have you work with them. This is not my impression of certain higher-ranked programs I've visited, where you really need to formally apply to do research with professors as part of a program.
2) Great match list
3) Fantastic hospitals
4) Only show in town - I think this makes for a more laid back environment
5) High quality of life living in Providence (close to ocean, Boston, relatively cheap)
6) Part of Brown U. community

Negatives:

1) Does not have "reputation" of some other top programs, so you'll have to do lots of interesting things to differentiate yourself
2) Hard (impossible?) to do elective rotations your third year
3) Overall, Step 1 scores are low, although this may change with new curriculum
...which brings us to...
4) New curriculum and overall a lot of change going on. Inevitably, this will make us guinea pigs.

Positives:

1. About 115k avg 4 year Debt, pretty good compared to other schools
2. 100Mil just given to them by Warren Alpert so now called the Warren Alpert School of Medicine
3. New Buildings
4. Supportive Faculty, they listen to students and really care what they say
5. Most students are happy to be there..noncompetitive atmosphere
6. H/P/F System
7. Match List is the same or better than some of the other top schools
8. Awesome variety of food..Spikes, Italian cafes, Indian, Middle Eastern foods, ect. all located literally within 3 minute walking distances from the school.
9. Fairly Small Class for better learning
10. LOADS of research opportunity because its the only medical school in the state
11. Diverse Class from all sorts of backgrounds

Negatives:

1. Cold Weather- like anywhere in the northeast
2. Does not have a seperate campus for thier medical school, like others such as tufts do. (Not really that big of a deal)
3. Board Scores hover at about average, but the new medical cirriculum should be boosting it up along with them accepting more and more towards the standard route to try to make it 50/50 between PLME
4. PLME students make up about 40 out of the 80 or so students
5. Reputation is respected but not like yale, harvard, upenn, ect. yet

Why is it hard to do an away elective? I have not heard of that problem yet? I thought Brown encouraged students to venture out during thier electives?

Members don't see this ad :)
Positives:
-Small class size
-Close affiliation w/ undergrad means more resources
-Good match list (perhaps due to schools personal interest in its students
-Great research opportunities
-Nicer students than Harvard (I'm totally going to be flamed for that)

Negatives:
-Waitlisted me (hopefully they will rectify this problem soon ;)

Ok, I'll start this off.
Positives:

1) I see small class size as a plus: more access to faculty, particularly when it comes to shadowing and research. The impression that I got was that faculty are very eager to have you work with them. This is not my impression of certain higher-ranked programs I've visited, where you really need to formally apply to do research with professors as part of a program.
2) Great match list
3) Fantastic hospitals
4) Only show in town - I think this makes for a more laid back environment
5) High quality of life living in Providence (close to ocean, Boston, relatively cheap)
6) Part of Brown U. community

Negatives:

1) Does not have "reputation" of some other top programs, so you'll have to do lots of interesting things to differentiate yourself
2) Hard (impossible?) to do elective rotations your third year
3) Overall, Step 1 scores are low, although this may change with new curriculum
...which brings us to...
4) New curriculum and overall a lot of change going on. Inevitably, this will make us guinea pigs.

Does the new curriculum cover more material or does it teach it in a different way? Did the new curriculum start with the class of 2010 or with 2011?

The new cirriculum started this year I believe... Also, the new cirriculum is integrated instead of having different classes. Organ-system based vs having individual classes.

Hi, current 3rd year at Brown here. Feel free to ask questions.

pls accept me:

New curriculum started with class of 2010, but still being tweaked from what I understand. Class of 2011 will be first time that there's only be P/F for first semester of first year. H/P/F for rest of 1st year and second year.

Question to Brown429 and M. furfur:

My understanding was that in the third year, you're basically locked into doing the required clerkships and can't do electives until 4th year. Is this true? I understand that this is the traditional way of doing things, but some schools now let students have more flexibility in their 3rd year (eg, Penn).

I am will be in the class of 2012, I was under the impression that one could do an elective away towards the very end of thier 3rd year (with permission perhaps), but I am not sure.

So the class of 2011 has P/F for only the first semester? Why not just have it P/F the rest of 1.5 years? I am guessing because students need to adapt to studying and making the transition.

Currently, you can do electives at any time. My understanding is that they plan to move to a system where core clerkships are required to be completed earlier (which frankly makes sense--since all medical schools assign clerkships by lottery, it will assure that you will get to complete your cores within your third year). That being said, the beginning of the third year is being moved to an earlier starting date, giving you more overall clinical time.

