BrowN Med school, Rhode Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HussainGQ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just went to their website, and they say that for the first time in 20 years, they are going to be accepting non-state residents. So do ppl think those seats for non-state residents will be extremely competitive??

Members don't see this ad.

HussainGQ said:
Just went to their website, and they say that for the first time in 20 years, they are going to be accepting non-state residents. So do ppl think those seats for non-state residents will be extremely competitive??

Supposedly they are only accepting people for 10 seats in the regular application cycle. There is thread going around about Brown.

Frankly, I just think Brown is over rated.

this is off topic, but is brown known for anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
hnbui said:

Yeah, what does BRown have going for it?

HussainGQ said:
So do ppl think those seats for non-state residents will be extremely competitive??

Yes

hnbui said:

Brown is known for having alot of little rich kids going there, atleast this is what I thought about the people I met from Brown.

I called their admissions office to see how many slots they had open for traditional students and they never called me back...someone said that 37% of the slots are non-PLME....within that 37% are 15 Brown-Darmouth slots, and slots for pre-admitted students from post-bacc programs at columbia and other post-bac students. Whatever is left over goes to us...if anyone has contacted their admissions office and found out the exact number let us know!

Chankovsky said:
anybody get secondaries already from Brown?

I got one a couple days ago via snailmail.

Brown will be filling 50% of the class from regular applicant pool according letter I got from them with secondary invite.

The Brown program is very odd. I can tell you that of the non-Brown undergrad acceptances, some are also via undergrad linkage programs through other Rhode Island colleges. Rhode Island has no state med school, so there exists some sort of agreement between Brown and other area schools. I did my undergrad at Providence College (also in Rhode Island) and I know that several (I believe 5) undergrads were accepted into Brown Med (I think this is a fixed number; e.g. about 5 for every year). Also, Brown takes several undergrad students from the University of Rhode Island, and I believe also Rhode Island College (although fewer). On a side note, if you really want to go to Brown Med, the Providence College route can't be beat. First, the financial aid at PC is incredible for top hs students. Second, you find out if you've been accepted into the Brown-PC linkage sometime near the beginning of junior year! That means that two years into your undergrad, you already know what med school you're going to (plus that school is Brown)! Of course, I think the program may only be open to Rhode Island residents, but it really can't be beat. Plus, the same person that goes to Brown for 36k/year and goes the PMLE route could probably go to PC for free and still end up at the same medschool. Also, not to hype my undergrad or anything, but its really a wonderful school, so RI residents should definitely consider the option! Other than that, Brown does take some people from the Brown-Dartmouth linkage (although this is a med school, not a post-bacc linkage) and from Bryn-Mawr (post-bacc) and from Columbia (post-bacc). However--and I can only speak about the Columbia linkage--Brown only wants URM's and people that have been out of college for a long time and worked in the healthcare field (e.g. older post baccs)--at least this is what my Columbia Post-Bacc advisor has told me.

Here's the deal:

Brown Med accepts state funding <unlike most private schools>... so in return it HAS to accept a couple students from the local colleges after their second year. So thats that.

As for how the system has worked traditionally, its just like any other combined program. It takes students that really want to focus on other interests during their undergrad years and then return to medicine for graduate school. However, because these students don't take the MCATs and their funding for research isn't as high as other schools... their med school has been ranked pretty low. So, as I've heard, they are now attempting to take students off AMCAS to fill spots left open by those students who choose to leave Brown and not attend the med program.

So I doubt they'll be taking anyone from in-state because they've already filled their quota for that... I think all their spots will be out of staters. Additionally, I'm assuming they'll be looking at candidates with really high numbers to help them boost their own rankings.

Fro an undergrad's perspective though... Brown was def one of the cooler Ivies (right up there with Columbia) because the students were so well rounded. Everyone was open, friendly, and willing to share. Couldn't have had a better undergrad experience. Personally, I know tons of the 8 year program kids and they are really cool and I bet they'll teach you a lot about things outside of medicine while you're there. If you'd like any more infor about Providence or the school PM me. But the school is definitely worth looking into.

~Shorty

PS The students do EXTREMELY well on match day.

shorty.. you went to brown ugrad? what year were you?