Brown vs GWU? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedFox96

Reaction score
Feel like I’m torn between what I know I should do, and the location I want to be in.

Brown:

-Loved the campus, faculty, and students. Felt like I “clicked” there on interview day. I cried when I got in.
-Administration seems the most supportive and responsive by far.
-Last year’s match list was incredible.
-Only medical school in the state, so more opportunities for rotations.
-Tuition ~20k/year with scholarships.

GWU:
-Felt less of a click with the students and faculty. Students I met seemed less enthused about the school and their classmates than at Brown, but perhaps this is bias/sample size.
-I love DC and have always wanted to live there.
-Have a great support system around DC already.
-Match list was less impressive than Brown’s, but I think hardworking people can do well and make connections wherever they go.
-I’m not overly focused on research, but want the option of pursuing global health opportunities or an MBA – not sure yet.
-Tuition fully covered.

I was blown away by Brown on my interview day. But I don’t know if it’s worth turning down a full-ride. I also have always wanted to live in DC, and I’m afraid if I don’t pursue that chance now I won’t be able to enjoy it in the same way as a resident (I’m a non-traditional applicant, will be past 30 when I graduate med school). Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

This is incredibly helpful advice, thank you!!

I made the list and Brown came out ahead point-wise, but in my gut I still feel a pull towards DC. I lived there for a summer back in college, and I loved going to museums, waking up and running on the National Mall, going out with friends on U Street, the art and restaurant scene, etc. Maybe the FOMO I'm feeling is based on those past experiences.

As for Brown cons:
- Their PLME program means half to a third of their class comes directly from their undergrad. Can anyone comment on whether this affects the vibe/maturity of the class? From what I've seen a lot of growth can happen after college, especially for people who choose to enter the workforce for a year or two. As an older applicant I'm afraid I'd have a harder time meshing with students if most of the class is significantly younger than I am.
- Providence is a small city, I worry I'd get stir-crazy after a year

Reactions: 1 user
If you are non-traditional, avoid Brown. The program is VERY geared toward the PLME program in terms of support and the culture. Plus, most of your classmates will be just out of undergrad. DC is a better place to learn medicine; Providence is cheaper, but it is pretty homogenous, very small and very quiet.

I interviewed at both.

I feel like Brown is a school you should definitely consider.

Addressing your cons:

1) plme: from what I seen yeah a lot of kids actually are from Brown but a lot of them are diverse themselves. Also a lot of the med students have said that after a while there really isn't a distinction. Plme means nothing in med school at that point. Also it's been said that a lot of them tend to be eager to meet new people not in Brown.

Also I noticed the brown tries hard to recruit diverse students outside of plme just because of the nature of plme. A lot of the plme folks were really diverse in experience and background so I wouldn't worry too much.

2) I agree that Providence is small but you can always go up to Boston if you wanted. It's not far also you have to remember how expensive DC is too.

I think this depends on prove difference. Anything over 100k go to GW.