Taking ample electives--particularly clinical electives--won't be a problem at Brown because there is a very high capacity in the hospitals for students on electives...literally thousands of faculty members for a few hundred med students.

Positives:
-Small class size
-Close affiliation w/ undergrad means more resources
-Good match list (perhaps due to schools personal interest in its students
-Great research opportunities
-Nicer students than Harvard (I'm totally going to be flamed for that)

Negatives:
-Waitlisted me (hopefully they will rectify this problem soon ;)
I got waitlisted too...slightly discouraged, and Im not sure what my chances are of acceptance. What about you melissainsd?

I got waitlisted too...slightly discouraged, and Im not sure what my chances are of acceptance. What about you melissainsd?

I'm eternally bummed. I have heard form a few people that may withdraw though...so hope may loom ahead. Good luck to you. :luck:

Just thought I'd post a shout out. :) Currently working on making that big decision, although lately I've been leaning much more towards Brown med. So :thumbup: !

Members don't see this ad :)
hey foofish - are you thinking of going to 2nd look?

Sending back the shoutout! Congrats old-boy, foofish, and moomix906 on the acceptances, and good luck melissainsd and transmetropol. I found out about a week ago that I got accepted and am ecstatic. I was really impressed with just about every aspect of brown on my interview day, especially how nice the admissions office staff were. I will def be going to the second look, so I hope to see you guys there.

Yeah, I'm planning on going to second look. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I've got my cousin's wedding (which I already committed to) the same weekend as the second look, so I won't be able to make it. I recently got accepted also to Iowa, which was a huge surprise, so being from the Midwest I've got a really tough choice ahead of me between Brown and Iowa. I'm leaning Brown right now, but I'm sure I'll be waffling a lot over the course of the next month or so.

whats up all. i was accepted a few days ago. im basically trying to decide between brown and georgetown. i know brown is a much better school with a brighter future but i feel like dc would be a lot more fun than providence haha. plus a bunch of my buddies will be in dc. i know thats a terrible reason to chose a school. im pretty sure il end up at brown tho. just wanted to say hi. someone should start a facebook group.

Unfortunately, I've got my cousin's wedding (which I already committed to) the same weekend as the second look, so I won't be able to make it. I recently got accepted also to Iowa, which was a huge surprise, so being from the Midwest I've got a really tough choice ahead of me between Brown and Iowa. I'm leaning Brown right now, but I'm sure I'll be waffling a lot over the course of the next month or so.

Yeah, I'm also lucky enough to have a few choices, but I'm also currently leaning toward Brown. I love the attitude of the school, the location's a plus for me, the clinical experience is supposed to be fantastic, and niiice match list...I am going to second look, so if there's anything super spectacular (or scary) I'll let you know. :)

I actually thought the second look was a couple days later, so I will be able to come now (albeit will have to leave early on that Friday). This should help in my decision process.

Can anyone tell me what the average weekly schedule looks like for the first two years at Brown? Are you in class basically all day, or is there flexible time?

I thought for first year it was 9-12 every morning for integrated medical sciences, then twice a week or something like that the on doctoring course, leaving 3 afternoons a week?

Can anyone tell me what the average weekly schedule looks like for the first two years at Brown? Are you in class basically all day, or is there flexible time?

Hey, I'm a current first year. The schedule at Brown is a bit weird, because it changes every week. So some weeks we have lots of free time, and others less so. In general though I'd say it really hasn't been bad, and I've had no trouble maintaining a life outside of class.

All said, I like Brown a lot and have no regrets about having come here. (Of course, you only get to go to one med school, so I have nothing to compare it to). I'd say that in general, people are pretty happy here.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask away.

Hey all! Currently a senior at the University of Miami and have been accepted both into Brown and at UM. Unfortunately cant make it to Second Look this week but I hope those of you that go will def post what your impressions are! Can a 3rd or 4th year talk about hospital experience - do u like it? is there a large diversity of patients? one of miami's biggest strengths is our 3rd and 4th yr so if i could get some first hand comments, that would be great!

Hey all! Currently a senior at the University of Miami and have been accepted both into Brown and at UM. Unfortunately cant make it to Second Look this week but I hope those of you that go will def post what your impressions are! Can a 3rd or 4th year talk about hospital experience - do u like it? is there a large diversity of patients? one of miami's biggest strengths is our 3rd and 4th yr so if i could get some first hand comments, that would be great!

