BRS Pathology Edition 3 and First Aid 2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kashue

No longer a USMLE JUNKIE!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just ordered the new editions and wanted to let everyone know they are out.

Members don't see this ad.

Kashue said:
Just ordered the new editions and wanted to let everyone know they are out.

Yeah, the '06 edition of FA finally hit the bookshelves on Thursday. Got my copy from Barnes and Nobles.

The new FA is actually very different from the '05 edition. The material is mostly the same, but they've completely changed the organization. It is structured for a systems-based review instead of subject-based like in previous years. I really like it and think it was a smart move on behalf of McGraw-Hill. Now they're really gonna blow Step Up out of the water...

Hey guys, any changes as far as BRS Path is concrened?

coolmavs said:
Hey guys, any changes as far as BRS Path is concrened?

Yeah, can anyone comment if it's worth getting the 3rd ed? I inherited a 2nd ed for dirt cheap but it has a lot of highlighting/annotating in it..

bonnie

Members don't see this ad :)
I just picked up my First Aid 2006 today and compared it to a free copy that I got from my friend (2004 edition). How does everyone feel about the systems based approach? It's a bit early but one of my roommates was talking about doing the systems based approach while another friend was going about a course-based approach to the Step 1. Any ideas as whether the systems-based is better for integration purposes?

missbonnie said:
Yeah, can anyone comment if it's worth getting the 3rd ed? I inherited a 2nd ed for dirt cheap but it has a lot of highlighting/annotating in it..

bonnie

Im getting mine tomorrow but one thing is for sure, they have changed all their questions to USMLE type Q's. No more except, at least, etc Q's. And the book is 42 pages thicker then 2nd edition which I guess that means more updated information. I really hope they streamlined some sections. I'll let everyone know tomorrow about the book when I get my copy.

SkylineMD said:
I just picked up my First Aid 2006 today and compared it to a free copy that I got from my friend (2004 edition). How does everyone feel about the systems based approach? It's a bit early but one of my roommates was talking about doing the systems based approach while another friend was going about a course-based approach to the Step 1. Any ideas as whether the systems-based is better for integration purposes?

I actually prefer the systems-based approach. Our curriculum at PCOM is systems-based and studying for Step 1 using the same approach just makes more sense.

The only quarrel in years past about FA was that it wasn't in systems-format. They've really Stepped-Up (no pun intended) to the plate in 2006. I don't see why anyone would rate Step-Up > FA for boards from here on...

Undecided1 said:
I'm sticking with my 2004 edition that I got for free.

Unless money is an issue and/or you've annotated the hell out of your 2004 FA, I don't see why you wouldn't want to get the '06 edition. Yes, most of the stuff is the same, but they've made some considerable changes in the '06 edition. Not to mention this will be your main source for Step 1.

DOCTORSAIB said:
Unless money is an issue and/or you've annotated the hell out of your 2004 FA, I don't see why you wouldn't want to get the '06 edition. Yes, most of the stuff is the same, but they've made some considerable changes in the '06 edition. Not to mention this will be your main source for Step 1.

I heard they just took the same info from the previous edition and put it in a systems based format. Same info, different organization. Same thing in the end.

Yeah, i just looked at the FA 2006 in our bookstore... it's all the same info, just organized differently. Since about 1/4 of my FA is already pretty well annotated, i'm just sticking with the 2005.

Misterioso said:
I heard they just took the same info from the previous edition and put it in a systems based format. Same info, different organization. Same thing in the end.

You're right, most of the info is the same. However, there are some minor changes and additions. Since we're doing neuro right now, I noticed that the spinal tracts section was beefed up considerably and some misspellings were corrected (Foramen of Magendie).

I've yet to compare/contrast the other sections but I'm sure there are additions. 2005 FA had ~468 pages while the new 2006 FA has ~502 pages.

In conclusion, having the newest edition probably will not make or break you. Stick to whatever makes you feel most comfortable. G'luck.

FA is merely a recipe. If you are using it as a sole means to success you will be very dissapointed.

mcandy said:
FA is merely a recipe. If you are using it as a sole means to success you will be very dissapointed.

Agreed.

It is not enough by itself, but it is certainly important to master FA. After reading hundreds of post-Step 1 reviews from top scorers, the number one advice is "know FA very well."

Hence, the discussion on this thread.

I inherited the 2004 FA in a binder. It's easier to flip through and it's nice to be able to take a couple pages out to study instead of carrying the whole book--not that it's that thick, I'm just hate carrying around too much crap.

Hehe I thought I was the only one anal enough to do that.

HunterGatherer said:
Does anyone do anything like lamination or put their book in a binder to preserve their copies of First Aid over the years?