Brown PLME or Duke Pre-Med?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Toddr31, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Toddr31

Toddr31 Junior Member

Hi,

I'm trying to decide right now whether to enroll in Brown's PLME program or at Duke as a pre-med. The PLME program sounded great, although Brown's medical school doesn't seem to be that highly rated. I absolutely love Duke also, and their reputation in biology (my intended major) seems a lot stronger than Brown's. Is this true? Would it be stupid to throw away the chance to go to medical school without taking the MCAT? It seems like a lot of Brown med's residency matches are for internal medicine, which scares me because I'd like to specialize in either pediatric trauma or pediatric surgery. Would it benefit me more to go to Duke as an undergraduate and apply to top medical schools? Is it worth it? I live in VA, and even UVA med school ranked higher than Brown med (27 v 39). Thanks for the input!

Todd
    [email protected]

2. cmz

cmz Pathology Wannabe
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Toddr31:
    <strong>Hi,

I'm trying to decide right now whether to enroll in Brown's PLME program or at Duke as a pre-med. The PLME program sounded great, although Brown's medical school doesn't seem to be that highly rated. I absolutely love Duke also, and their reputation in biology (my intended major) seems a lot stronger than Brown's. Is this true? Would it be stupid to throw away the chance to go to medical school without taking the MCAT? It seems like a lot of Brown med's residency matches are for internal medicine, which scares me because I'd like to specialize in either pediatric trauma or pediatric surgery. Would it benefit me more to go to Duke as an undergraduate and apply to top medical schools? Is it worth it? I live in VA, and even UVA med school ranked higher than Brown med (27 v 39). Thanks for the input!

Todd
    [email protected]</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What's the big deal with rankings? You're assured a spot at a top 50 school. Nevermind the fact that you don't have to take the MCAT... but you're assured a spot at a medical school! Honestly, if you feel that you could do "better" than Brown, then I say go for it. There's a lot riding on that decision because you would definately have to put a lot more work in at Duke (which should be more rewarding) than Brown (I'm sure there are min. requirements to matriculate into Brown Med)...

3. Biohazard

Biohazard Member
    7+ Year Member

Let me give you a piece of advice,
    go to the easiest possible pre-med and you'll be set. The reasons become obvious AFTER you're in medicine...
    You'll get to any medschool if you have all the requirements plus a good mcat score, and nobody in medschool will give a crap what kind of biology degree you have or from where. PLUS pre-med does NOT prepare you for medical school, it has nothing to do with medicine!
    Once in medschool, it doesnt matter where you are becasue if you apply yourself and get good board scores you can get into any residency program in the country.

You can go to a local community college, then to mississippi state med school and still end up in a neuro-surgery residency. When you're finally out of school all your patients will care about is your IQ, and nobody will ever care where you got your insignificant batchelors degree.