I don't know how many 3rd/4th years from Brown are active on this board, so I'll take a quick stab at your questions:

1. Rhode Island Hospital is the level 1 trauma center for southeastern New England (all of Rhode Island, southern mass, and southeastern Conn), and is the major research/teaching hospital for that area as well. So yes, I believe the patient population is pretty diverse, both in terms of pathology and ethnic/socioeconomic/racial/etc diversity.

2. The 3rd and 4th years I know all seem to think pretty highly of their clinical training. I can't comment on it beyond that, since I'm not there yet. In general, Brown's clinical training has a great rep.

I would say that one of the things that attracted me here is the fact that the clinical training is so strong, coupled with the fact that as the only (and releatively very small) med school in the state, it's very easy here to get one on one time w/ faculty, find mentors for your desired field, get involved in research, etc. I am doing paid research this coming summer in a project I'm really interested in, with a faculty member I really like. It took me about half an hour to set the whole thing up. I think it's on those sorts of things that Brown really shines.

Of course spending four years near the beach doesn't sound so bad either, so you have a pretty cool choice to make. Good luck w/ your decision.

hey pemulis,
can you by any chance give a more detailed version of the first/2nd year schedule? All the website says is there is integrated medical sciences, and on doctoring courses, without giving any information on when biochem, or immunology, or anatomy or whatever is taught. Also, I heard that they are now letting students arrange their core rotations anytime throughout the 3rd and 4th years - is that true, or do you have to complete all the required rotations during the 3rd year with no electives?

hey pemulis,
can you by any chance give a more detailed version of the first/2nd year schedule? All the website says is there is integrated medical sciences, and on doctoring courses, without giving any information on when biochem, or immunology, or anatomy or whatever is taught. Also, I heard that they are now letting students arrange their core rotations anytime throughout the 3rd and 4th years - is that true, or do you have to complete all the required rotations during the 3rd year with no electives?

So far as I know, you've always been able to do clinical rotations here in pretty much any order you want. I don't know all the details, or if that's going to change at all in the coming years, but at least up until this point, people have been able to take pretty much whatever they want, so long as they get their cores in before graduation. I know one guy who did rads as his very first clinical rotation.

As for the pre-clinical stuff, it's possible that next year's schedule will be different, since the whole curriculum has been undergoing a period of change. The administration has been requesting a lot of feedback from us through this year, and I imagine some of that may be reflected in changes to next year's schedule. So take this with a grain of salt, but here's how our schedule has worked out this year:

Fall:
We started w/ anatomy, histology, and scientific foundations of medicine (these are all grouped together under the "Integrated medical sciences" banner, as are all the science courses here). Anatomy and histology went through early November, while sci foundations went the whole semester. From November until the end of the semester, we did intro to Patholgy. So basically, at all times we had scientific foundations, plus either anatomy and histology, OR pathology.

However, it's a bit more complicated than that still. See, as I mentioned earlier, the schedule changes every week. The key point about the new curriculum is that it's totally integrated. So, you may have histology four days in a row, to cover topics that correlate to what you're learning in anatomy, for example, and then not have a histology lecture again for another two weeks. I know that sounds kind of complicated, but trust me that it actually worked out quite well. In general they worked the schedule out so that in any given week, you're not taking classes from more than two subjects. The material from each class overlaps with what you're learning in the other courses, and the tests are not cumulative, so it's not like when you walk into a histo lecture after not having had one for two weeks you're struggling to remember what the teacher was talking about last time. By the way, "scientific foundations of medicine" is itself a sort of umbrella term for biochem, genetics, immuno, and cell bio. But again, within this sub-course, things are organized pretty logically. So you may have a week of genetics lectures and then that's it--you're done w/ genetics and onto the next topic. I hope the above paragraph didn't confuse you. It's a bit tough to explain the whole system, but I again emphasize that even though it sounds strange I think it's worked really well for most people.

Doctoring is simpler. We have that two afternoons a week, for the entire year (although some weeks we get a day off, for example right before a test). That course too tends to integrate a bit with the science stuff. So the week you do chest dissection in anatomy, you'll do chest and lung exam in doctoring (and cardio/pulm stuff in histology). The week you do the abdomen in anatomy, you'll do the GI exam in doctoring (and metabolism stuff in biochem).

Second semester is a bit more straightforward:
Starting in January, we had three intensive weeks of neuroanatomy. Then we did a two month integrated neuro block--pathology, physiology, pharmacology, behavior, etc. of the nervous system.

