BRS Behavioral vs. High-Yield Behavioral vs. Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wonderboy00

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and I"m taking the test on May 29th. I'm really sorry to bring up this topic again bc I'm sure it's been covered already, but I was wondering what you guys think is the best resource to use for behavioral. I understand that brs and high-yield are both from the same author, but most people here seem to recommend high yield and so i wanted to see what the advantage to that is. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

BRS Behavioral and HY Behavioral are essentially identical, and more than sufficient for Step 1. Pay special attention to the ethical stuff and how to respond to patients.

I've never looked at the Kaplan book, so I can't comment on that.

BRS Behavioral and HY Behavioral are essentially identical, and more than sufficient for Step 1. Pay special attention to the ethical stuff and how to respond to patients.

i have to agree. HY behavioral sciences was a great fast read. it did a great job of preparing you for the ethical "what will you do/say next" questions. the developmental milestones chapters were great too. kaplan (at least the home study series) did not specifically attend to these topics, but compensated by doing a great job of explaining drug of abuse and other important topics in psychiatry (as opposed to behavioral sciences). i thought that both books complemented each other very well, especially in such topics which usually 'hamstrings' people.

Good Luck

BRS behavior is a more detailed version of HY behavior. i thought HY was more than sufficient.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone compared the new edition of HY behavioral with the 2001 edition? Significant differences?

To follow-up since no one has responded, has anyone used the brand new (2008) HY behavioral science book? Or, do y'all find the 2001 edition to still be sufficient? Thanks!