Brown vrs Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jada99

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers. I am posting this trend cause I need your input to help decide which undergrad to go to. Anyway, he is interested in medicine and has been admitted to DUKE and BROWN both gave him a full ride scholarship. We are all in a dilemma as to which school he should go to and I would love to hear your input. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello SDNers. I am posting this trend cause I need your input to help decided which undergrad to go to. Anyway, he is interested in medicine and has been admitted to DUKE and BROWN both gave him a full ride scholarship. We are all in a dilemma as to which school he should go to and I would love to hear your input. Thanks!!!

I found that really hard to read....

Whether you choose Brown or Duke, it will have no impact on medical school admissions.

I found that really hard to read....

Whether you choose Brown or Duke, it will have no impact on medical school admissions.
don't go to duke. They discriminate against white people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello SDNers. I am posting this trend cause I need your input to help decided which undergrad to go to. Anyway, he is interested in medicine and has been admitted to DUKE and BROWN both gave him a full ride scholarship. We are all in a dilemma as to which school he should go to and I would love to hear your input. Thanks!!!

Well, before picking a school, I'd first suggest picking an identity...

Also, Duke and Brown are *drastically* different schools, so it shouldn't be too hard to choose which you/he/they prefer.

lol...so what. it's unfortunate they failed out but discrimination against white peole is not the reason...they need to not be idiots.

lol...so what. it's unfortunate they failed out but discrimination against white peole is not the reason...they need to not be idiots.
are you ****ting me. they were failed, then later, after they complained, the administration "realized" that they actually hadn't failed. they were given Ds. BTW, the only two people to fail that class were both members of the duke lacrosse team.

**** that school. you couldn't pay me to go there.

Well, before picking a school, I'd first suggest picking an identity...

Come on Foofish, give me a break!!! I made a mistake and left out "helping my brother decide" If you don't have much to offer than please don't waste my time which such a post.

In terms of purely being premed - I'd say theres only one thing that might affect your choice - average grades and student competitiveness, since GPA matters first and foremost in med school admission. Couldn't tell you more in terms of undergrad, not my alma mater...

Other than that... there's really no home court advantage in med school apps...so you should pick on what kind of undergraduate environment you want. My opinions based upon four years ago was that Duke is southern, warm weather, not in a city, more preppy/Waspish culture. Heard it has excellent biomed departments, don't know much personally. Brown is much colder but in a semi urban area, left-ist student body with a reputation in the liberal arts, and the open curriculum.

Come on Foofish, give me a break!!! I made a mistake and left out "helping my brother decide" If you don't have much to offer than please don't waste my time which such a post.

In all honesty, that is a pretty integral part of the question... Now ask your brother what his priorities/interests are because we really cant help you unless you give us at least that much.

Finally, choosing an undergrad program solely on getting into med school is dumb. that only matters when choosing between - say, UNT and Harvard. duke and brown will prepare your brother just as well. tell him to follow his passions... that is what education is all about.

I went to duke ugrad so let me chime in:

duke prides itself in being a pre-professional powerhouse (be it premed, prelaw, prebusiness, etc)

go to http://prehealth.trinity.duke.edu/

if you go to this website you can see that 1) duke students do exceptionally well in the med school process consistently year in/year out 2) prehealth advising at duke is very committed and extremely helpful

i agree with the above post that states that your brother will likely do exceptionally well whether he goes to brown or duke (they dont just hand out scholarships to anyone).

i cant speak for brown, but science courses at duke are extremely rigorous yet somehow not hopkinsesque in competition. many students (most students) do drop out after taking some/all of the premed courses. there are exceptional research opportunities and there is a strong connection to the medical school (you'll have a leg-up in getting into one of the most respected medical schools in the nation...trust me, its probably how i got in..hah).

also, in all honesty, all the racial crap at duke has been blown way out of proportion.

Brown doesn't have +s or -s so if you get a 90 in every class you still end up with a 4.0.

right on.

I went to Brown. I thought it was a great place to be premed. Why? Because outside of your premed/concentration reqs (which often can be combined), you can take whatever you want. It really gives you the opportunity to study random subjects outside of biology/medicine, if that's your thing. Or you could do the opposite and really immerse yourself in a given field. That's the beauty of the curriculum. Also because Brown is an institution where the emphasis truly is on undergraduates (e.g., ALL faculty are required to regularly teach UGs; grad programs are very small), opportunities for research are abundant, because you typically don't have to compete with grad students. All of my mentoring was phenomenal in this regard. Teaching was stellar too because faculty that aren't interested in teaching do not seek appointments at Brown because of the teaching requirement. Also, we tend to have very happy students. That being said, the premed courses are very rigorous. Someone mentioned above: "hey just get 90s and you'll have a 4.0" This is true in theory, but one thing you have to realize is that without +/- distinctions, competition for As is quite fierce in premed courses like orgo. It's not exactly a walk in the park...