Right now we're on an endocrine block, which is organized pretty much the same way.

Next month we're doing microbio and infectious diseases, and then we're off for the summer.

Next year we'll continue w/ the integrated block model, covering all the other systems (cards, pulm, renal, heme/onc, etc).

If you're coming to second look, hopefully they can clarify it a bit more for you then, but if you're still confused you can PM me.

anyone know the dress code for second look? or heard back from their host, for that matter?

anyone know the dress code for second look? or heard back from their host, for that matter?

I was wondering about the dress code, myself. I was assuming business casual for Friday, since there'll be faculty, etc. lurking about, but since Thursday night is a reception with students followed by "local hangouts" I was wondering if that'd be more casual...

I heard back from my host fairly quickly...I think Amy in admissions said to contact her if you're having trouble getting in touch with your host.

Second look day was awesome. I was very impressed by the students and faculty. I really enjoyed the talk at miriam from the ID docs. Also the grad center bar was a neat spot. Im going to Brown for sure. Anyone else enjoy second look and make a decision one way or the other?

hey imfunky, i had a great time too, im almost certain im going to Brown unless a waitlist throws everything whack

thursday...small reception, random blabbing, drinking later with the admissions staff :hardy:

friday...the dean talks about overall changes in the school, increasing class size to about 100 for now with plans for larger expansions in the future, plans for a new medical education building in a few years, of the 100 million 25 are going to financial aid, 10 million for curriculum study and overall or something like that

the curriculum dean talks about the new curriculum...apparently last year's group was the guinea pigs so we will be the first class on the finalized curriculum. They are planning to implement pbl by doing pbl sessions during mostly 2nd year in parallel with organ system lectures. They had some people talk about scholarly concentrations, with a list of like 10 options such as advocacy, women's health and global health. All the scholarly concentrations include an option for a summer project after 1st year and a scholarly project by 4th year...then some blabbing about the doctoring course

then we go to an anatomy lab and have some students talk to us about anatomy, then lunch with med students where everyone pretty much didn't say anything:laugh: but the med students talked about the free clinic, moms and other groups.

I didnt see the MRI or neuroscience lab - but it couldnt' have been that interesting. Went to miriam hospital, I didn't see the tour but I've toured a bazillion hospitals, whatever. I heard the lecture on meth which was really amazing. Then Dr. Carpenter (!) and some ID bigwigs :D came and talked to us about research, international, and shadowing opportunities.

My overall impressions were that Brown students were very cool, the school was tight knit and the administrations were bending over backwards to make us happy and help us do whatever we wanted to do, clubs/research/volunteer/funding to go abroad/whatever. The strengths were that Brown matchs way better than you'd expect, only school for Rhode Island so you pretty much can try to work with whoever you want as soon as first year, 100 million dollars in new money with all of it going toward students is awesome too. Seems like very low competition, although that partly seemed to be due to PLME kids who haven't had to fiercly compete for med school admission. From talking to students, the greatest weaknesses I saw was that Brown for a long time was focused on PLME's, and because they emphasized the 'liberal' aspect of the medical education, the advising was not good and you could easily fall off the narrow path to MGH. Also, because Brown didn't have regular admits, it had low national publicity and thus its image suffered. However, the new dean opened up the school to general admission, is trying to reduce the ratio of PLME's to regular admits, increase NIH funding and push research and global health opportunities on students. Providence was as expected, low key but they've got two whole foods and I'm going to need to avoid distrations for the next 4 years. Plenty of students had cars but carpooling, biking, and riding the bus seemed very feasible. I loved the campus and how the med school is right on campus, made me feel like it was part of a community and that compensated for a small medical school.

Overall, I'd say that Brown is defintely on the upswing and we'd be the class right on the cusp of that. It seems like the biggest thing is that the administration, while eager to help, don't 'groom' students to gun for top residencies so if you want it you have to make it happen yourself. Otherwise, looking at the match list, students are landing top spots, esp. in Peds, pysch, and surgery. Very few people seem to match Rad Onc, plastics, optho, or derm though, although you'd have to ask a med student if Brown students don't want those residencies or if they are having trouble matching into top spots for them. Everyone says that Brown's greatest strengths are the clinical years though, hands down, although this could change as they improve the pre clinical curriculum.

I defintely loved it, I think there are loads of things to take advantage of there since less than 400 med students vs. basically all the doctors in providence

any med students can comment?

I had a great time at Second Look, too! I was impressed by how articulate and passionate the current students were -- and it wasn't just a few that the administration had picked. New ones just kept appearing and each was as smart as the last.

I was excited about the scholarly concentrations -- they reminded me of Stanford's, but Brown's choice of concentrations is more interesting to me (aging, contemplative studies, etc.). I also appreciated the continued emphasis from docs and admins to 'be yourself'' and you'll find your place, even if 'your place' doesn't seem to exist right now. I talked to one doc at the RISD reception who had done a triple residency in adult psychiatry, child psychiatry, and pediatrics -- and now practices pediatric emergency med. He never wanted to practice psychiatry, but he wanted to be aware of the psychosocial aspects medicine in his later practice. As someone coming with a fairly nontraditional background, It's reassuring -- and inspiring! -- to find other people who are thinking about things in unique ways.

I'm still undecided and going to another Second Look next weekend, but after not liking Brown all that much at my interview, I came away from the weekend being very excited about it.

Hey, moomix, I see that you're waitlisted at Case. That's one of the schools I'm deciding between. What are your thoughts about it vs. Brown, should you get in?

hahaha, yeah...so case was defintely the interview where I insulted their curriculum while trying to make a joke....I'm from ohio, so I really have no desire to go back, and case wasn't standout to me on interview day...I withdrew from the waitlist some time ago, I personally would take Brown over Case in a heartbeat. I guess I can't offer you much insight, because I don't want to go back to Ohio(even cleveland), and I don't want to match into the midwest, and I'm interested in ID and global stuff, which I don't think are Case's strengths. So Case is bad for me on all counts.
On the subject of waitlists in general, I am waitlisted at what were originally my top choices, Penn and P & S, but more and more I find that I wouldn't necessarily prefer them to Brown...I dunno - what are you pros and cons on the Brown fence?

Oops, didn't see that you'd withdrawn from the wl at Case.

I don't have much in the way of cons for Brown after 2nd look. I wan't blown away by my interview at Brown (mostly didn't feel like I got a good sense of the school/students, since we spent most of our time at the Hope Club and only met 3 current students). My biggest concern had been the potential lack of diversity in viewpoints and experiences of the class, given the PLME situation (and virtually everyone on my interview day at Brown was white and from an Ivy League school...it just felt a little too-too WASPy or something). I also didn't have a good feel for the curriculum before 2nd look. After the weekend I feel much better about the school as a whole and think it would be a great fit for me.

Even so, I LOVE the Case curriculum -- I love its layout, the split between small groups and lectures, and the incredible amount of time for self-study. Also, I could do an MPH at Case for no additional cost. Cleveland, however, I could do without.

So...on the whole, I think I'm now leaning toward Brown, even though I'm kind of sad to lose the Case curriculum and flexibility in schedule. Brown is just much more of a full package deal for me.

UVM is also still on the table -- going to that closer look this weekend.

agreed. the schedule was def a plus for Case, esp. that whole actual pass/fail thing. Case was just mostly bland to me, although I went in with a strong bias against it.

On the subject of MPH, I'm also keen on doing one, and many MPH people at Brown have done theirs at Harvard, and highly recommend it (I asked about fin aid and apparently it is awarded by Harvard - not free...shoot), but it's def something I will do unless I go abroad for a year.

It's funny you bring up the whole waspy thing, because Brown was defintely the most 'fancy' of my interview days, which is ironic considering its uber left leaning rep. I actually met some really cool students while interviewing and interviewed with a really awesome student too, so I guess our experiences were different.

I am really into the whole concentrations, and preclinical electives option. I don't remember if Case had an bit that was similar to the 'on doctoring' course, my memory was that case had class every morning 9-12 and that was it, with 2 afternoons a week for anatomy lab. That seems pretty much equivalent to Brown. I don't care super much either way for pbl or lecture, seeing how Brown is so small anyway, so the only thing that concerned me was honors/pass/fail. But the sense I got was that PLME students are so lax after not competing for med school that there isnt any competition among the students...

On the subject of waitlists in general, I am waitlisted at what were originally my top choices, Penn and P & S, but more and more I find that I wouldn't necessarily prefer them to Brown...I dunno - what are you pros and cons on the Brown fence?

Funny you say that....I just withdrew from the Penn waitlist, myself, and decided on Brown. I think I'll be the happiest at Brown...not to mention less stressed and less poor. :) Brown is fantastic clinically and they seem to be getting it together preclinically (and I figure, wost case scenario I taught myself half of the MCAT...and it sounds like at Penn you end up doing that anyway). I think being the only med school in town is a real strength in terms of getting more deeply involved in projects and research (if that's your thing). I also just really liked the students, and the atmosphere/vibe, and that they really truly value our interests (including non-medical).

It's funny you bring up the whole waspy thing, because Brown was defintely the most 'fancy' of my interview days, which is ironic considering its uber left leaning rep. I actually met some really cool students while interviewing and interviewed with a really awesome student too, so I guess our experiences were different.

I specifically asked Barbara about the rather WASPy and very male demographic of our cohort at second look, and it seems that it's simply a result of balancing out the PLME crowd, which other MS1's describe as "extremely" diverse and 60% women. Brown standard admit might be the only route in which it helped to be male and/or white!

Man, who are you all? I can't figure out who any of you were IRL except foofish! I'm completely obvious if you talked to me at all, I think.

Anyway. That's interesting, map, and I'm not sure how I feel about 'balancing out' the diversity of the PLMEs -- It seems like most of the value in diversity is getting underrepresented people into medicine, in which case I wouldn't think there'd be a need to balance things out, even if some people are overrepresented in the class. Interesting that we all noticed/responded to the waspiness at one point or another. It troubled me a great deal on my interview day -- particularly since I was expecting Brown to be more diverse and progressive than other schools.

Congrats on making the big leap, foofish! I hope you're excited about it!

now I'm trying to see if I can figure people out...I dont think I talked to you though, reverend, cause I defintely have no idea how you would be obvious.

Regarding the waspy thing, I stayed with 4 guys who were all regular admit, 3 were white males - so technically 'waspy', but they were really not waspy at all, so although it seems a little weird I defintely am not at all concerned about anything along those lines. If anything, all the current students i would have assumed to be waspy surprised me by being really interesting and cool.

to be very honest, the group of waspy prospects at 2nd look ...I thought they looked like they're actually semi nerdy...
hope nobody here was part of that..:laugh:

Man, who are you all? I can't figure out who any of you were IRL except foofish! I'm completely obvious if you talked to me at all, I think.

Anyway. That's interesting, map, and I'm not sure how I feel about 'balancing out' the diversity of the PLMEs -- It seems like most of the value in diversity is getting underrepresented people into medicine, in which case I wouldn't think there'd be a need to balance things out, even if some people are overrepresented in the class. Interesting that we all noticed/responded to the waspiness at one point or another. It troubled me a great deal on my interview day -- particularly since I was expecting Brown to be more diverse and progressive than other schools.

Congrats on making the big leap, foofish! I hope you're excited about it!

What can I say, Reverend Doc, we're just too obvious. :) It does feel nice to have finally made a decision. How goes the Case/UVm/Brown dilemma?

On my interview day, Brown actually had a somewhat diverse mix compared to most other schools I interviewed at...but then again, I mostly interviewed in the Northeast and I'm sure that in general the Northeast schools have a less representative mix. On the bright side, Brown was one of the very few schools where I had a female interviewer...but yeah, "balancing out" does seem a little odd.

After thinking long and hard about the decision (those of you who were at second look know who I am), I've decided to go to Brown next year.

Congrats on your decision, Kardiac!

I may well be joining you all yet. Still going to UVM this weekend, but i'm just about ready to hit the withdraw button on Case. It's a hard step to take, though!!

And as a p.s. to my earlier posts re: diversity. I was just kind of thinking out loud. I don't mean to sound critical about Brown's process. Just interesting to note, I think.

i wish there was a way to meet the plmes...has anyone started the housing search?

I'm starting the housing search effective immediately.

hey i was gonna make a group on facebook since we dont have one yet. i think it would be better at getting people together and plus plme kids would probably start joining. i dont know whether it should be Brown Medical School Class of 2011 (like the 2010 class has) or The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University c/o 2011. haha kind of long. whatd you guys think

yeah, how about just brown medical school 2011? Facebook's search function is pretty sketch, i only found the 2010 group by searching brown 2010, it didnt come up under brown medical school

Congrats Kardiac amd imfunky!

Yeah, I've slowly started looking at housing, too....what a *relief* to finally have decided and be moving on to the next phase!

(And to everyone still deciding, you'll be there soon!) :D

Are any of you looking to find a place with another entering M1 student, or how are you looking to find roommates (unless you're getting a one-bedroom)?